Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
makign your own wood steamers/benders?
    #4019861 - 04/06/05 12:03 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

a little history about me and my intentions.  skip to bottom if your add like myself :grin:

im looking into building campers as a side job.  more of a hobby, but to amke a little cash as well.  my dad did this along with boats when he was younger so i have been picking his brain. 

my starting one is going to be for me.  it will fit a flat bed and im planning on making it a high sleeper with electricity.  the final plan is going to have cupboards, tv, dvd, suround sound, maybe a mini fridge (see how space allows) and perhaps a sky light.  all that stuff is relativly easy.  what my main focus is, is to make it REALLY nice wood finishes.  that is one of my favourite thigns to do.  turn log into art, although im pretty bad at it. 

i also like to take trees that are already fallen.  so i spend some time out in clearcuts and scanning peoples yards for wood that has been taken down or came down in storms.  i especialyl look out for select hardwoods and fruit trees.

i am also maybe considering running solar and amking the camper run completely off its own battery system.  that would be a must if i were to sell them i think.

your input on things youd like in a sleeper woudl be killer.  keep in mind these are not stand up style, tehy are lay down, and sit down type things.

anyway ill stop boring people.

what im trying to think through is a steamer that works as a bender.  all mechanical in the wya it feeds and such.  what i want is somthing that can do up to about 5 feet and be fed through somthing like a planner feeds through wood.  i want to make it adjustable and basically have the steam turned on and jsut be able to push it through.

im still thinking this one through, and its not a big part of the building of the campers, but i though it would be uber cool to have...plus it cuts down on time.  teh other thought is i can use this to get teh nice curved top that you see some campers and lots of mini trailers have with aluminum.  but picture that with a nice maple or somthing.

i should also probably emphasize cost is pretty important.  id rather put sweat into it than money where possible, if you know what i mean.

anyway im sor to ffishing for ideas or input.  anything would be of help.  shroomers always seem to be pretty creative!  :grin: :tongue2:

peace.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Edited by kadakuda (04/06/05 12:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: makign your own wood steamers/benders? [Re: kadakuda]
    #4019909 - 04/06/05 12:18 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

if i'm reading correctly, you want to bend wood. there isnt a push through answer to this. the way i bend woods when making guitars is to put the pieces in a mini trough that has water in it and sits on hotplates. i let it go at 160F untl the water penetrates (usually a few hours), then i bend into a form and lock it down. after it drys, it retains the shape well enough to glue to the back and top of the guitar.

hope this helps some.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: makign your own wood steamers/benders? [Re: automan]
    #4019943 - 04/06/05 12:29 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i was sort of worried it may be like that....ive never looke dinto before this project.

but if i made a jig out of dowling and steamed it from underneath and slowly pushed/worked it through, do you htink it would hold once removed? im thinking 1/8" maybe 1/4" tops. the other thing is it will be board, nto ply. that shouldnt make a diff though i wouldnt think? jsut need to be really carefull with the grain splitting?

sound about right? way off?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineOJ
old hand
Re: makign your own wood steamers/benders? [Re: kadakuda]
    #4019993 - 04/06/05 12:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

automan: making guitars must be a cool job man :smile:

Do what you love

-- OJ

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies