Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Tony Blair Sets Election Date
    #4016434 - 04/05/05 11:18 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So, Tony Blair has called a general election for next month, May 5th. Any of you Englishfolk out there care to comment?

You dont actually vote for PM, right? You vote for parliment and they elect a PM? British politics confuses me.

If he's not PM, who are the leading candidates? Are they anti-US, or rubber-stampers like him?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Tony Blair Sets Election Date [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4016468 - 04/05/05 11:27 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

His oppostition is the conservative party. They are more pro-US and pro-Iraq war than his own labor party.

Gotta love those Brits.

Blair will win easily, that is why he called the election. You wouldn't ever call for a new election if the opinion polls looked bad. I remember when Thatcher stormed the Faukland islands and then immediately called for an election. Get the people all pumped up with pride and then ask them how they feel. It was classic.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Tony Blair Sets Election Date [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4016628 - 04/05/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

His oppostition is the conservative party. They are more pro-US and pro-Iraq war than his own labor party.

I don't think there is much difference in the party line between them, although there have been more outspoken critics of the war in the Labour party. The Conservatives have been quick to use failures in Iraq for political point scoring.

The Conservatives are more anti-EU than Labour, but I would not say they were any more or less pro-US.

Labour has done an OK job on the economy, people still remember the mess under the last Conservative government and Labour has kept the loony left within its ranks well under control.

I think Labour will win, with a reduced majority, they have not done enough wrong to loose it.

The good news is, an early election is almost sure to take the Drugs Bill that would make fresh mushrooms illegal off the parliamentary timetable for a few more years.

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
    #4016634 - 04/05/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Wait a minute.... the elections only occur when the PM wants them too? That can't be right... there must be a regular schedule of elections, isnt there?

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Tony Blair Sets Election Date [Re: DieCommie]
    #4016641 - 04/05/05 12:19 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

There is a maximum term of 5 years, but the PM can call it early if he wishes. It does put the opposition campaign at a bit of a disadvantage.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Tony Blair Sets Election Date [Re: psilomonkey]
    #4017804 - 04/05/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It's the same in Canada. The ruling party can schedule elections whenever they choose, and each new election gives them a five year mandate.

In a way this favors the ruling party, but the reality is that they can't go calling for new elections willy-nilly every year or so. The public won't stand for it. Typically the election is called every four years more or less.

Don't forget there is also the "vote of non-confidence" counterbalance to this. If a bill introduced to Parliament by the ruling party is defeated in a straight up or down vote in Parliament, the government MUST call a new election right away -- no revote, no option to delay. This usually happens only when there is a minority (coalition) government in power, but it has made for some almost "back-to-back" elections in the past.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Tony Blair Sets Election Date [Re: Phred]
    #4017915 - 04/05/05 04:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It may favor the ruling party, but I believe that Thatcher was the first Prime Minister reelected in the last century. I don't even think that the reelected Sir Winston Churchill. I am no expert on the political system of the United Kingdom though.

And good point about the vote of no confidence and the mandatory elections.

In the UK, the Prime Minister is elected by the legislature. This makes sure that every government has the majority backing of the legislature, at least to begin with. To compare it to the American system, you would have to combine the House of Reps with the Senate, and then let them elect the President.

It makes their system more dynamic because if the Prime Minister wants certain legislation he already has the numbers to ram it through the law making body.

One reason that it is hard to get reelected in such a system is because people listen to your campaign promises. An American President can always blame Congress, and they all do. Nobody holds their feet to the fire because they always have that excuse. Not so in their system. If you promise something you better deliver.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #4020128 - 04/06/05 03:38 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Not so in their system. If you promise something you better deliver.

Lets not get carried away here...

When Blair was first elected 'New' Labour were handing out little cards in the run up to the election with their 5 campaign promises on, a couple of years later I remember seeing these analysed and it was amusing how far they had backtracked, changed the original promise or just failed to deliver altogether but still they got a second term. Most people in the UK realise that politicians are lying sacks of shit which is why only around 50% of the population is expected to bother taking part in the farce this year and why the Government are considering bringing in enforced voting.

Blair promised to deliver WMD's we are still waiting but he will still get in because like you say the Tories are more fucked up than Labour. Ooooh democracy is sooo great, i feel so blessed. At least I dont have to watch a dozy rednecklike GW running the country though so I should be thankful for small mercies..  :crazy:

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion