Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Security and Safety

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
Airport Question (Cash)
    #4038393 - 04/10/05 09:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, I heard this from a random guy that I don't know at all. He seems to be a conspiracy theorist, but this is what he said:

Apparently the magnetic strips in cash bills can be detected by technologies at airports. Once the PATRIOT Act was passed, it made it legal for the authorities/security at any US airport to identify persons who are carrying $500 in cash or more as terrorists/drug dealers. They may detain and question you for this reason alone. Then it is up to the cash-carrier to prove otherwise.

Okay, so I didn't believe this guy, but he ALSO said that the ink on cash bills is a special formula that never dries, which is a method to combat counterfeiting. I didn't believe THIS either, but some friends of mine and I tried it, and sure enough... the ink rubbed right off onto a blank sheet of paper. This worked with an old and worn bill and a crisp, perfectly new bill.

Anyone heard this, and if so, is it true? I tried to research it but came up with nothing online... if it is, it's really scary...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: Airport Question (Cash) [Re: GatorB]
    #4038513 - 04/10/05 10:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The magnetic strips in cash is bullshit cause they're not magnetic, it's just plastic, which the last time I checked wasn't magnetic.

The 500 dollars in cash thing is bullshit as well, you can goto another country with no more than 10,000 dollars in cash.

The ink is dry, there is just alot on there and it will smear, that's just how that ink works. That guy that got arrested for paying with 2 dollar bills was arrested because the ink was smearing on the bills. A secret service agent later said that the ink on money will sometimes smear.

So there ya go.

InvisibleMasonsChild
Fellow Traveler>^..^<

Loc: Upper Midwest
Re: Airport Question (Cash) [Re: discoabe]
    #4046247 - 04/12/05 04:06 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I remember for a while on 93-94 GDtour removing a lot of the security strips from large bills, and spreading out large bills throughout the lot(beer sales) and local stores,(beer sales, a bike and a messenger bag) before rebuying with smaller or fresher off lot bills. Rumors of infrared treated bills being tracked by the camerea on the venue roof.
For airline, just don't have much more than you *LOOK* like you should have for tha type of trip you are taking.

--------------------
Truckin' ain't for Sally's

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Airport Question (Cash) [Re: MasonsChild]
    #4048795 - 04/13/05 03:53 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The "magnetic strips" are actually nonmagnetic polyester filaments--won't help Big Brother count your cash in the least. The filament, which is embedded in the bill to the left of the Federal Reserve seal and says USA TWENTY, is strictly an anticounterfeiting move. High quality color photocopiers have made counterfeiting easy and the number of fakes out there has been rising fast. Since it's embedded in the bill, the polyester filament won't be picked up by the copier and the lettering won't be visible when you hold the fake bill up to the light.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Security and Safety