Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenatedogg
Stranger
casing question
    #4038836 - 04/10/05 09:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hey i cased 6 cakes in two different containers. I couldnt find 50/50 casing mix but i found a jiffymix with 78% peat moss 20% perlite and 1% lime buffer. My question is will this be a suitable casing mix. im mostly only concerned about the ph levels being that it is mostl peat moss which has a low ph. will the low amount of lome be enough of a ph buffer. also if it is a little low on ph how much will it affect my flush size?

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: casing question [Re: natedogg]
    #4038868 - 04/10/05 09:33 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

probably will work good not perfect but good, and it prolyl wont make much of a difference in the flush size u should try to get ahold of som calcium carbonate sand for a long term buffer in addition to the lime buffer which is only a short term buffer

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: casing question [Re: natedogg]
    #4038873 - 04/10/05 09:36 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Generally soils like jiffymix are pH balanced to suit the majority of plants that prefer a near neutral pH. Though 1% lime buffer might not seem like much depending on the form of lime it is most likely quite adequate. If youre pH is off (and I have experimented with this on purpose and by accident) you will have a harder time getting your casing to fruit, if you do at all. Depending on whether the pH is too high or too low you will see different results. If the pH is too low and your casing is acidic you will have harsher, longer lasting results. If its of by more than 1 point, or a factor of 10X, you might not see any results at all. If your pH is to high and you casing is basic then you'll still have a problem with fruiting, but after the first flush you will see dramatic improvement due to the acidification of the casing due to metabolic by products. But, all of this aside I think you'll do just fine with that jiffymix. I personally don't like it, and it tends to be fortified with nutrients which encourage contamination. Good luck, don't overmist with that stuff... it hold moisture a bit too well.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Offlinepyriel
Stranger

Loc: CA
Re: casing question [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4038944 - 04/10/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I attempted to case with jiffymix as well. It does work. However I found it didn't work as well as 50/50. My thoughts were because there wasn't enough water in the casing. Mushrooms did grow though. I would try a 50/50 of jiffy and verm as the verm will help hold onto some of the water content.

--------------------
Wait... Am I on Salvia?

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: casing question [Re: pyriel]
    #4039127 - 04/10/05 10:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

How do you go about adjusting the pH of a casing mix?

--------------------

Offlinenatedogg
Stranger
    #4039134 - 04/10/05 10:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

thanks a lot guys. now i know i can ask ill go ahead with a few more questions. I cant seem to get my temps above 75, thats what temp my casings are incubatiog at right now. How much longer am i looking at incubating the casings before i can fruit them as opposed to temps around 83-84, and also when i do fruit them will it make a difference since they fruit at the temps ive been incubatiing them at. I of course will also help induce fruiting by giving light and fanning. Also how important is it that you use only a dark container with light only getting through the top? thanks again, this is my first time and up to now im doing alright but i want to keep it that way.

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: casing question [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4039139 - 04/10/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Peat moss to lower it and lime or calcium carbonate to raise it?

--------------------

Offlinepyriel
Stranger

Loc: CA
Re: casing question [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4039869 - 04/11/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Peat moss to lower it and lime or calcium carbonate to raise it?

I believe lime, cocoa coir, and peatmoss help to keep your ph levels down.

Some are more direct and some work over time.

--------------------
Wait... Am I on Salvia?

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4039889 - 04/11/05 02:05 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

what is the proper PH?w

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: casing question [Re: xburn]
    #4040034 - 04/11/05 05:20 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

7 is the proper pH cuz its neutral

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies