Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Combating Mosquitoes
    #4034459 - 04/09/05 03:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well, Spring is fully upon the area in which I live. I started soaking the 1st load of shiitake logs for the year this morning. While splishing and splashing around I recalled the alarming degree of mosquito pestilence I was setting myself up for later in the season. As you can see, there's enough water here to gestate what appears to be millions of blood suckers. I have shone a flashlight through the water at night and illuminated thousands of larvae thrashing about!:

I had done some research on mosquito control late last year. There is a whole lot of information available. Today, I decided would do some research on some of the products I can acquire locally. The most important concern, of course, is safety. It must be assumed that anything added to the water will end up, to some degree, in the fruitbodies. The second heaviest concern, from a commercial POV, is price. I have listed below some relevant links to various locally available products.

While this post is primarily for informative purposes I am interested in any input experienced or no. I'm also not 100% certain on the safety of every product tho I believe them all to be safe.

Mosquito Dunks and Bits (long and short term respectively) are a time-release bacteria specifically targeted towards mosqito larvae. They eat it and it kills them.

Agnique MMF is a monomolecular film that basically suffocates the larvae.

Various garlic remedies claim to kill both larvae and adults. I understand that this works best on standing grasses.

Speaking of grasses, I have heard that planted lemongrass is a natural repellant working on the same principle as citronella; dissolving the lining of their airways (i'd imagine this to be very irritative).

Of course, preventative maintenance remains k3y.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: debianlinux]
    #4035151 - 04/09/05 08:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

plant lemon balm heavily around the area, you should be able to get seeds at home
depot or lowes, lemon balm contains citronella and as it's crushed under foot it
releases the scent

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#4035265 - 04/09/05 09:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That and or empty the water every other day, Lemon balm works good, i take a sprig of it and place it over my ear when im out and about.

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4035605 - 04/09/05 11:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SHEIKofSHIITAKE said:
That and or empty the water every other day

that would get prohibitively expensive, wasteful, and be counterproductive as the ground would just become the new breeding ground.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#4037336 - 04/10/05 03:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I would try a metal screan cover to keep the pests out.

--------------------

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Mycelium Jedi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rome, ITALY
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4040149 - 04/11/05 09:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you can boil some water every 3-4 days and add it, hot water should "cook" that worms. After 3-4 days you re-boil some water and add in it. You should use the same water that there's in your container. I've never tryed it..but it should work.

p.s. have several tests because remember: batteria grow well with 38?C and more.

have a nice growth and send pictures :smile:

--------------------

OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
    #4040355 - 04/11/05 11:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Bt, used in organic agriculture, can be used as a safe bio-control of mosquito's. Bt israeliensis is effective against mosquito larvae and black fly larvae.

Check out this site: http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/bti.html

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: FreeSporePrints]
    #4041687 - 04/11/05 05:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

FreeSporePrints said:
you can boil some water every 3-4 days and add it, hot water should "cook" that worms. After 3-4 days you re-boil some water and add in it. You should use the same water that there's in your container. I've never tryed it..but it should work.

p.s. have several tests because remember: batteria grow well with 38?C and more.

have a nice growth and send pictures :smile:

not a bad idea except that i would have to somehow boil something like 40 gallons of water to get the whole tank up to sufficient temps. Every 3-4 days would get expensive in energy consumption. Also, how do I manage to soak logs when I'm getting my tank to scalding temps every 3 days?

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Mycelium Jedi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rome, ITALY
    #4043768 - 04/12/05 02:58 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

try to take away just the amount of water necessary to "cook" your batteria. Or simply soak your logs and during the 3-4 days before the inoculation boil the water to cook you batteria in the water and those into your logs.

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4043897 - 04/12/05 03:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I assume that mosquitos lay eggs in standing water.

Do you think that a bleach dilution would harm the logs too much? I mean, the OMC has proved pretty well that the mycelium of the higher fungi is pretty tough to such a chemical. I have to wonder if a bleach soak would shorten the life through breakdown of the log. But then I'd bet that it wouldn't take very much bleach to turn those baby mosquitos into a batch of backasswards mutants.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4044075 - 04/12/05 04:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

One mechanical option would be to use an inexpensive small water pump. Simply install it in one way or another to the tank. Then run the return through any kind of canister or container filled with any type inexpensive media that would catch the mosquito larvae & exit the water back into the tank.

Another way would be to buy a few dollars worth feeder type gold fish or Gambusia Minnow (Mosquitofish) & place them in the tank. They eat those little wigglers faster than a school room full of 8 year old kids eat free candy.

--------------------

Edited by agar (04/12/05 05:14 AM)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4044743 - 04/12/05 10:13 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
I assume that mosquitos lay eggs in standing water.

you assume 100% correctly. Standing water is the only place mosquitoes lay eggs.

Quote:

Do you think that a bleach dilution would harm the logs too much? I mean, the OMC has proved pretty well that the mycelium of the higher fungi is pretty tough to such a chemical. I have to wonder if a bleach soak would shorten the life through breakdown of the log. But then I'd bet that it wouldn't take very much bleach to turn those baby mosquitos into a batch of backasswards mutants.

that's a thought but we are talking about logs that last for years. I've read, with some skepticism, about the bleach dunk experiments. I, personally, am adverse to the idea but am willing to admit that short one time dunks on the likes of cakes or for pasteurising straw are probably relatively safe. Repeated 24-36hr dunks in bleach water over the course of 4-5 years, OTOH, would have to accumulate dioxin in the log and I would expect the salts would serve to dry the bark out. The bark is difficult to maintain over a few years as it is. I would have to say that repeatedly applying any known dangerous chemical is a patently Bad Idea (tm) concerning gourmet mushrooms.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: agar]
    #4044834 - 04/12/05 10:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
One mechanical option would be to use an inexpensive small water pump. Simply install it in one way or another to the tank. Then run the return through any kind of canister or container filled with any type inexpensive media that would catch the mosquito larvae & exit the water back into the tank.

I've considered using a pump to help empty the tank. It could serve double duty for this purpose. I'm not certain how I could insure that the larvae would "flow" to the intake (when full of logs), tho. Also, the water gets pretty disgusting (likley not as bad with a pump running tho) and cleaning the filters could be a full time job. Something to chew on though.

Quote:

Another way would be to buy a few dollars worth feeder type gold fish or Gambusia Minnow (Mosquitofish) & place them in the tank. They eat those little wigglers faster than a school room full of 8 year old kids eat free candy.

This idea interests me greatly... maybe because I love to keep aquariums. I'm not certain how well they would survive but I'm definitely going to research this idea!

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

#4044847 - 04/12/05 10:56 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

add rubbing alcohol befor you put logs in and add a couple pans of boiling water a day or to later the alcohol will evaperate but not with out killing every thing first

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: THEDANGLER]
    #4045663 - 04/12/05 02:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i think you underestimate just how much water is in this tank. That would be a crapload of isopropyl and a lot of electrical energy wasted just to kill some larvae. not to mention that I can't just stop my production cycle to make time for treating the water. whatever route i go it must coexist with the logs in the water. that's a rule.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4046051 - 04/12/05 03:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Could you put a fish or some tadpoles in there?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4046078 - 04/12/05 03:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Another possibility would be to float some mineral or horticultural oil on the water. It seems that a quart or so would spread out over the entire surface, and this would suffocate the emerging mosquitoes as they try to leave the water.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Combating Mosquitoes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4046283 - 04/12/05 04:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

LoL!

agar already grabbed the fish idea which I am seriously considering. i like fishies. this is more in line with the all natural approach i'm aiming for.

The Agnique product I mentioned in my parent post is an "oil" designed to drop the water surface tension thus drowning adults and larvae. i'm not aware of what "horticultural oil" is.

Roger, I love ya 2 death but you gotta read before you post! :P

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4046563 - 04/12/05 05:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

MOSQUITOFISH LINK < I think these little guys might be your answer.

PUMP & FILTER:

Mosquito larvae in water will GO WITH THE FLOW created by any pumping action with a little volume to it. They don?t have adequate means to go against it. That is why they gestate in still water.

You can jury rig a filtration system to a water pump that doesn?t require constant, laborious or time consuming cleaning. You just have to be a little ingenious.

A simple porous cloth bag type filter will do the trick. So long as it is not so porous as to allow mosquito larvae to pass through it. I would imagine even a nylon stocking type filter would suffice.

With a nylon stocking or cloth bag type filter on the outlet end. You don?t have to clean the filter often. Because as it fills with debris, the debris plugs the end of the bag or stocking. The water level simply rises up the bag, to a level where it can exit through unclogged material.

If you used a short piece of 4 inch PVC pipe with a cloth bag or stocking filter inside it, which was pointed back into your tank, and the mosquito larvae laden water pumped through it. I would wager that would suffice, and only need changed once a week (or thereabouts). Changing a bag filter is not complicated & would only take a few minutes, at best..

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4049374 - 04/13/05 08:54 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Just don't let mosquitoes lay eggs in it.

Is there any reason that you need it to be an open conatiner? If not, just cover it with black plastic. This will keep algae from growing as well.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms