Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources
    #4040911 - 04/11/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

its tough i dont have a copy of Acid Dreams or an actual copy of LSD MY prioblem child, i have the online text of problem child but i need the page numbers because ican onlly have 2 online sources, one of which is erowid and the other is for the pharmacoilogy seciton of the paper.

its hilarious im writing the hwole damn thing from memory, and then looking up resources that i can site!

haha when im done copies are going to be avaliable for everyone

peace

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4040931 - 04/11/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

damnit now i need my copy of TIHKAL too! i need to show the distribution of lsd within the body, the study where it was tagged with radioactive markers, and i need to show its absorption. on its not enough that i know all of this i have to cite it.

fuck these things are all over town..... and now i have to go get them... oh and one more thing this paper is due at 7 pm, i have 6 hours :smile:

if i finish this in time i deserve to eat some :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4040932 - 04/11/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

LOL, i thought u meant "under the influence" of lsd.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #4040935 - 04/11/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hahaha :thumbup:

Good luck

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4040939 - 04/11/05 12:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Good luck :smile:. If I can think of anything that can help you I'll let you know, well, good luck :cool:.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources [Re: gdman]
    #4040970 - 04/11/05 12:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yeah luckily erowid includes alot of the origonal research sources so i can site the webpages like i was reading 20 year old journals :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#4040977 - 04/11/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

haha i haxd a great ideal im going to print the whole thing on un-perfed white blottter from the art store!!!

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#4041096 - 04/11/05 12:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

almost done!!! damn im getting good at these things. all ihave to cover now is the pharmacokinetics
like the mechanism of action
addiciton
and surrent usage :smile:

hey someone give me a spiel of their last acid trip and ill quote ya in my  paper :smile:i can still

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4041106 - 04/11/05 01:00 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My girlfriend's grandpa just died so I'm finishing the last 5 pages of her paper on LSD and Mescaline for her while she goes home to see her parents. I love writing about drugs for school.  This paper is for a class called Body and Soul, and we're arguing that the mind rationalizes the body's input before it hits the soul, acting as a filter, and that drugs allow the mind to be bypassed in a way so that the body and soul directly communicate with one another and achieve unity.

:thumbup: drugs :thumbup:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4041214 - 04/11/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

well shit if oyu need a copy that details the pharmacology and how it affects the brain adiciton, comon usage and so on let me know :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4041219 - 04/11/05 01:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Haha actually it's definitely more of a thematic/theoretical paper than anything scientific.  Dealing mainly with The Psychedelic Experience, The Teachings of Don Juan, and some anthologies.

Thanks though! :thumbup:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Edited by OneMoreRobot3021 (04/11/05 01:28 PM)

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4041264 - 04/11/05 01:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

What class is this for, just curious? A psych class, a bio class? Great choice of topic by the way :cool:.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources [Re: gdman]
    #4041275 - 04/11/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'd love to read both papers :grin:
If you don't mind of course...

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Invisibleadrug

#4041279 - 04/11/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zippoz said:
haha i haxd a great ideal im going to print the whole thing on un-perfed white blottter from the art store!!!

haha Great idea!

Invisiblephalloidin

#4041318 - 04/11/05 02:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

does your library have access to online databases like scifinder or cognet? Something like that would probably be your best source for information. You can find full articles from all sorts of scientific journals.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources [Re: phalloidin]
    #4041469 - 04/11/05 02:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

all done :smile: 2 pages too long too. haha

yeah i have 6 sources not including my text from class, only problem is that i quoted lsd my problem child from an onlines sourec and ihave to go to borders to see if they have the print copy because im only allowed 2 interenet sources... :frown: blah
id make up numbers, actually i think i will make em up, ythis dude aint gonna care, then again i can just bbuy a copy i want one anyways...

--------------------
PEACE

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Loc: pnw
    #4041483 - 04/11/05 02:53 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Would be bad ass if you posted the finished product =]

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources [Re: moosehead]
    #4041664 - 04/11/05 03:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm doing my English research paper on LSD too. THe topic is "bio power" about how the government has control over one's body, and I'm going to focus on LSD and how it became illegal, MK-ULTRA, all that fun stuff. Timothy Leary will defenitely be mentioned.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: im at the library writing a research paper on LSD! and theyre lacking resources [Re: freddurgan]
    #4042057 - 04/11/05 05:03 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

LSD, Still With Us
On April 16 1946 in the offices of Sandoz Pharmaceuticals, Albert Hoffman created LSD. One of the most potent psychedelics known to man. Over the years it would be used as a medicine, a weapon and a drug around the world. It would be claimed to be everything form a medical cure, a key to enlightenment, a way to experience schitsophrenia , and a destroyer of lives. All the while this chemical, active in doses approximately equal to the size of a grain of salt, is still being studied. While medical professionals around the world have studied, in depth, the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the drug and learned a wealth of knowledge, Yet many aspects of this drug are not completely known.
LSD belongs to a class of drugs known as the Indole Psychedelics, and is known as LSD (lysergic acid diethyl amide,) or as LSD-25. The number 25 coming from the fact that it was the 25th Lysergic Acid derivative created by Albert Hoffman (Weil et al. 95). On the street LSD is commonly referred to as: acid, doses, microdots, gel tabs, window pane, and blotter; among other names. AS far as brand names are concerned only one company held the patent for the legal production of LSD, a Swiss chemical company named Sandoz Pharmaceuticals where it was marketed under the name Delysid.
In the 60 some years that LSD has been in circulation through out the world it?s preparations have been as varied as its users. What must be understood is that LSD is active in a very small dose. An active dose of LSD is about the size of a single grain of salt, and an overwhelmingly high dose about the size of 2 to 3 grains of salt. Being so small LSD could be prepared in a variety of mediums. Originally LSD was sold from Sandoz Pharmaceuticals in ampoules of 1 ml. containing 0.1 mg. (100 ug.) for oral administration. Over time as LSD moved from the medical world to the pop culture scene, and became used as an inebriant, LSD was found in many different preparations. Even more so as LSD started becoming synthesized by illicit laboratories methods of concealment were added to its preparations. This lead to the creations of LSD blotters. Where a calibrated LSD solution was created and colorful pieces of thick blotter paper were dipped in to it. Given a standard thickness and absorption of the paper a dose could be calibrated by a square quarter inch of paper, the standard dose size for blotters. LSD was also pressed into tiny pills weighing no more than 10 milligrams called micro dots. These methods of preparation were not only practical but they were methods of concealment. As LSD became illegal users had to hide their ?stash? and many of the colored blotters were traded in for plain white imperforated sheets of paper, anecdotally passed over by law enforcment during searches. There are also reports of Lsd being placed into gel capsules in the early 60?s. Other methods of LSD preparation included diluting the pure crystal into liquid, usually high proof ethanol, and placing the liquid into vials or breath drop and eye drop bottles. Usually since it is very difficult to measure and calibrate a dose of LSD without sophisticated equipment the preparations are often handled by one of the few illicit chemists that synthesize the drug, creating 1000?s to millions of the same strength doses on the same carrier medium which allowed their product to gain popularity and notoriety. For example the lsd would be called by the name of the picture or images on the blotters I.e. Blue unicorns or Felix the Cats. However do to the fact that LSD rapidly degrades under the presence of sunlight, contact with air, and water most of these preparations quickly lost potency over a matter of days if not handled with extreme caution. (Poijarvi)

The Pharmacokinetics of LSD are also very interesting. ?LSD is absorbed easily and completely through the gastrointestinal tract. It is therefore unnecessary to inject LSD, except for special purposes. Experiments on mice with radioactively labeled LSD have established that intravenously injected LSD disappeared down to a small vestige, very rapidly from the bloodstream and was distributed throughout the organism. Unexpectedly, the lowest concentration is found in the brain. It is concentrated here in certain centers of the midbrain that play a role in the regulation of emotion. Such findings give indications as to the localization of certain psychic functions in the brain. The concentration of LSD in the various organs attains maximum values 10 to 15 minutes after injection, then falls off again swiftly. The small intestine, in which the concentration attains the maximum within two hours, constitutes an exception. The elimination of LSD is conducted for the most part (up to some 80 percent) through the intestine via liver and bile. Only 1 to 10 percent of the elimination product exists as unaltered LSD; the remainder is made up of various transformation products.? (Hoffman 26). With its small active dose it is not very surprising that LSD remains in the body for a short period of time ?The rates of excretion of LSD and N-demethyl-LSD reached maxima in urine collected at time intervals of 4-6 and 8-10 h after administration, respectively. The elimination half-lives for LSD and N-demethyl-LSD were 3.6 and 10.0 h, respectively? (Lim et al. 1420-1425) Although the pharmacokinetics of LSD may seem complicated due to its notoriety and popularity as a street drug, it is a prime suspect for research.
As far as LSD?s Mechanism of action in the brain, the puzzle is far from solved yet the scientific world has managed to understand parts of the puzzle. Most of the studies revolve around the inhibition of 5-HT in the forebrain. ?The current thesis of the effect of Indole hallucinogens on 5-hydroxytrypamine might be stated as follows: LSD acts to preferentially inhibit serotonergic cell firing and seems to spare postsynaptic esoteric receptors. This preference is shared by other similar hallucinogens but in a limited fashion. Non-hallucinogenic analogs of LSD show no preference. These results suggest that there are two different steric conformation of serotonergic receptors, one of which has higher affinity for LSD than the other. In general, 5-HT is an inhibitory transmitter; thus, when its activity is decreased, the next neuron in the chain is freed from inhibition and becomes more active. Since serotnergic systems appear to be intimately involved in eh control of sensation, sleep, attention, and mood, it may be possible to explain the actions of LSD and other hallucinogens by their dis-inhibition of these critical systems.? (Poijarvi) Un-fortunately current research is still not sure of LSD?s mechanism of action, and currently there is no legal research involving human experiments with LSD anywhere in the world.
Many other notes should be made on LSD?s current usage in the medical and psychiatric worlds, along with its street usage and addiction potential. As is stated above there are currently no human studies on LSD taking place anywhere in the world. However there is at least one group that is attempting to re-new studies on LSD along with Psilocybin. The organization, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies also known as MAPS is currently petitioning McLean IRB and the FDA for permission to undertake a study on the drugs effects on cluster headaches. Interestingly enough non psychoactive Ergotimines such as Ergotimine Tartrate, one of the precursor chemicals to synthesize LSD and Ergotamine Methysergide are currently being used to stop headaches and relieve pain. Users of some of these drugs report that they loose effectiveness over time. Also there are daily dose limits on the medication which often leaves the patient suffering from a headache with nothing to relieve the pain. Current case reports suggest that not only can LSD relieve the pain of a cluster headache, it can actually disrupt the cycle of headaches ?Drs. Halpern and Sewell are currently developing a randomized, dose-response study of psilocybin and LSD in people with episodic cluster headaches. If approved by the McLean IRB and the FDA, this research study will take place at McLean Hospital, a psychiatric facility and research hospital affiliated with Harvard Medical School. The investigators are currently working on designing a pilot study wherein people will be assigned to receive low or higher doses of psilocybin or LSD to see whether these substances will interrupt an ongoing cluster headache cycle. If study results are promising, then further research studies will be designed and conducted. We hope that this research program will lead to psilocybin and LSD becoming legal, prescription treatments for the interruption of cluster headaches and cluster headache cycles.? (MAPS)
Currently MAPS is currently treating Post traumatic stress disorder with MDMA, including combat related cases.
While there may be no legitimate human trials going on in the world using LSD, the underground LSD market is still thriving. The DEA continues to report that LSD is available in user quantities in every state on that nation. However the arrest and prosecution of Leonard Pickard, and the shut down of his LSD laboratory has lead to a large lack of availability of the drug. However anyone that has attended a Phish show or has gone to any large musical event will tell you that there are still people using LSD if you look hard enough. A note should be made on the addiction potential for LSD. Physically there is no addiction that forms. However psychologically there can be an addiction. Most of the psychological addiction does not come from the love of the experience itself but from the escape from reality. With LSD tolerance is built after a dose and lasts for about 3 days before an experience can be repeated(Poijarvi). . Often a user may have what is referred to a bad trip where negative thoughts begin to loop around in ones head, leading to a very depressed state and negative emotions that are very frightening while under the influence. Most of which can be attributed to a negative set and setting (cohen 291-296). In the end most users find LSD so powerful and often spiritual that they do not want to repeat the experience until a much later time.
Overall LSD is a very interesting Drug. For only having been around for 60 some years, it has already swept the world and started a movement. From the scientists and chemists of the Swiss laboratories of Sandoz Pharmaceuticals, to the beats and hippies of the Haight Asbury district of San Francisco. Though the time where it was heavily researched in humans has past we have learned much about it. We know that its primary effect is caused by the inhibiting the natural 5-HT processes of the brain, and that the smallest amount of the drug when distributed in the body lies in the brain. We also know that with its short lived half life that it is almost completely out of the body within days. We know that it is not physically addicting, but can be psychologically addictive depending on the user and their motives for using. But there is so much more that we do not know, things that we should learn to better understand this drug, this chemical. Knowledge is power, perhaps we can find the power to end a horrible cycle of cluster headaches, perhaps not. But only more research and time can tell.

Works Cited

cohen, Sidney . "LSD: The varieties of psychotic experience." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs October 1985: 291-296.

Hoffman, Albert. LSD My Problem Child. 1st ed. New York: McGraw-Hill , 1980.

Lim, Heng Keang, D Andrenyak, P Francom, and R.L Foltz. "Quantification of LSD and N-demethyl-LSD in urine by gas." Analytical Chemistry 60.14 (1988): 1420-1425.

Poijarvi, Jani. "LSD faq #2." LSD faq #2. 12 Feb. 1995. Erowid. 11 Apr. 2005 http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_faq2.shtml.

"Research into psilocybin and LSD as cluster headache treatment." MAPS. 11 Apr. 2005 http://www.maps.org/research/cluster/psilo-lsd/.

Weil, Andrew, and Winfred Rosen. From Chocolate to Morphine. 2nd ed. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1993.

--------------------
PEACE

Edited by zippoz (04/11/05 05:30 PM)

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#4042060 - 04/11/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

do some first hand research! and put it on yer bibliography. thatd be tits

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals