Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
my innovation of the pf tek UPDATED 4/22/05
    #4021209 - 04/06/05 12:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hey fellow shroomers!
i had no vermiculite left over to make some pf tek jars so i figured id try something a little different. heres what i did:
1. Wash out all jars nice and good.
2. mix 1 pint of peat moss with a few hands full of calcium carbonate sand. Then Added 1 half pint of perlite and 1 pint of brown rice flour. And lastly 240 ml of water.
3. spooned into 6 half pint jars.
4. pressure cooked for 1 hour (the stage im currently in)
5. let cool for 6-8 hours
6. inoculate with spore syringe (1-2 ml per jar)

Now i kno the purpose of vermiculite is to provide airy spaces for mycelium to grow and also for water retention. There apppears to be good airy spaces in the jars i made up i'll take a pic later when their doen pc'ing. And lastly the peat moss and perlite are for water retention although i kno perlite isnt as good as vermiculite for this purpose but im hoping the combonation with peat moss will serve its purpose. this is kind of a grow log so i'll be posting colonization progress all the way through casing and fruiting (if it makes it that far)
so any pointers, criticism, feedback, etc. is appreciated as always
thanks
-lordoftheshroomz

4/10/05

that is the jar with the most colonization at this point, they have been incubating at 84-86 degrees constantly and also i have perlite in my incubator for humidification. all the other jars have at least some sign of mycelium at all for inoculation points. now for the bad news, i did lose two jars to cobweb mold already which im guessing is due to the fact that my syringe was home made although there are other possibilities. i threw one of the jars out and i kept the other just to see wut happens because i opened it up to verify that it was cobweb and the myc seemed to be fighting it off by colonizing it ill post a pic of that later though. anyway ill update again if i lose anymore jars or if anythign else comes up otherwise ill jus update when i spawn them to bulk substrate.
-lordoftheshroomz

4/22/05
check my last post on this thread
-lordoftheshroomz

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Edited by lordoftheshroomz (04/22/05 10:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejamsandwich
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: my innovation of the pf tek (criticism required) [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4021217 - 04/06/05 12:54 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

a vermiculite layer is very important to have in the tops of the jars to keep out contams. Did you replace this layer with anything?

--------------------
8 years now! lol

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4021218 - 04/06/05 12:54 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

nice experiment!~

I would have left out the perlite.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: my innovation of the pf tek (criticism required) [Re: jamsandwich]
    #4021220 - 04/06/05 12:54 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

nfortunately not but last time i didt the pf tek i didnt use the dry layer of verm and i had no contams so i figure ill be ok

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4021244 - 04/06/05 12:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

thanks roadkill

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMpimp
719 Colorado 719
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between the turntables...
    #4021271 - 04/06/05 01:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

hope it works for you, if not that what we all learn from. it takes trial and error to find out the unknown, so good luck and keep us posted! i agree w/ Road tho... i would have left out the perlite.

GOOD LUCK
SHROOMpimp

--------------------
:safesex: Just My $0.02... :safesex:

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: my innovation of the pf tek (criticism required) [Re: SHROOMpimp]
    #4021288 - 04/06/05 01:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yea i was having second thoughts about the perlite too but i was originally gonna add a pint of perlite rather than a half pint i jus went the middle road

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4021298 - 04/06/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Perlite wicks out moisture, why people put it in their jars :confused:

I still don't quite understand how that works...But I can see how they myc. would colonize it well :thumbup:

Get some tyvak, asap :wink:

Gl man

-Gnostic

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4021350 - 04/06/05 01:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

kind of a shitty picture but hopefulyl it gives u the idea

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4022384 - 04/06/05 06:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

jars were cooled in freezer in like 2 or 3 hours then inoculated with PESA spores ill update again in like 3-5 days or whenever i see mycelium with pics

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4038446 - 04/10/05 09:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

bump for the edit i jus made

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4038527 - 04/10/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mix 1 pint of peat moss with a few hands full of calcium carbonate sand. Then Added 1 half pint of perlite and 1 pint of brown rice flour. And lastly 240 ml of water.
3. spooned into 6 half pint jars.

Peat moss = no real nutes, it's a casing layer...
Perlite wicks out moisture, why do peeps still use it? :confused:
Calcium carbonate = Ph buffer...

You'll get an empty flush, well, there's no nutes so if it fruits anything i'll be surprized lol...By empty flush i mean no pysiloben/pysilocin , or very small amount....

Ever read penlights instant rice adventure :wink:

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: my innovation of the pf tek (criticism required) [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4038594 - 04/10/05 10:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i added brown rice flour too for nutes and i kno i shoulda left out the perlite but there definately are nutes cuz of the brown rice flour

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4038609 - 04/10/05 10:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How much brf in the whole mix?

BRF has crap for nutes, but it has some, taking out some from the additional mix wouldn't be such a great idea...

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: my innovation of the pf tek (criticism required) [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4038648 - 04/10/05 10:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

liek the post says i mixed in a pint of brf with the whole mix so theres a good 1/6th of a pint of brf in each jar and i kno that brf is crap for nutes produces small shroomz but im gonna spawn some to bulk and case the others

--------------------

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
    #4086147 - 04/22/05 09:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I think that was a great idea, and I honestly thought there was no alternative or substitute for verm. Because of it's properties.
But, imo, this is good: peat (holds moisture), Calcium carb. (pH adjuster for peat), and a smidge of perlite would give a little air space :thumbup:

GL

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: my innovation of the pf tek (criticism required) [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4086180 - 04/22/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

well i have bad news for everyone on this topic.... the grow log has come to a bit of a halt but not so much. most of the cakes got contaminated. it must have been because of the home made syringe ( a not so sterile lysoled down environment). but there were a couple that were almost colonized so i took them out of the jar, cut away the uncolonized portions broke them up and spawned them to bulk substrrate, then after 7 days of being locked up for failing a drug test:( :blush: :shake: :razz: :crying: i get out and the spawn is doing great! not a single sign of contamination, it was nicely colonized so i cased using 50/50+ peat/verm/ calcium carbonate sand and its currently incubating. i'll re-update with picks just before i patch the casing and then again when  it pins.
other than that it worked out great got good rhizmorphic growth (btw the strain was PESA) and id definately do it again when i get some more brf even tho i have vermiculite

--------------------

Edited by lordoftheshroomz (04/22/05 09:32 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation