Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
why do bad things happen to good people?
    #4022475 - 04/06/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

any takers?

:popcorn:

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: JCoke]
    #4022494 - 04/06/05 05:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

(cross post by me)
"Things" happen to everyone - "good or bad" people(which is perception).... It is the perspective of one's perception that make it "good or bad".... It's all a choice....  :wink:  :heart:

:sun:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4022500 - 04/06/05 05:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I replyed to this in the other thread.

Any way bad is a judgement call. Many seemingly bad events in retrospect turn out to be for the best.

And life being a polarity of light and dark, you would get some of both.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #4022501 - 04/06/05 05:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"bad thing" and "good person" are relative terms.

--------------------

InvisibleDragonaut

Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4022511 - 04/06/05 05:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think it's because there are more bad people out there in the world doing bad things to other people then there are good people doing good things for others.

--------------------
:dragon:

DivineeMotive....

Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Dragonaut]
    #4022520 - 04/06/05 05:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Only one way to change that....  "Be the change you want to see..."  (I don't know who said this....)

--------------------

Offlinescribble
Stranger
    #4022550 - 04/06/05 05:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If no bad things happened there would be no need to be good you would not fear the consequences of being bad. Also to help others is good if nothing bad happened there would be no one to help.
Good cannot exist w/o bad they are 2 sides to the same coin.

--------------------
Mahayana Buddhist tradition tells how Buddha lived on one hemp seed a day.
This was enough to sustain him during the six steps of asceticism leading to his Enlightenment.
In recent centuries, higher doses have been favoured.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: scribble]
    #4022628 - 04/06/05 05:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It has nothing to deal with good or bad. It has nothing to do with saving and serving a powerful entity that is suggested exists.

It has to do with reality.

Why does a species of carnivores slowly lose its population when a better species of carnivores takes over the hunting grounds and prey? Is it a work of God? Is it because the former less adapted species was "bad"? Is the species that ousted the former species going to hell, and the species that last the resource war going to heaven for being meek? (how far are we to apply heaven and hell... are animals, and for that matter plants to engage in heaven as well?)

**It's better at killing then the former species prey, and perhaps the other species. Is it better, is it justified to the extent that just because it is better at eliminating the competition that it is "good"? :shrug:

It's a consequence of limitations of resources. It's a consequence of the uncertainty of our lives, we look to god/s to sustain ourselves that indeed, it'll get better over time. We suggest that it is a test of sorts, a machination of evil in one form or another fucking up our lives. We do this to assert what little control we indeed really have in respects to the extent and quality of our lives, such that some choose to use an outside source to provide stability... really it's just natural progression of events caused by external influences and strain on an environment.

Now the fact that we are human, and propose ourselves to be rational should stop this problem, as we are higher then animals. Or so we suggest.

My $0.02.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4022629 - 04/06/05 05:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Because good and bad are completely subjective.

And there's no referee keeping track of Universal events.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4022680 - 04/06/05 05:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

JCoke said:
any takers?

:popcorn:

they don't.. :P

:heart:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: moog]
    #4022766 - 04/06/05 06:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

God don't know the difference between good and evil...

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

DivineeMotive....

Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: scribble]
    #4022951 - 04/06/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

scribble said:
If no bad things happened there would be no need to be good you would not fear the consequences of being bad. Also to help others is good if nothing bad happened there would be no one to help.
Good cannot exist w/o bad they are 2 sides to the same coin.

If everyone was "good", there would be no fear, thus no "bad"....  So here, we could turn "good" into "humilitous", and then there is no "good or bad"....  :shrug:
You can say that an accident is "bad", or you can say it is "severe"....  Either way, it is still an accident....  :wink:    :heart:
Perspective/Perception....  Perhaps the good and bad both are part of personal "judgement" - and is really neither.... 

--------------------

OfflineBlueFrost
I eat fungus.

Loc: Ohio
    #4023465 - 04/06/05 08:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Believe me, bad things happen to bad people, too. In my opinion, bad people are just more inclined to take a bad route to success. Think of it this way. I think being a bad person is worse than being a good person and having small bad things happen to you. It is much more desirable to be a good person who experiences minor setbacks than it is to be a bad person who gets fucked in the end.

--------------------
As I stand here in the shower
Singing opera and such
Pondering the possibility that I
Pull the pud too much
There's a scent that fills the air...
Is it flatus? Just a touch...
And it makes me think of you

-Primus - Grandad's Little Ditty

Edited by BlueFrost (04/06/05 08:39 PM)

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4023484 - 04/06/05 08:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Because there's no difference between good or bad besides the judgement you place on other people. Good things, bad things, one could be regarded as the other by different egos, just as good people and bad people can be regarded as different by varying egos.

Those who consider themselves purely good are delusional, and those who consider themselves bad are flattering themselves. Neither exists except in the presumptions we give to the terms.

This universe has variation and chaos, and nothing in it is black and white. Nothing in it is even grey unless we regard it as such.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4023497 - 04/06/05 08:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

God don't know the difference between good and evil...

God is morally retarded?  :confused:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

DivineeMotive....

Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Ravus]
    #4023519 - 04/06/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Those who consider themselves purely good are delusional

Interesting that you put a "blanket" judgement on everyone's intentions before "knowing" everyone.... 

It is ok friend, I forgive you....  :wink:  :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4023833 - 04/06/05 10:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Using perceptual logic, it is impossible to fit those criteria, so it wouldn't be so much a blanket judgement as a logical conclusion. I wouldn't say that no particle can exceed the speed of light is a blanket judgement of particles, simply what we've perceived and logically concluded in this cosmos.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

DivineeMotive....

#4023910 - 04/06/05 10:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

To reach the speed of light, a particle(which just may very well be slowed down energy) reaches the speed of light perhaps by becoming light energy itself....  That may be a theory already(?), but I just wrote it off the top of my head....  E=MC?...=...M=E?C?....?  :sun:

--------------------

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
    #4024174 - 04/06/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"bad things"
This could be interpreted many ways.

My personal take is bad things happen but they are not really bad. Ok, so it sucks having 3 grandparents die of cancer, breaking an arm, getting a hook through your finger, becoming a vegetable from a horrible accident. But all these things touch on a different subject.

I would like to break 'bad' into 3 categories, physical, mental, and spiritual.

So why do bad physical things happen? Why do people get struck by lightening, and get hit by busses, and get shot up at the supermarket brutally? because it is the way of the world. Evil exists, and so it will happen. It is random, or maybe you even got yourself into a situation that caused it. All self blame aside, 'random bad things' happen because that is World and human nature. Shit happens!

Why do 'bad' mental things happen? Why do people go brain dead and why is the psychology and medical department growing vastly in its diagnosis and treatment of 'mental' disorders? Well, my take on this is somewhat the same as physical. Part of it could be random chance, the chaos of Nature. But your mind is your sanctum, YOU control and influence the vast majority of thoughts and feelings. my take is bad mental things happen because a person let them happen. All genetic arguments aside for disorders like Add and autism, I think that this is an area we have great control over to stop bad things from happening.

Why do bad 'spiritual' things happen? Why do peoples souls go cold, forsaking any faith and falling to sole ego theory? I would say this is an area each person has control of. In the face of ultimate physical and mental loss, you are left with your spirit. If you have the will to endure- so you shall.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Invisiblefearfect
    #4024197 - 04/06/05 11:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

because there is no magical divine force governing things.

also, this just in. santa claus isn't real!

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: fearfect]
    #4024338 - 04/07/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Karma, cause and effect. Karma is a special instance of cause and effect whereby our actions are the cause and our experiences are the effect.

Think of the mind as a rubber band. When we engage in actions of body, speech, and mind, it is as though we are creating potential energy within our mental continuum, just as if we were to create potential energy in a rubber band by stretching it. If our actions are positive, the potentials we create within our mind are positive. If our actions are negative, the potentials we create within our mind are negative.

When we stop storing energy in a rubber band, we release it, and that potential energy becomes manifest energy. In the same way, when we stop creating potentialities within our own mind, we create the conditions necessary for that potential to become actualized as experience. So, the moment we begin behaving positively on a consistent basis, we stop contributing to the negative potentials of our mind and therefore allow them to begin manifesting as experence. Bad things happen to good people.

The key is to consider this mechanism over a wider scope of time. Normally, we consider things within the context of this single human life which we are now fortunate enough to possess. However, if we accept the idea of past and future lives, and if we have a thorough understanding of karma, we understand that if our behaviour is virtuous in this life, we are likely to experience the adversity created by the negative actions of our past lives. If we are able to keep our patience and avoid engaging ourself in that karma, we will purify that karma so that we shall not have to experience it again.

By the same token, if we are behaving without virtue in this life, we will create the necessary space for the positive actions of our past lives to manifest as experiences. We shall find it easy to encounter wealth, luxury, whatever we might desire. However, if we attach ourselves to this karma, it will quickly run out and we shall have to experience common sufferings all over again.

This is what samsara is. Our ignorance binds us to our karma. It is because of our ignorance that we create the causes for future suffering when we are experiencing happiness, and the causes for future happiness when we are experiencing suffering. So long as we are ignorant we will continue to travel the blissful highs and tormenting lows of this turning wheel of life.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Ped]
    #4024473 - 04/07/05 12:38 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup: Well said man.. that says a lot in the area of question I have been pondering recently. your point of view on this subject is valuable to me.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#4024519 - 04/07/05 12:50 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Because there's no difference between good or bad besides the judgement you place on other people. Good things, bad things, one could be regarded as the other by different egos, just as good people and bad people can be regarded as different by varying egos.

Those who consider themselves purely good are delusional, and those who consider themselves bad are flattering themselves. Neither exists except in the presumptions we give to the terms.

This universe has variation and chaos, and nothing in it is black and white. Nothing in it is even grey unless we regard it as such.

:mushroom2:

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #4024981 - 04/07/05 04:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

why shouldn't bad things happen to good people?
and why shouldn't good things happen to bad people?

is there supposed to a natural order to these things?

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

#4025475 - 04/07/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The Jehova's Witnesses have a pamphlet out about this, but I lost mine when it slipped out of my hand. As fate would have it, it landed in a garbage can and some men in orange suits came and took it away to an unknown location. Anyone else smell a conspiracy?

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
    #4025802 - 04/07/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Simply to make them stronger.

--------------------
Live free or die.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4025840 - 04/07/05 11:15 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Because bad things happen to people, and statistically, they're going to happen to good people as well as the bad.

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4026370 - 04/07/05 01:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

so that good things can happen to bad people......

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4026468 - 04/07/05 01:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Smallworlds said:
The Jehova's Witnesses have a pamphlet out about this, but I lost mine when it slipped out of my hand. As fate would have it, it landed in a garbage can and some men in orange suits came and took it away to an unknown location. Anyone else smell a conspiracy?

:grin:

Ped, why is it that we look to mystic constants to deal with our lives? Karma is but another reassurance and a control mechanism to do what is "good" as defined by those issuing morality.

Ghandi was great... don't get me wrong, he lived a wonderful life, helping others... yet if you read about all the shit that happened to him... it was undeserved in terms of his actions...

Do we choose to assert the blame on his prior actions of his past life? The thing is that I'm getting at is that it's unfounded, and attempts to explain the happenings of the world and the reasoning solely tied onto an individual's merit, whether in this life, or a previous issuance of one.

Why are we to be held accountable by a system that imposes and fucks us over by way of our prior actions, that we don't even know that we commited?

You might as well believe "god's mysterious ways" in respect that everything happens to us is deserved... I don't choose to believe that we all deserve what happens to us... Kharma IMO attempts to assert, and establish that the individual should just blindly allow fate to beat the living shit out of them, without acting in a "negative" manner, and is open to abuse... as sooner or later, as is suggested by the principles they'll get theirs, so just ride out all the bullshit... It doesn't work out that way all the time in this life.

As for the next life, perhaps it does, but nobody has given me any reassurance beyond my taking your/their word for it, that indeed retribution is to be found one way or the other through some mystical cosmic order of justice. It's a great belief... but I can't stand, nor would I hope that anyone would stand as an idle spectator while all this injustice is occuring to them in hopes that their faith is correct. It's but another control factor to allow the permissability of actions by way of guranteed retribution in one form or another, with little substantiation beyond coincidence. 

Good things happen to good people, as well as bad people, and vice versa for bad things. Unless you wish to attribute Karma as to my earlier example that is, that the weaker species deserved to be killed off by way of their struggle... but it's ok, they'll be higher animals afterwards, and ultimately those at the top of the pecking order will get theirs and be transmuted into a lesser species as a result of their struggle to survive.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Offlinehobgoblin
Stranger
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4026746 - 04/07/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

Why are we to be held accountable by a system that imposes and fucks us over by way of our prior actions, that we don't even know that we commited?

This is in so many words the crux of the buscuit. It's like that everything from nothing in an instant thingie... you have to believe.

Bad things happen to good people for the same reason that bad things happen to bad people. It's because when you are alive, bad things happen to you. Good things happen too. And the strong man (or woman) will forget those things that drag him or her down, to paraphrase a Madman. :wink:

--------------------
Seek not to rationalize hobgoblins. ~ Yeats

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: hobgoblin]
    #4026762 - 04/07/05 02:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:tongue: I'm more then aware of that, thank you for your insight.

I brought up that notion to suggest that Karma isn't a good tool to utilize to justify what befalls us.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: barfightlard]
    #4027007 - 04/07/05 03:36 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bellylard said:
so that good things can happen to bad people......

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

--------------------

Trip Report

Offlinetrunksan
PsyChicken
Male

Loc: UK, Hellas
    #4027319 - 04/07/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Ancient Greek saying: Ouden Kakon Amiges Kalou - Free translation: There is no evil that's not good.

What is good for you is bad for some1 else and vice versa:

You lose your job, someone else gets it.
Someone dies, all the animals get food to eat.
Its all subjective!

As a matter of statistics:
Bad things happen to both good and bad people. No1's immune from "bad" things.

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: trunksan]
    #4027345 - 04/07/05 04:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Then "good" and "bad" are really just illusions. Shit just happens.

--------------------

Trip Report

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4027367 - 04/07/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Icelander]
    #4028371 - 04/07/05 08:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

>> Ped, why is it that we look to mystic constants to deal with our lives? Karma is but another reassurance and a control mechanism to do what is "good" as defined by those issuing morality.

I'm sorry it appears that way to you. Not everybody looks to mystic constants to cope with the fact that they are alive. Some look to mystic constants so that they might enrich their lives by developing an understanding of how things actually are. Only those seeking security through reassurance or through control over others would conceive of karma as a mechanism for imposing morality upon others.

Karma is a doctrine that arose upon the discovery of three incontrovertible facets of existence: that all phenomena depend upon past causes, that all phenomena serve as the sustaining causes for future phenomena, and that the mind and the reality perceived by mind exist without plurality as part of a single continuum. It's from these three basic understandings that we can extrapolate a doctrine which serves an entirely subjective purpose.

That purpose is the fulfillment of the most fundamental wish of any living being: to be happy and to be free from suffering. We have this wish because our essential nature is happiness. The only reason we experience suffering is that we are not living in accordance with our own essential nature. Therefore, if we engage in actions that create genuine, lasting happiness, we are living more in accordance with our essential nature, and if we engage in actions that do not create genuine, lasting happiness, and instead create the causes for future suffering, we are living in discordance with our essential nature.

It's within this framework that it's decided which actions are "positive", and which are "negative". It's only those actions which serve as the cause for future happiness that are considered positive, and it's only those actions which create the cause for future suffering that are considered negative. So you can see how karma is a wholly subjective doctrine, unique to each individual.

How can a doctrine which is personal by it's very nature be adopted to impose morality upon others? Only by ignoring the three essential truths which gave rise to the doctrine of karma in the first place. It's only by supposing that there is some external force operating to ensure that karma is properly legislated over living beings that we can imply an objectivity to the morality that arises from karmic law. Since authentic interpretations of karmic law are void of this notion, it was not originally intended as a mechanism either for control or for reassurance, and it is only conceived as such by beings so inclined.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Ped]
    #4029273 - 04/08/05 12:17 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Same with most religions... the point of the matter isn't the intent, it's how it's applied.

Some may fully believe in it, some may not. It's really a great philosophy to live by, but I fail to see it's realistic application. Karma at work beyond coincidence... I suppose that's too much to ask for though, as most things of a grand nature that seem to good to be true.... are :shrug:.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4029338 - 04/08/05 12:51 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Because life sux....then you die.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4030021 - 04/08/05 08:28 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

>> It's really a great philosophy to live by, but I fail to see it's realistic application.

Suppose that your mind and the reality you are perceiving with that mind are involved in a relationship, and that they have been since beginningless time. Do not confuse coarse conceptual minds as being of the same nature of your mind. The mind I am referring to is formless and it is of the nature of clarity, and it is the sustaining factor of your most fundamental awareness. If your mind and the reality perceived by your mind are involved in an inextricable relationship, then it follows that the actions carried out in reponse to your experiences leave impressions on your mind as much as they do on reality. Just as the actions carried out in response to experiences have practical effects in the material world later on, so too would these actions have effects in the experiential world later on. This is the essence of karma.

Too often, karma is misunderstood. Most people suppose that it is a doctrine only relevant to significant events like stealing, giving, killing, or saving a life. There is also the assumption that the effect is always identical to the cause. If you steal, you will be stolen from. If you give, you will be given to. If you kill, you will be killed. If you save a life, you will be saved when your own is in jeopardy. But karmic law is not so rudamentary. It applies to every single action we engage in, and every single experience we encounter. According to karmic law, every single facet of our experience occurs as a result of our past actions, and every single action we engage in now serves as the basis for experiences in the future. It is far more profound than what's understood of karma at first glance.

For those that accept the notion that the mind is dependent-related like all other phenomenon, the doctrine of karma has a very realistic application. Whether or not you accept that notion is up to you and your own investigation.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck