Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMonkeyPod
Mr
Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension
    #4005838 - 04/02/05 05:35 PM (19 years, 1 minute ago)

I remember a post here not too long ago about suspending mycelium for an extended period of time using a sterile test tube. I was able to procure some unused and "sterile CORVAC integrated serum seperator tubes" from a freecycle offer (100ct/10ML). Will these work for this procedure? They have some kind of milky looking medium in the bottom, it looks like silicone. I think it is silicone. The vacu-tops are mottled grey and red (HRI 8881-302015).

Descr:
Product Name : CORVAC INTEGRATED SERUM SEPARATOR TUBES WITH STERILE INTERIOR RED STOPPER ? TUBE SILICONE COATED
Manufacturer : Sherwood/Davis & Geck
Description : Laboratory procedures requiring serum with a positive gel barrier between blood cells and serum ? General Chemistry, Serology and Toxicology procedures.
501-5550
HRI Reorder No 8881- 302015, Style - 10mL, Approximate Draw - 8.5 mL, Tube Size (mm) - 16 x 100

Also, can anyone point me to this thread that I speak of?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineI_have_no_ego
Stranger
Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: MonkeyPod]
    #4006248 - 04/02/05 07:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Very interesting. I always assumed the stuff in the bottom of those test tubes was some sort of anti coagulant.

Ego

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: I_have_no_ego]
    #4006673 - 04/02/05 09:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The stuff at the bottom is a gel separator. After you fill the tube with blood, you spin it in a centrifuge. The gel is heavier than plasma, so it ends up under the plasma. It's not as heavy as blood cells, though, so it ends up above that. In this way, you can draw off the plasma without worrying about cell material interfering. The plasma can then be tested for various plasma solubles like hormones, minerals, vitamins, sugars, etc.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4007044 - 04/02/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Mycelium covered spawn/grain can be stored in distilled water for many years. Thats very interesting Blue sounds like you talking shop :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4007133 - 04/02/05 11:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Red top vacutainers are the ones you want. Ones you have will not work, with that gel in them. Open, wash/boil it out, PC clean septa & tube in an autoclave bag. Reseal in glovebox or in flow/hood. Will work - then.

--------------------

OfflineMonkeyPod
Mr
Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: agar]
    #4008169 - 04/03/05 10:26 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks Agar. That silicone shit is hard to get out!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4009231 - 04/03/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Heres something similar to what I use:
Vials
My favorite These do work great and are the best IMHO. And E-Bay has killer deals if ya look into it. GL guys

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
    #4020886 - 04/06/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The silicone shit doesn't come out with water. Does anyone have any suggestions. Would any particular solvents work? Acetone maybe?

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4021331 - 04/06/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mobius_Strip said:
The silicone shit doesn't come out with water. Does anyone have any suggestions. Would any particular solvents work? Acetone maybe?

Did you try using really hot water or just putting water in and then bringing it to a boil? If it's any sort of agar based gel it will melt at those temperatures. I doubt it's silicone, but if it is then the acetone may work

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #4021415 - 04/06/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I tried pouring boiling water in there and it didn't even budge. When I try to wipe it out it sticks to the inside of the tube. It feels like silicone gel. I can't imagine what it could be withstanding boiling water and all. I think a solvent may be my only and last resort. Otherwise, maybe I'll try one leaving it in there and see how it does. I can't imagine how this shit could be nutritive in the least.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4022526 - 04/06/05 05:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Next time checkout the vials I suggested, they are truely sweet!!! If silicon they will withstand boiling as well as solvents. You also have the option of just simply leaving it in there, covered with agar it shouldn't hurt anything at all :wink: Just a suggestion :wink: :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: hyphae]
    #4024069 - 04/06/05 10:56 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Luckily I didn't buy the ones I have. I got them for free so I thought I'd try them out. Like I said, I can't imagine silicone being nutritive in any way so I'll give it a try. Worst case is it doesn't work and I lose a few free vials so I buy the good ones you suggested. Thanks!

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: hyphae]
    #4025705 - 04/07/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

for removing silicone
http://www.dynamold.com/ds104.htm

it's cheaper to replace those

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4026306 - 04/07/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, it looks like this shit would be a complete nightmare to remove. I tried to wipe some out and it just smeared all over the place. It seems next to impossible without the help of some expensive, and probably cancerous, solvent; what a bummer. Thanks for the link.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4026357 - 04/07/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

MEK is not expensive but is rather carcinogenic. MEK may not work as well as Dynamold or what have you but it will work on silicone. It can't hurt to buy some as it is a great cleaner for particularly tough jobs. It has saved my ass more than a few times on construction sites. If you don't want to buy some see if you have some "Goo Gone" or, preferably "Goof Off". That would be worth a try if you already have some.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: debianlinux]
    #4026397 - 04/07/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

What's MEK?

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4026462 - 04/07/05 01:36 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Methyl Ethyl Ketone. You can get it at a hardware store. Just ask for "Emm Ee Kay".

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

#4026520 - 04/07/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i have a bunch of vacutaines, were can i get distiled water....

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium in test tube/long term suspension [Re: THEDANGLER]
    #4029226 - 04/07/05 11:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

debianlinux: So, MEK is used as a solvent for silicone? How does it compare to acetone with this sort of thing and is it good for anything else?

THEDANGLER: LOL, this strikes me as funny. Pretty much any store in the US carries distilled water. If it doesn't say "spring water" and it's sold in the store it's either distilled or purified with reverse osmosis which is damn near as good. I'm not sure how they purify spring water but it usually contains more minerals than distilled or filtered because the minerals aren't filtered out.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (04/07/05 11:53 PM)

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

#4034107 - 04/09/05 11:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

well yah my question seemed stupid but a stupid person told me a little while ago that you cant use distiled water from the store because their are alot of minerals and stuff in it...he must have confused him self with purified...just one more question and ill leave this tread alone how should i go about useing vacutainers for strain storage..? wont it being a vacume kill the mycillia?

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale