Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet
    #4034221 - 04/09/05 12:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

WHAT THE FUCK?!

That's all I can say to the following article:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005161652,00.html

Quote:

TV?S Cookie Monster has been ordered by Sesame Street bosses to quit gorging on biscuits ? because it gives the wrong diet message to kiddies.

New episodes of the children?s show will see him stuffing his face with fresh fruit and veg instead.

The blue furry monster ? famed for his love of chocolate chip treats ? is also having to abandon his celebrated mantra: ?C is for cookie, that?s good enough for me.?

Instead he will croon: ?A cookie is a sometimes food.?

Worried Sesame Street chiefs decided to act after an explosion in obesity among youngsters. Sugar-laden fatty foods such as biscuits are blamed.

The show is to introduce new characters to promote healthy eating ? such as American Fruit Stand.

And celebrity guests including singer Alicia Keys and Hillary Clinton will be seen talking and singing about the benefits of a good diet and keeping fit.

Dr Rosemarie Tuglio, the show?s president of research and education, said: ?Sesame Street is concentrating on the need to teach children about healthy foods and physical activity.

?Each episode will open with a health tip about nutrition, exercise, hygiene and rest.?

But she stressed: ?We are not really putting Cookie Monster on a diet and we would never take the position of no sugar. We?re teaching him moderation.?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShagshow
Sit on It

Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: DNKYD]
    #4034238 - 04/09/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well that just ruins the Dave Chapelle skit on sesame street...damnnn

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4034243 - 04/09/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Jeez, I was reading a new Thomas the Tank Engine book today, and the Fat Controller was gone, replaced by the 'Thin Controller'. How stupid is that?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4034253 - 04/09/05 12:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well, the kids are fat little bastards.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: Phluck]
    #4034255 - 04/09/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

They really are.

It's all for the best.

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4034256 - 04/09/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

But Cookie Monster is just a blue, furry monster. Take it a little further and he's just a pile of blue furry cloth with someone's hand up its ass. So if you go by the logic they are using, that kids will take after Cookie Monster, then kids would be walking around with hands up their asses.

OfflineShagshow
Sit on It

#4034257 - 04/09/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like censorship...not cool

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
    #4034260 - 04/09/05 12:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

once again the parents are laying the responsibility of raising their kids correctly on the media instead of stepping up and doing it themselves

fucking sad

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: Turd]
    #4034275 - 04/09/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Turd said:
once again the parents are laying the responsibility of raising their kids correctly on the media instead of stepping up and doing it themselves

fucking sad

Exactly. If your kid is fat and you and your child aren't happy about it, fucking do something! Don't blame it on the fact that he watches Sesame Street and Cookie Monster eats unhealthy. I don't know who I want to smack more, the fat kids and their parents or the douchebag execs who are in charge of Sesame Street.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4034549 - 04/09/05 02:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This is fucking idiocy gone wild!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #4034581 - 04/09/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i used to IDOLIZE cookie monster (and to a lesser extent, oscar...and his lil wormies). im pretty thin. people need to be responsible for their own actions.

its not his fault, tv brainwashed him. that kid ddnt knwo what he was doing, hes only 6 etc etc. its gooten disgusting in my eyes. do what you do, and stop blaming others.

and parents...be responsible.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4034588 - 04/09/05 02:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

an exerpt from a friends journal to offer an interesting perspective.

-------------------------

So Cookie Monster doesn't eat cookies anymore. Well, he does, but he calls them "sometimes" foods because you should only eat cookies sometimes. There are other foods which are "anytime" foods which you should probably eat all the time. Appearantly all this stems from the recent "outbreak" of child obesity. Do these people think they will REALLY somehow make smarter children who will decide NOT to eat a cookie and opt for a tomato instead? Who would want to raise a souless child like that? I think it's human instinct to enjoy something sweet and no amount of education is gonna teach a 5 year old the consequences to him and his community if he eats too many cookies.

So the state of California says obesity costs them billions a year in medical costs. Fat is the new jew! It's ok to make fun of fat people, and to blame them for their health problems. Somewhere it became ok to ignore the research regarding metabolism and gene structure (not to mention the occasional hormonal problem) and go straight to labelling anyone who is overweight as "lazy." I honestly don't think this has anything to do with helping people live healthier lives. It has to do with the media telling you you're not a complete human being unless you've conformed to their image (and buy the products that help you conform.)

So yea... I guess fat people are lazy, disgusting people wth no self-control, that cost this great country billions of dollars in tax payer money to keep them walking! We should load them all on busses and send them to fat farms! Burn the fatties BURN!

At least... that's what FOX News tells me.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineRetired
Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: kadakuda]
    #4034589 - 04/09/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

parents work full time abandoning there kids and expect tv to raise them...ha what a joke...fuck that shit kids should get off their fat asses and do somthing as well as the parents...people are fatter then ever and it continues to happen and they continue to complain...blaming it on mcdonalds or cookie monster...what ever their lame ass excuse is it is all their fault not societys. so get off your fat ass and live life not eat it

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: Todcasil]
    #4034746 - 04/09/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

So the new excuse is that americans are all developing new fatness genes that we have no control over? For some reason the highly varied racial makeup of the USA has been affected by some mystical genetic virus that is making people fat? And for some reason it's terrified to affect anyone outside our borders? I don't buy it. I admit that some people are genetically obese, but that's always been around.

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
    #4034938 - 04/09/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This message is to all of you.

The reason for the change was "an explosion in obesity among youngsters."

Healthy food makes healthy people.

Sesame street is an educational program.

Don't fear change.

Everyone in here took the deplorably predictable stance of "they think this will solve America's obesity problems?"

NO. There's no one act that will solve everybody's problems. Making an educational show more educational is a step. Every big achievement is made of little steps. Where in the article was the claim that parents should sit their kids in front of the TV and expect them to learn all they need to know? It wasn't there. Quit bitching about every little thing just to be counter-culture.

A cookie is borderline poison to a living human. Sugar, trans fat, and useless white flour are main ingredients.

Vegetables are vital fuel.

--------------------
Namaste

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: RedNucleus]
    #4034948 - 04/09/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

PC America!!! Sieg Heil.

Additionally, fat people will no longer be shown on tv, unless they are shown in a derogatory context. As it promotes acceptability of being fat. Also, TV will as of next week be purely for informative purposes, with no spurious entertainment, as it's sending the wrong message that it's ok to have fun.

:whatever: Parent need to educate their children, the cookie monster, won't be the cookie monster without his fuckin' cookies... I for one am bummed that it has come down to this.

Random violence is also on the news, doesn't mean kids are going to go off and exhibit and follow the same image... Why don't we only report the good stories, and plant flowers, and do community projects on the news as well?

Next thing you know, Bert and Ernie (their homo's don't care what you suggest, not that theirs anything wrong with that) are going to move out of their apartment. Come on!! You all know what he's getting at when he talks about his rubber ducky.

If I ever see a little shit fuckin' kid emulating oscar the grouch as a result of watching Sesame Street... it's time for concern... or for that matter having OCD like the count.

:shrug: I grew up watching Sesame Street if you couldn't tell.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: Todcasil]
    #4034950 - 04/09/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"At least... that's what FOX News tells me."

Those guys would rather just do away with public telvision altogether.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
Re: Cookie Monster ordered to go on diet [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4034963 - 04/09/05 04:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Namaste

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#4034964 - 04/09/05 04:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

if this is true its fucking ludicrous.

how can you blame an entire freakin nation of fat little kids on the cookie monster??

i grew up in the generation of cookie monster eating cookies like he was munchin down tabs of acid. and the majority of my generation arent fat.

fuckin fat little american piggy kids

*ends rant

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4034967 - 04/09/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Blame the parents RedNukleus... last time I checked, TV wasn't made as a teacher for children. (Even if it's used by lazy ass parents as a substitute for their incompetance)

TV doesn't make kids, nor should it give them values... Adults do, and as such it is up to them to do that.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder