Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Contamination, very minor area - still a major problem?
    #4038842 - 04/10/05 09:23 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Recently a few jars I started by grain to grain have filled out and colonized quite well. However, in two jars I see very small areas of what looks like contamination. In one jar this takes the form of one rye kernal being a dark green, the same as you would see on an old peice of bread or cheese. It seems quite isolated and boxed in by the healthy culture. It has not spread in two days of observation, and seems to be fading out into black coloration. The healthy culture doesn't want to move in on this yucky kernal though, so its a tiny island in a healthy quart jar, maybe 1/1000 of the total area in the jar. In my second problem jar in an area about the size of a quarter, four different healthy colonized kernals have tiny bright pink spots on them. They look like little balls about the size of a period on a senctence and are on the surface only of those four kernals, the rest seems colonized by healthy culture. Since the jars seem 99.9% healthy I was wondering if they would still be viable choices for using in the future. My position right now is to see if the contamination spreads, or is defeated by the mightier white culture. It should be noted that I let another jar do the same thing, but I knew its fate from the begining, that jar was Aspergillus Niger, and something bright yellow, I could tell the force was with that contamination. Should I wait and see, or just give up right away, and not risk contaminating an entire casing with these pests. Another option I've considered is casing these contaminated jars together and seperate from the healthy jars if they defeat the invasion. I'd do this because I'm afraid even if it looks like they are gone, they might be lurking in stasis.

Where's my expert advice?! I hate contamination!

p.s. I think the problem originated during the grain to grain procedure, I winged it - this is the first time I've ever had a problem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepyriel
Stranger

Loc: CA
Re: Contamination, very minor area - still a major problem? [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4038902 - 04/10/05 09:49 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Should I wait and see, or just give up right away, and not risk contaminating an entire casing with these pests. Another option I've considered is casing these contaminated jars together and seperate from the healthy jars if they defeat the invasion. I'd do this because I'm afraid even if it looks like they are gone, they might be lurking in stasis.

Lipstick mold (the pink stuff I think you have.) Wont be attacked by the myc in my experience. The myc should grow over the lipstick mold. However it will still be there. If you can see lipstick mold there is a probably lot that you cant see as well. In all likley hood the lipstick will come back when cased. Best bet is to just cut the clean myc and try to start more jars.

Is it possible to get a picture up?

--------------------
Wait... Am I on Salvia?

Edited by pyriel (04/10/05 09:49 PM)

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Contamination, very minor area - still a major problem? [Re: pyriel]
    #4038916 - 04/10/05 09:53 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Thankyou, lipstick describes the color perfectly (my gf used those exact words). I'll toss the jars then rather than risk it. I am sad to see the contamination, but happy to get some experience dealing with it (learing various types, and qualities).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale