Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

Loc: Nevada
Dunking Question...
    #4028473 - 04/07/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm using the dunk and roll tek before birthing my jars. Once a jar is colonized good I just open it up and fill to the brim with h2o2/h2o solution, put the lid back on and pop it in my fridge overnight.

My question is this... I've read all the FAQs and done searched and seen that it's emphasized to make sure the entire cake is submerged. I image the way I'm doing it the top of the cake may still be exposed as it loosens and floats a little. So the question is, WHY submerge completely?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunking Question... [Re: kratomboy]
    #4028485 - 04/07/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

kratomboy said:
WHY submerge completely?

Why not? You want all the absorption of water you can get, don't ya? That's why you want your cake completely submerged.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Dunking Question... [Re: Holydiver]
    #4028511 - 04/07/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Just cap your jars after you fill them with water. I even put a pingpong ball in there to fully sumberge the cake.

The idea is to get all the water into the cake as possible, and if you have a part poking out that won't get as much waster as being submerged.

OfflineIr0NLunG68420
BLaZeDuP
 User Gallery

Loc: Tripville
    #4028512 - 04/07/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You might actually want to check the jar a couple of hours after the dunk, to see if the jars need more water, because they will absorb a lot of water. :thumbup:

--------------------
"I never meant to give you mushrooms girl, I never meant to bring you to my world, but now you're sitting in the corner crying, and now it's MY FAULT, MY FAULT."
-Eminem-
Second grow log GT & B+
First grow log Mexicub & B+

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

Loc: Nevada
    #4028534 - 04/07/05 08:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
Why not? You want all the absorption of water you can get, don't ya? That's why you want your cake completely submerged.

Ok, that's kinda what I thought. I think next time I will dunk my 1/2 pints in 1 pint jars so more water surrounds them. Still not convinced if submerging them completely would make much of a difference though. As long as there's more than enough water I would think they would soak up about the same.

One the other hand, perhaps keeping them pushed down would force more air to rise out of them.

Offlinelakelaxrookie49
Stranger
Re: Dunking Question... [Re: kratomboy]
    #10213132 - 04/22/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I know I'm new and this is my first post, but I've been reading a lot and am waiting on a few of my first jars to colonize now. I've been reading a bit into dunking, rolling, and casing because I don't think I want to jump into bulk substrates on my first run.

This is the first i've heard about just filling the jar up with water, and it makes since that that should get the cake saturated with water enough as long as you check on it every few hours to make sure it hasn't sucked up all you already put in there. But it seems to me that doing it that way, as opposed to just taking it out and submerging them in a water-filled pot, would make it a lot harder to work with.

I mean when you get that full of water, getting it out of the jar seems like you may not be able to handle it as well, keep things as tidy, and easily case with dry verm. That's really the only thing I noticed.

glad to be part of this community now :-)

Offlinedrdee
Strange but not a Stranger

Loc: Midwest USA
Re: Dunking Question... [Re: lakelaxrookie49]
    #10213173 - 04/22/09 11:40 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Howdy folks,
Another opinion from a noob.  Even with a tapered jar, I had a cake get stuck in the jar from swelling from water absorption.  Broke it getting it out.  So I don't dunk in the same jar anymore.  I read somewhere to use a half-gallon jar and three cakes with a riser to hold them down.  My cakes done that way were much heavier then the ones done in the same jar.
Peace,
Dee

--------------------
I am no longer an active shroomery member

Offlineshroomanxiety
Stranger with candy
Male

Re: Dunking Question... [Re: drdee]
    #10213222 - 04/22/09 11:50 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i just toss em in a pot of water and stick a plate on top to keep em down. works fine for me:thumbup:

--------------------
Drunk posting expert! don't try at home! or do, and you can look like an A**hole too.

Offlinepotatonet
Quantum Scientist
I'm a teapot

Loc: Far side of the moon
Re: Dunking Question... [Re: shroomanxiety]
    #10213270 - 04/22/09 12:03 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

yea seriously... wtf are you guys doing?

clean up the cakes (get the dry verm off if using dry verm). then throw them into a large pot of water and put a plate on them to get them down.

this whole h2o2 + water in the jar is ridiculous

--------------------
In the Quechua language of Peru there are over 1000 words for "potato"

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunking Question... [Re: potatonet]
    #10214036 - 04/22/09 02:45 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

this whole h2o2 + water in the jar is ridiculous

I agree!......Who the hell told you to do that?

Use plain tap water or bottled water. You could be killing what you could gain.

Lipa

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate