Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTadpole
Stranger

If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out
    #4027510 - 04/07/05 07:08 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.bswa.org/audio/audio_search_author.php?searchterm=Brahmavamso

It is a buddhist munk talking about spirituality and Buddhism. He is pretty charismatic, very interesting to listen to and very insightful. (notice that there are some talks by other people on the site as well)

Quote:

Ven Ajahn Brahmavamso, Buddhist Fellowship?s Spiritual Patron, is the Abbot of Bodhinyana Monastery. He became a Buddhist while he was a student at Cambridge University where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theoretical Physics.

At the age of 23, he went to Thailand to become a Buddhist monk and became a disciple of the great master, Ajahn Chah He underwent 18 years of meditation training in the forest. He was invited with another monk by the Buddhist Society of Western Australia to set up a monks monastery in Western Australia.

He has since set up a nuns monastery as well, which is now under the leadership of Ven. Ajahn Vayama.

In pursuit of enlightenment, he spent 6 months last year in a secluded meditation retreat where he saw and spoke to no one.

If you find this interesting I think you would also appreciate this interview.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: Tadpole]
    #4027526 - 04/07/05 07:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

thank you so much for the link...

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

OfflineTadpole
Stranger

Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: starptv23]
    #4029671 - 04/08/05 07:28 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

No problem. I just thought this was too good to keep for myself.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: Tadpole]
    #4029685 - 04/08/05 07:34 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I truly love Buddhist philosohpy/psycology. Thanks for the link  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: egghead1]
    #4030241 - 04/08/05 12:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

hey thats some good stuff there, thanks for the hook up.

anybody else know some good buddhist audio lectures and shit?

or any other s&p audio stuff?

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
    #4030285 - 04/08/05 12:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for sharing this.

"Ajahn Brahmavamso: Well there?s two types of freedom. The freedom of desire and the freedom from desire, and most people in the world only know the freedom of desire, the freedom of choice. In Buddhism, especially in meditation, we?re looking at the freedom from choice, the freedom from desire.

So one is so content, so at peace, that desires don?t come up. One is free from the tyranny of these desires always pushing or pulling you, and telling you what to do. And it?s those are the orders which are coming from inside of each one of us, ordering us to be somehow different, ordering the pain to go away, ordering us to achieve some sort of goal, which we don?t really know why we?re reaching for this, but we?re supposed to do it. So these are the orders which in meditation we?re becoming free of."

Namaste :heart:

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4030295 - 04/08/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks,

I'll listen to some later tonite

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4036462 - 04/10/05 08:57 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I have to thank you again, this is some real no-nonsense Buddhsim from the heart. This has to be my favourite kind of teaching, no mystical or philisophical paddings. Just plain and simple teachings. Thank you so much  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

OfflineTadpole
Stranger

Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: egghead1]
    #4040101 - 04/11/05 09:05 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm glad you like it. I had to thank the person who gave me this link twice as well. :grin:

InvisibleThe_Green_Glow
i consume yasoul

#4044215 - 04/12/05 05:19 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Drugs are definitely a desire. Any real buddhist will tell you that you cannot attain enlightenment or grow spiritually if you alter your mind. I know many of you here use psychedelic mushrooms for spiritual growth, but that's just silly. All shrooms do is mess with your ego. The spiritual feel they give you is only your belief/desire of what spirituality actually is. To truly soul search, you need to meditate and keep your mind clear and focused upon loving yourself and others.

Drugs and alcohol arent buddhist style, because buddhists know it's all to throw you off the path to enlightenment. It's only desire to get messed up. If you were truly happy you would not have the desire nor the need to alter your minds. Anyone using drugs is hiding from reality and need to realize that the key to happiness is to look within you(meditation). You should not need any fake feelings to help you feel better about yourself in order to actually take the time to look within for answers or feel you need to be messed up in order to feel like your getting any answers. Just simply meditate with a clear mind, and do not doubt yourself.

just figured I would share that with you all, incase it would ring true with anyone elses heart.

--------------------
"are you goin to hell or heaven? did you walk with the sinners or pray with the reverend? tell the truth i did a little of both, but aint no tellin where im goin til my bodies a ghost." --Twiztid

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: The_Green_Glow]
    #4044357 - 04/12/05 06:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Well no, i wouldn't put it like that at all. Many people came to Buddhism after having spiritual or mystical experiences through there use of such psychedelic substances such as Mushrooms and Peyote. I think these substances can offer a little insight into the working of our minds, especially mushrooms which remove the filters of the ego and all low one to better know and appreciate nature and consciousness as it is. Of course there is risk involved with these substances that i cannot ignore especially with the weak minded or genetically dis-positioned, but never would i rule out the possibility of these substance helping one initially to open up to increasingly more profound states of awareness, but this does rely on ones intention for its use.

Id say that alcohol and cannabis hinder the practice of mediation more than any other substances, in fact Ive had very profound experiences whilst practicing Jhana meditation on magic mushrooms, which my teacher assures me after my description was the experience of the 'spear of infinite consciousness'. Magic mushrooms kicked my but into the meditation room forcing me to look deeper into my consciousness. As such i cannot deny their power to kick ass. :lol:

With mushrooms just like anything else, the outcome is directly related to ones intention. Although any serious Buddhist practitioner shouldn't rely on anything other than their own practice. On that point i agree. A tree Buddhist doesn't need these substances, but the average Joe might find them initially quite useful.

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (04/12/05 06:35 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: The_Green_Glow]
    #4045174 - 04/12/05 12:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The_Green_Glow said:
Drugs are definitely a desire. Any real buddhist will tell you that you cannot attain enlightenment or grow spiritually if you alter your mind.  I know many of you here use psychedelic mushrooms for spiritual growth, but that's just silly.  All shrooms do is mess with your ego.  The spiritual feel they give you is only your belief/desire of what spirituality actually is.  To truly soul search, you need to meditate and keep your mind clear and focused upon loving yourself and others.

Drugs and alcohol arent buddhist style, because buddhists know it's all to throw you off the path to enlightenment.  It's only desire to get messed up.  If you were truly happy you would not have the desire nor the need to alter your minds. Anyone using drugs is hiding from reality and need to realize that the key to happiness is to look within you(meditation). You should not need any fake feelings to help you feel better about yourself in order to actually take the time to look within for answers or feel you need to be messed up in order to feel like your getting any answers. Just simply meditate with a clear mind, and do not doubt yourself.

just figured I would share that with you all, incase it would ring true with anyone elses heart.

The testament of someone who seems to have very little understanding of the nature of a mushroom trip, if not a total lack of the experience at all. :thumbup:

Perhaps you should study further into what desire actually is. Perhaps you should study further into what psyhadelics are and the effects that they provide. Maybe one should truly build an understanding of Buddhism itself. :wink: You profess glaring misconceptions of all three.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4045232 - 04/12/05 12:57 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yes i agree fireworks. He obviously has very little understanding. Especially as he says in meditation not to doubt oneself, when thats exactly what happens when you begin to meditate, naturally you begin to doubt the solidity and reality of the 'self'. He also obviously also does'nt understand that mushrooms can be used as a tool for inner reflection.

Peace  :sun:

--------------------

OfflineTadpole
Stranger

#4045854 - 04/12/05 02:53 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

^^^I agree about the alcohol and cannabis. Except from that I'm not sure what I think about this really, and would very much like to see more opinions on this. Here are basically my thoughts at the moment:

Does psychedelics give you spiritual experiences? Yes. Is there a lot to learn from psychedelics? Yes. Do they go hand in hand with Buddhism? I guess not. Are they a good tool for enlightment? I don't know, but I think Buddhism probably has the best recipe for enlightment if that is really your goal.

Buddhists, most of them not knowledgable about psychedelic drugs though, talk about this in  this thread. I thought it was an interesting though kinda depressing read. The way I see it, Buddhism isn't that black and white. Even though the Fifth Precept is to abstain from using intoxicants it doesn't mean you're not a buddhist if you have a few beers now and then.

I recently read the Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac (which is a great book btw!), and the main character, Ray Smith, drank a lot of wine, yet he was enlightened and experienced the truly deep states of meditation, Nirvana. From what I've read this book is based on Kerouac's life. I think Kerouac was offered LSD by Timothy Leary a few years later though and would not touch it. :shrug:

If anything this just tells me that even the enlightened does not know everything, there are many ways to enlightment, and you should not be too quick to judge one way or the other.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4045926 - 04/12/05 03:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

For me the effects of both cannabis and alcohol semi-mimicked the spaciousness of meditation. This is in my eye's a subtle form of self-deception. It may seem to make meditation easier, but in effect it takes away the very essence of what you are doing by mimicking meditative contemplation. In short you think you are making progress when really you are deceiving yourself and putting your mind with all of its problems into a comfortable place where it cannot be observed with any degree of clarity.

Now with psychedelics its the exact opposite, they remove the filters of your conscious mind to reveal what is behind the curtain. This is where most of the fear and anxiety associated with psychedelics are brought about due to the uncovering and surfacing of latent psychic material that has been suppressed or ignored in one way or another. Psychedelic substance "can" open you up if you let them and serve as tools for inner exploration and realization. But although they can temporarily open the door, you are the one who has to walk through it and gain insight which later on can be practiced and integrated in your sober condition.

In Tantric Buddhism it is assumed that you already have the skill in meditation to cut through the self-deception of alcohol in particular, and that is generally why it is seen as 'OK' to have a few beers every now and again without getting drunk and losing your awareness.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4045943 - 04/12/05 03:09 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I was gonna read it, but the title of your thread is too manipulative. I will have to try that technique in a future topic heading.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: Swami]
    #4045953 - 04/12/05 03:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thats the Fear Syndrome Swami, do'nt give into it, feel the fear and do it anyway man, you'l feel better for it.  :grin: :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4045976 - 04/12/05 03:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

*trembling uncontrollably* CAN'T--- DO---IT! *sobbing*

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: If you're interested in Buddhism (or at all in spirituality) you need to check this out [Re: Swami]
    #4045987 - 04/12/05 03:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Vallium works well in infrequent doses :lol:

But seriously man go check out the site, its quite interesting. :wink:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (04/12/05 03:21 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4046006 - 04/12/05 03:20 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That's one BIG valium you (VP) are holding in your avatar.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology