Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Simplify your Existence!
    #4034528 - 04/09/05 04:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

We are endlessly seeking gratification for the senses: pleasant things to look at, to listen to, to touch, to taste, to smell. And more: we are spurred on by thoughts or concepts created by our ego-driven minds.These last can be the hardest to satisfy since we cannot just please our senses and be content. Rather, we strive to fulfill fantasies of outdoing our peers, of turning them green with envy by having the Biggest, the Costliest, the Latest, the Shiniest. We are always caught up in competition, in a game of one-up-manship.

It cannot even be said that we are materialistic: We don't know how to be! We don't genuinely enjoy and appreciate the material things we have, much less life itself. We don't even know how to relax. Aggressive competitiveness and acquisition become so obsessive, so compulsive, so ingrained, that everything we do, right down to the simplest recreational activity, is turned into a contest, a race, a struggle to outdo others, ourselves, a clock, or a calendar. Everything becomes a contest for money, trophies, prestige, or some other form of recognition.

The ironic part of all this is that while we are frantically making more money, getting a bigger house, and another pricey car, hoarding more and better playthings, and trying to impress the dickens out of the neighbors, we have less and less time to enjoy the very things we are slaving for. The tragic part is that in the same feverish process of acquisition of material things, we so very often lose our families, our  ealth, our self-respect, and our peace of mind. Rush, rush, rush! Tempers flare,ulcers growl, blood pressure soars. Millions of us die from stress-related illnesses. Millions more try to find relief from their misery in alcohol and drugs. In the end, all we manage to do is to rush into an early grave. Though we may rise to an ever higher and higher "standard of living," at the same time our society is falling apart before our very eyes. The prize is not what we expected, is it?

All this misery in the name of what? $UCCE$$? We do not know how or when to let go, or what to let go of. Craving is a normal, basic part of our conditioned nature. There are certain things that are necessary for our physical survival and mental well-being, and others that are detrimental. The mind of every sentient being discriminates, putting these things into convenient categories, labeling them "good," "bad," and "indifferent" according to how it perceives them. And there are, of course, gradations within those categories.

According to the needs of the living organism, itself an extremely complex psycho-biological process, a complicated psycho-biological sub-process causes a desire to arise in the consciousness, alerting the organism to seek or avoid certain objects or conditions to ensure its proper functioning or survival. So far, so good. This is a necessary strategy evolved to maintain and protect the sentient being, be it man or microbe, as it goes about its business in the conditioned world. When this survival mechanism gets out of hand, and instead of serving, takes over as master, it plunges us into a fog of cravings and longings. This vague, objectless wanting leaves us perpetually dissatisfied and unfulfilled. It leaves us feeling empty, driven to search endlessly and compulsively for an elusive "something" that we hope might quench the craving. But we do not know what we want, or even why we want it. We grasp at all sorts of things -- and ideas -- with essentially the same results. We get trapped, if not in the literal, physical sense, then certainly psychologically, which makes the suffering even more damaging and prolonged. And the emptiness persists.

But there is a solution, and it is rather simple. Simple, now,though not necessarily easy. Rather than give in and blindly obey these impulses to grasp more, to acquire more, to hoard more, we needto confront and analyze them. Where do they arise, and why? The answers may surprise us: Behind this acquisitiveness is the ego-process which necessarily gives rise to insecurity and fear in myriad forms. These in turn cause us, consciously or subconsciously, to seek all sorts of things with which to defend the apparent solidity of the self, to embellish and adorn it, and to build a protective wall around it: power, status, fame, attention, and material possessions. We are even driven to exaggerate the basic requisites of food, clothing, shelter, and medicine to rather outlandish proportions.

To put it simply, due to ignorance of the nature of the ego, we fail to make the distinction between "This is needed" and "I WANT." Through ego-motivated thinking we create a great deal of unnecessary suffering for ourselves, and we sacrifice much, even most of the quality of our lives. The Buddha taught that as conditioned beings living in a conditioned existence (Samsara) we can never be completely free of all sorts of unpleasantness, stress, and suffering. All conditioned phenomena are flawed, and that inevitably gives rise to unsatisfactoriness. This is the First Noble Truth of the Buddha's teaching, and far from being a vague philosophical speculation, it is something that each of us experiences first hand for him-or-herself in daily life. While true and permanent freedom (Nirvana) comes about as a result of the insight gained through Vipassana meditation, we can eliminate a great deal of unnecessary suffering in the meantime by applying the principle of renunciation.   

Unfortunately, the very word "renunciation" has a strange medieval ring to it in this modern, Western-dominated, supposedly hedonistic age. For most, it carries the smell of sack-cloth and ashes, an image of penance, self-denial, self-deprivation, even self-torture. It is thought of as a negative, dejected turning away from the world, a gloomy giving up on life, the last refuge of spurned lovers and aging old maids. It is none of those things. Genuine renunciation, as the Buddha teaches it, is akin to throwing open the windows of the mind to morning sunshine and crisp, cool air. Renunciation is "cleaning house," getting rid of trash and useless clutter, both figurative and literal. It is recognizing that when we become attached to things, we do not own them, instead they own us. It is putting things in proper perspective, simplifying our lives, and being satisfied with "enough."

In short, it is COMMON SENSE.No need to say more.You can figure it all out from here. :wink:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: egghead1]
    #4034567 - 04/09/05 04:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: Good read...

However, read my sig for info pertaining to "common sense"... If it was so common, we needn't discuss it so much.  :grin:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4034584 - 04/09/05 04:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Unfortunalty the processes of ego obscure our basic common sense. It is 'common sense' in that everyone has that intrinsic faculty, but its 'uncommon' in the sense that people rarely recognize and utilize it.  :wink:

Edited by egghead1 (04/09/05 04:31 PM)

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4034608 - 04/09/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Aye!

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Offlinesignoffate
Only Human
Loc: Where is here?
    #4034743 - 04/09/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

By reading your long ass post? hahaha!

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: signoffate]
    #4034936 - 04/09/05 06:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

No, by not making trite little comments and actually reading something of substance.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4035196 - 04/09/05 08:28 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"egoism"
-Unknown :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: Gomp]
    #4035372 - 04/09/05 09:47 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:grin:

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Offlinesignoffate
Only Human
Loc: Where is here?
    #4035942 - 04/10/05 01:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry for my last post there man, it was not very nice.
I did read it now, and I want to thank you for that refreshing lecture. Although it was not a simple read, it does make a point. I gave up on the whole simplification of my life about a year and half ago... I'm still trying to figure out why. Your message makes me want to pickup my old books and give it another try.
peace.

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
    #4036012 - 04/10/05 02:34 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

A lot of words there but many can learn from them, if pondered and actually put into practice....    One thing you will prolly~ never hear a person say after working themselves to death while on their death bed, is, "I wish I would have worked harder and spent more time making more money to buy more "stuff"...."  :wink:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: signoffate]
    #4036027 - 04/10/05 02:44 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Egghead1:
"All this misery in the name of what? $UCCE$$?"
Monetary success always gets a bad rap on this board. This is promoting a huge self limiting myth. Maybe because so few of us have the level of monetary success that we desire? There is nothing wrong with wanting to succeed. In order to advance ourselves as human beings we must meet with a certain level of success. Monetary success is a requirement to be met on the road to true self realization or actualization. How can one be complete by achieving a high level of spiritual understanding alone? That is only a part of the equation. We are physical, mental, and spiritual beings, and we must meet with success on all of these levels to be happy and complete. In a sense, the physical and mental aspects of ourselves also contribute to the whole of our spiritual being, so achieving success in only one of these areas alone leaves us with an incomplete understanding, and only a partially working model of life. The main reason people experience so much stress in the quest of material and psychological success is that they do not have clearly defined goals. Without clearly defined goals you are unable to determine what action you should take. In the absence of action there is only inaction which achieves nothing. With carefully realized goals, suddenly stress becomes the exhilaration of appropriate action, building momentum as as we begin to take more action towards a clear goal. Stress is only how you respond to stimuli. How you respond to any given stimulus is your choice. The world IS as you dream it to be, BUT if you favor nightmares, then look out. Learning to control the goals that we desire, and defining which of those goals take precedence is the key to success on a physical, psychological, and spiritual level.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4036042 - 04/10/05 02:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
There is nothing wrong with wanting to succeed. In order to advance ourselves as human beings we must meet with a certain level of success. Monetary success is a requirement to be met on the road to true self realization or actualization. How can one be complete by achieving a high level of spiritual understanding alone? That is only a part of the equation. We are physical, mental, and spiritual beings, and we must meet with success on all of these levels to be happy and complete.

:nonono: No no no.  The physical, mental, and spiritual are all concepts, and we are not a concept, we just are.  So, if someone says "You are a physical body", they are wrong.  Because a physical body is a philosophical concept, and I am not a concept.  If someone says, "You are a soul-body fusion" I say, no, because a soul body fusion is a concept, and I am not a concept, I just am.  It is wrong to identify oneself with concepts.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

DivineeMotive....

Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: tomk]
    #4036070 - 04/10/05 03:08 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

TomK, Agreed, we "are", and will "be"....  Some try to make concepts real in their reality - but they are only as "solid" as we make them....  But reality shifts, and belief in concepts are ever changing....  As human spirit beings, we may shift our consciousness, concepts, and beliefs, but we will always be the "real" part of the equation....  :heart:

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4036082 - 04/10/05 03:14 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eMotionALLmotion said:
TomK, Agreed, we "are", and will "be"....  Some try to make concepts real in their reality - but they are only as "solid" as we make them....  But reality shifts, and belief in concepts are ever changing....  As human spirit beings, we may shift our consciousness, concepts, and beliefs, but we will always be the "real" part of the equation....  :heart:

:nonono: nonono.  The minute you say "as human spirit beings" you lose it.  "Human spirit beings" are a concept.  We are not concepts.  This means no concept will work.  Not a strict scientific one, not a wishy washy new age one like your 'human spirit beings', not a religious one, not a nihilistic one.  Throw all that shit out.  It's just "we are".  And even that doesn't capture it because it's in a subject-verb form, and that implies a split between the 'we' and the 'are' that contributes another layer of illusion.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

DivineeMotive....

#4036115 - 04/10/05 03:30 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

As beings, we are....(?)  :grin:

I guess if everything is one, ya~ can't even say we are "beings"....  HHhhhmmmmm....    I gotcha~....   
Interesting that we are everything....  Yet, we are nothing....  :nut:  :heart:

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

#4036119 - 04/10/05 03:33 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:whack:

"everything" and "Nothing" are concepts. 

We are not concepts.*

*Were someone to nitpick, they could say "Well, TomK, "not concepts" is a concept, so you can't reply to my supposed mistake that "We are not concepts" because you are wrong about us being "not concepts".  To avoid such a predictable response, I want to be clear that the scope of the 'not' is the entire sentence.  So, in saying "we are not concepts" I'm not saying "We are ~ concepts", but ~"We are concepts."  Uh.  If that makes sense.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

DivineeMotive....

#4036130 - 04/10/05 03:40 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

HHhhmmmm.... But, but but.... HHhhhmmmmmm.... I can't really argue with you, but..... HHhhhmmmmm.....

So, is consciousness and awareness a concept....?

Individual personallities...? Personallity is what defines a person - minus the ego.... (in concept...?) Hhhhhmmmm....

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

#4036143 - 04/10/05 03:49 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:mad:  No.  By thinking about it you are missing the point entirely.  Stop thinking about it.  Listen to the sound around you without trying to attach any labels to any of it and without either thinking about what you are hearing or having any thought in your head to distract you from paying attention to what you hear.  In the time before you think "I was just doing it" you will have done it. 

To the question "is conciousness and awareness a concept?":

Both yes and no.  We have the concepts consciousness and awareness.  But our concepts of consciousness and awareness are not conciousness and awareness.  In the exact same way, our conception of our self (our ego) is just a concept, and is not ourself.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

DivineeMotive....

#4036161 - 04/10/05 04:08 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I thank you, I was trying to understand these new "concepts" of "conceptlessness"....  This seems very new to me now, but I do recall a time when I was like this....  Childhood.... 
Now, I am not thinking here, I am recalling....  I remember being a child and doing something "wrong" in my parent's eyes....  They would always ask, "Why did you do that"....?  And most of the time the response would be, "I don't know"....  This would support what you are saying (in concept)....  Because back then, I wasn't thinking, I was just "doing", and that was all before I was "conditioned" to "think" before I "did"....  I just acted because I had not known what all of the rules (of conditioning) for "right or wrong" were in my parent's eyes yet.... 
Would it be safe to term this egolessness "innocense"....?    OK, I see my mistake in putting a "tag" on it, but words are how we discuss concepts -  for right now....  :heart:

Edit, nevermind emotions, feelings are not something you think about, they just are - if you attach feelings to stuff.... 
Then I must also ask how eMotions fit into this....?  <~~ "removed" question....

--------------------

Edited by eMotionALLmotion (04/10/05 04:43 AM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Simplify your Existence! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4036247 - 04/10/05 05:18 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

This is a big confusion we have isn't it? The difference between what we 'Need' and what we 'Want'. We don't need monetary success at all, that's just our craving speaking. We want this and we want that, like a little child in a toy shop. If you have a family and children, then you need to make enough money to support them obviously, but that's it. You don't need that Mercedes Benz, but in an attempt to satisfy your endlessly, hungry self, you think you 'need' it, in an attempt to confirm ones existence as a 'success' you think you really need it.

Can t you see that you only need enough money to survive. A place of shelter and the funds eat, sleep and shit. That's it. Spiritual advancement is sometimes hindered by accumulating material possessions and attachments or ego driven ideas of achieving success. Its about quietening down our restless minds, and seeing clearly who we are. That's very difficult to do if your always caught up in your consumer driven socially conditioned consciousness, we need to rid ourselves of such craving and ambition. The main reason people are so stressed isn't because they don't have goals, but exactly because they have them. Its so stressful to go searching and striving after something that you think you 'need' to achieve to confirm your existence, this causes much psychological and physical harm to yourself in the process. That's a fact of modern day society. my sister has clearly defined goals, and she is the most stressed out person i think Ive ever met, but she lives for the stress, she feeds off it because she so restlessly driven, i see nothing spiritual about that at all. She is on track for an early grave.

Didn't you ever take note of the saying "money cant buy you happiness", its true it can only buy you further stress and attachment, the more you have the more you worry and are in fear of losing and the more you crave after new desires when you finally reach your clearly defined goals, the more attached and restless you become, it never stops. Its a fact of modern life, look at our present situation, in this country money is the main religion. Do you really think that most people are happy? Success is the illusion created by craving, Their is not real success, The goals are illusions in themselves becuase as soon as we reach them, we create new ones for the future, always looking ahead and never being present, always craving for the next best thing, and never stopping to observe ourselves. Spiritual development happens through disappointment, the more disappointed, the more we get knocked to the ground, the more intimately connected we are with the ground of being. Their is no success, just a gradual unlearning process. Sucess is just an illusion created by ego driven craving.

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Edited by egghead1 (04/10/05 05:51 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology