Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefarmer_maggot
I can't get no pinning action
    #403575 - 09/25/01 12:23 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

though i try and i try ...."

My friend says everything seemed to be going so well. The mycelium tore through the coco fiber casing but has just stalled with no pins and now the exposed mycellium seems in danger of drying out. So she is starting to mist. She has been fanning all along. Cased 13 days ago. Left in dark for 5 days. But has been exposed to light for 8 days now and not one bloody pin. Arrggghhhhh.

Is it common to take this long?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: I can't get no pinning action [Re: farmer_maggot]
    #403577 - 09/25/01 12:25 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Did you decrease temperature and raise humidity?

:frown: .. what was i saying..? Time for a cigarette.

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Offlinefarmer_maggot
Re: I can't get no pinning action [Re: CACA]
    #403586 - 09/25/01 12:36 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, they were colonized in quart jars at approx. 80 degrees, and are casing at room temp 68-70 degrees.

Humidity was high in the growth chamber until this weekend when she cracked the lid thinking maybe the humidity was too high. Had been 99% but very little condensation on lid (did not even require wiping lid)

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #403598 - 09/25/01 12:48 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I am not an experienced grower, so I don't know if I can help you here. My casing started pinning in the dark with no humidity. It was just sitting in the Sterlite tub. Temp of mine = maybe close to 80. I have mine in a closet where the AC doesn't flow, so its warm in there. Warm enough for jars to colonize and right temp inside tub for growing, I guess since I have the tub sitting on top of the box with the jars. Only thing I have to worry about now is getting a peice of that hard plastic stuff. Hm.. .. The whole top is white ? I thought you weren't supposed to fan until the pins show. eh.. hmm.. I taped some seran wrap on the sides of the tub to frustrate the air.

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Offlinefarmer_maggot
Re: I can't get no pinning action [Re: CACA]
    #403614 - 09/25/01 01:03 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

well, the whole casing story is full of contradictions. About the only thing most casing teks agree on is keeping the casing in the dark for a few days after the initial case. Thats it. After that you can read anything from mist to don't mist, keep humidity high 90's to keep humidity mid 80's. Cold shock, don;t cold shock. The one, i don't get is how much should the f'n mycellium be allowed to take over the surface, and how are you supposed to stop it? Most say cover the initial mycellium that pokes through with extra casing material. Ok, been three done that. Still the mycelium keeps coming. Its like the blob.

The frustrating thing for a newbie is this lack of consensus. Every expert has their own approach and REASONS for their approach, even when their approach is 180 degrees opposite of the next expert.

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #403623 - 09/25/01 01:10 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

The reason behind the covering the mycelial growth is to get an even pinset. mm you should PM Anno and ask him to help you. He is the knowing much!

--------------------

OfflineMordor
cyborg savage

Loc: North
    #403757 - 09/25/01 03:29 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Coincedence. I cased rye with coco 13 days ago as well. Our growth is at the same phase. I have a B+ and some Eq's. Casing cover came off about a week ago. Coco layer is 80% covered in mycelium. Temp is around 74-78. Humidity in the high 80's - low 90's. Fanning as much as possible. Light for 8 hours a day. Misting coco when it looks like it is drying up a bit (once a day approx.). The B+ started pinning today. In my bit of experience the next 3 days will be mushroom magical. Give them time everything is working out just fine. Once you see pins the whole 1st flush process is practically over a week later and you'll be dying to produce a second flush. You'll be making more jars before you know it. I guess what I am trying to say is "yes" they do sometimes take this long. Be patient and look closer tomorrow for white dots - "hyphal knots" - white dots are your pins and the excitment begins.

It's life. The dark that binds you. - InFlames.

--------------------

OfflineMordor
cyborg savage

Loc: North
    #403766 - 09/25/01 03:35 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

On second reading, your temp is a bit low, bring it up to mid to high 70's. 74-78.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom