Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
PSP Hacked
    #4021239 - 04/06/05 10:58 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Can the Nintendo DS be hacked also?, has it been already.
PSP seem quite a powerful little system.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Re: PSP Hacked [Re: California]
    #4021481 - 04/06/05 12:00 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

What do you mean when you say the PSP was "hacked"?

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: PSP Hacked [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #4021553 - 04/06/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

A programmer designed/installed aftermarket progs for the PSP.
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Sony Corp.'s new PlayStation Portable is turning into a great tool for Web browsing, comics reading and online chat -- and it also happens to play video games, movies and music, if you prefer that sort of thing.

The $249 PSP handheld video game player went on sale in the United States on March 24, and it took very little time before techies added the kinds of functions to the PSP that Sony did not include -- and may never have intended. One man needed only 24 hours to get a working client for Internet Relay Chat, or IRC, an older messaging platform.

"I was on IRC, and someone mentioned how cool it would be to use their PSP on Wi-Fi at Starbucks to talk to people over IRC. I said, 'I can do that', so I began working on it immediately," said Robert Balousek, creator of PSPIRC (http://www.pspirc.com), in an email interview.

Balousek said as many as 100,000 people may have visited the IRC client, and he is starting work on a new project that would let PSP users chat on the AOL Instant Messenger network.

Hacking new video game hardware is old hat -- rare is the console that does not get its own version of the Linux operating system from enterprising developers. But the gaming and hacking communities embraced the PSP with speed rarely seen in the console world -- a nod, perhaps, to its portability.

Other "hacks" include a way to transfer TV shows recorded by the TiVo digital video recorder to the PSP, a program for reading ebooks and a viewer for comics downloaded from the Internet.

Much of the new PSP functionality comes from using the Web browser built into the racing game "Wipeout Pure," which was meant to go to a Sony site. By changing some of the PSP's network settings, the browser can be pointed to an Internet portal.

A number of people have already set up such portals, formatted to fit in the PSP's screen and offering links and a place to enter Web addresses. The technology blog Engadget has rounded up a number of those links.

Sony Computer Entertainment of America, the Japanese conglomerate's U.S. gaming unit, did not respond to requests for comment.

But the tinkerers suggest Sony probably did not have their work in mind when they released the PSP. Balousek said the company had only left small loopholes for outsiders to use.

The development community wishes that would change, as evidenced by an open plea to Sony posted April 5 on the Web site PS2dev.org (http://www.ps2dev.org), which is dedicated to the development of open-source software projects for the PS2.

"I suggest to Sony that they should work with us to develop a method to allow home-brew software" using technology to protect Sony copyrights," the site's editor "Oobles" wrote.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: PSP Hacked [Re: California]
    #4023439 - 04/06/05 08:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The PSP probably does kick a lot of ass and I can see it having a TON of homebrew potential, but the friggen price tag just isn't worth it. And the propriety sony memory sticks blow an even bigger hole in your wallet!!

If and when full speed snes emulation becomes feasable, that's when I'll consider saving my pennies for this gadget. Granted I want one super badly, buying a super over priced handheld is something I can't constitute. I used to be a huge gameboy whore back in the day, writing my own demos and flashing them to eeprom carts. Those days were golden.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: PSP Hacked [Re: browndustin]
    #4024285 - 04/06/05 11:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

it definitly worth 250$ i got mine and love it

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: PSP Hacked [Re: AhronZombi]
    #4024648 - 04/07/05 01:27 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I live in Canada though so when it comes to video games and stuff yeah right. My ipod mini cost almost $500 when I got the 1-year in store warrantee. Bleh. I really want a PSP.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: PSP Hacked [Re: browndustin]
    #4024852 - 04/07/05 02:37 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

never get in store warantys i was in electronic retail its a real rip off

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: PSP Hacked [Re: AhronZombi]
    #4025119 - 04/07/05 06:51 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

AhronZombi said:
never get in store warantys i was in electronic retail its a real rip off

+1

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: PSP Hacked [Re: blink]
    #4025907 - 04/07/05 11:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

ive never had anything break that ive had a warranty on, yet when I dont get one it breaks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale