Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Alrighty let me fill you in on a little background info. A few weeks back my friend and I had a batch of PF jars colonizing. In two of them, a small amount of contam showd up near the top. One had a brownish powdery mold while the other had a greenish mold. We operated on them, and removed both of the contams successfully. Mycellium has previously grown over the place where we operated, and the cakes have been fruiting healthily and contam free ever since (Some proof that operating can be successful if done early enough and carefully ;-) ).
My question is: are these mushrooms okay to eat? I would think that if ANY toxins are spread into the mycelium from the contams, that the myc. would have eliminated them by now, and/or the toxins would be diluted so much by all the fruiting so as to not be harmful.
I know people are going to say "Don't eat them, you might die", and that's just fine. What I'm really wanting though is someone who either knows a lot about how toxins are spread through myc., or someone with first hand experience doing what I did.
The exact same thing happened to me except for the fact that i didnt actually catch the contam, but the cake itself must have been contamed once in its life and fought it off.
Before i cased the cake it looked perfectly fine, white on the outside, i didnt break the cake up to check on the inside. it fruited normally, i dried it. When i went to eat it, it had a really salty taste and was unusually nasty tasting. Of course i didnt listen to common sense and in turn ended up with a strong paranoid head high, followed by sharp pains in the bladder area as my body filtered all the mycotoxins out.
So, my advice is grow the mushrooms if the cakes look fine. As soon as they grow, take a bite out of one and roll it around your tounge, dont eat it, and see if it tastes normal. Also, smell em. If everything seems good, then take a small dose intially just to be sure.
Best of luck with not killing yourself.
Re: Mushrooms from a previously contaminated cake [Re: Abermelin] #4034794 - 04/09/05 05:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)
Awesome, thanks for the great info and advice. The mushrooms we've picked from one of the cakes are dried and are smelling kind of funny...not mushroomy. One of us will be tasting some soon to see if they taste salty
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Tmethyl, Pastywhyte 725 topic views. 0 members, 7 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]