Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Wow, how orginal, a casing question! Need some help with terms and such..
    #4036782 - 04/10/05 12:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"Your casing layer should be a 1/4 of the size of your substrate level. So if your substrate level is lets say 2 inches thick..your casing layer would be a 1/2" thick. If this is right then you should do as normal. It might take a little longer but a lot of substrate usually colonizes quickly depends tho..you'll have some good flushes"

Ok folks, i want you to know, I AM doing my homework and reading the archives and such. My questions on casing is this. What is the difference in a casing layer and a substrate layer. I know one is the mix (50/50) and one is your crumbled cake.

I will break it down for you like this. I will be using 50/50 Coco/Verm. I have two half/pint B+ jars. I will be using the sterilite plastic 6 qt tub. It is 13 inches long 7 inches wide and 5 inches deep.

I know I put a moist layer of verm on the bottom, then my broken up jars then my mix. But how deep should this mix be?

Also, when you microwave sterilize your mix, how long does it normally take for it to cool down?

Thanks.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wow, how orginal, a casing question! Need some help with terms and such.. [Re: Photoguy]
    #4036803 - 04/10/05 12:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I have read that a casing mix, from top to bottom, is not recommended to be more than 4 inches. As far as your question on the sterilization of the 50/50 mix, I used a microwave to sterilize and had to wait for 4 hours for mine to cool down.

I used Rubbermaid plastic-ware to micro my mix and shook it around every hour to allow it to cool faster. Make sure that the containers are slightly tipped to allow air to get all around during the cooling. This will speed up the cooling time. Here is a tip, when you shake the container around, fresh fog from the heat dissipation will show on the lid and/or sides. When the 50/50 mix has reached room temperature the fog will not appear, just condensation from the casing mix.

By the way, 5 inches sounds pretty shallow for mushroom growth unless you plan to uncover and place inside a fruiting chamber.

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Re: Wow, how orginal, a casing question! Need some help with terms and such.. [Re: Wronguy]
    #4036810 - 04/10/05 12:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I thought it would be assumed that I would be putting these in a fruiting chamber!  :shrug:

--------------------

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wow, how orginal, a casing question! Need some help with terms and such.. [Re: Photoguy]
    #4036819 - 04/10/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry, I fruit mine in the same container I case in. I just lower my temps when it's time to fruit and introduce light. My containers are about 12 inches deep though, after I case.

Offlinerocknliam
happy willowdweller
 User Gallery

Re: Wow, how orginal, a casing question! Need some help with terms and such.. [Re: Wronguy]
    #4036829 - 04/10/05 12:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

http://tinypic.com/2nna1l - that should answer questions about differences of layers.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wow, how orginal, a casing question! Need some help with terms and such.. [Re: rocknliam]
    #4036947 - 04/10/05 01:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

50/50 coir/verm sucks badly! If your going to use coir raise your verm ratio up a bit 40/60 or even 30/70. Casings are made up of a substate layer and a casing mix layer some also put a layer of casing mix under the substrate layer for added moisture. 50/50 coir/verm will require alot more attention (moisture) than a 40/60 and will have a much better chance at overlaying. As far as casing thicknesses it's alot of BS the 1/4 substrate depth, thats just good for thinner substrates up to a couple inches maybe 3in. max after that stay with the 1in. casing layer depth or less, maintain your casing layer after harvesting by filling in the divots and you'll be good to go. KISS is the best approach always IMHO. BTW 50/50's are based on peat based casing mixes FYI. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Re: Wow, how orginal, a casing question! Need some help with terms and such.. [Re: hyphae]
    #4037077 - 04/10/05 02:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, i will do the 30/70 probably or something near that! Thanks for the advice got go clean some more.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation