Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRetired
Cracked Corn Tek
    #4038421 - 04/10/05 07:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

When using a grain substrate to grow do you shake after inoculation?

do you shake during the colonization process?

when the myc grows it grows threw the whole thing..right? so if i were to break it open there would be myc in there?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRetired
Re: Cracked Corn Tek [Re: Retired]
    #4038443 - 04/10/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

has anyone here used cracked corn tek?

what were the pros and cons? what shoudl i make sure i do when using it?

OfflineRetired
    #4040064 - 04/11/05 06:15 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

still no one here knows about cracked corn?

Offlinejeeperscreepers
Stranger
    #4041351 - 04/11/05 02:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Cracked Corn Tek [Re: jeeperscreepers]
    #4041366 - 04/11/05 02:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

cracked corn = sux

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #4041431 - 04/11/05 02:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Cracked corn:
Pros:  Cheap as hell
Colonizes REALLY quickly
Holds water decently

Cons: Big peices mean somewhat less effective seeding of bulk substrates (but it's cheap, so use more!)
Sterilization by PC can be kinda iffy, due to a goodly amount of bacterial endospores present in the corn from the field.
I've always suffered losses when using only the boiling/pc method......am currently doing trials on fractional sterilization that i'm sure will clear up the issue once and for all, but can't post it until i get a microscope and some agar to do some good confirmation.

Current method i'll suggest:  Boil for ~30 minutes, or until the corn is slightly slimy.slippery,  and all kernels (even the largest) can be broken apart (not squished) by pressing them between your thumbnail and your index finger.
This part can take some time to get used to, but like i've said, 9 bucks for 50 lbs is freakin cheap enough to play around with.

Then, place into strainer, rinse throughly with cold water (until the water runs  clear) and leave to drain until it stops dripping (usually about 45 minutes to an hour)

Place into jars, throw into incubation chamber overnight.
Next day, take a pot with a lid, fill it with an appropriate amount of water, put your jars in, close the lid.
Once the steam builds up to a fair amount, start timing.
Go for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on what size jar you're using (careful not to cook the bastards.....i usually go ~50 minutes with half gallon jars)

Remove to incubation chamber overnight)

repeat the process of the steaming the next day.

The primary endospore involved in the bacterial contamination is a bacillus spp., and everyhing i've read seems to indicate that even the slowest to recover won't take more than 72 hours from the introduction of good growing conditions, and usually takes less, altho i have yet to confirm this for myself.

Adjust cooking times by the characteristics of the corn......i tend to cook ~ 4 gallons worth at a time, so it takes a bit longer (and quart jars seems to take quite a bit less time in the steam.....30-45 mintues)

Be wary of actually cooking the substrate tho....that's bad.
So once the water starts boiling/simmering when you're doing the initial prep, turn the heat down as low as will maintain a light simmering, and remember to stir.....haven't had any significant problems with steam cooking em, but i'd suggest keeping the jars out of direct contact with the bottom of the pot (old towel, rack like in a pressure cooker, etc)

I won't say this is foolproof (yet) but it seems to be the best way i've tried (and ya don't need a PC!  Altho you could  trade out a second steam bath for a shorter PC'ing....)

If ya do this, take notes, and share.....i'm of the opinion that this substrate is overlooked due to less than explicit directions and an apparent lack of experience.

I'll stop typing now, hope some of this helped :smile:

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate