Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeteahsaurus
Stranger
Re: Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium [Re: shroom_me]
    #6234859 - 11/01/06 12:10 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I live in the U.S. and i want a good source for poppy seads so i can make tea. is their a website or something for cheap seeds to purchase in large quantities. Is lemon juice necessary?I want enough seeds to give me about ten doses of fairly strong tea. how many seeds to i need to use per cup?
Advice is greatly appreciated
thankyou

--------------------
A wise man once said...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
Re: Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium [Re: Peteahsaurus]
    #6235198 - 11/01/06 01:57 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Mmmmmm, cadmium :drooling:

http://poppyseedtea.com/

Q: I read all of these stories about people obtaining opiate-like highs from some sort of preparation of poppy seeds. Is such a thing really possible? I knew about the false positive the seeds can give on drug tests, but are they actually psychoactive?

A: Yes, many poppy seeds that are sold in grocery stores are the seeds of P. somniferum, the opium poppy. These seeds contain small quantities of psychoactive opiates, primarily morphine. Some people make tea out of relatively large quantities of poppy seeds in order to get the effects of the morphine. Following are details about a poppy seed tea related death which provide more information about the quantities of opiates present in poppy seeds and the related potential dangers associated with the ingestion of such tea.

In November 2005, we were contacted by a woman who reported that her son died in 2003 after consuming poppy seed tea. She and her family created a web site (poppyseedtea.com or Erowid cache) with details about the death including the coroner's report, which identified the amount of morphine found in her son's blood and urine during autopsy, as well as lab analysis results of a similar batch of poppy seed tea. The coroner's report found 210 ng/mL morphine in her son's blood and 1880 ng/mL in urine.

In this case, the seeds were purchased in bulk at a natural foods grocery store. Between 2.5 and 3 pounds of seeds were soaked in warm water with the juice of three lemons, for an hour. It was then mixed with honey to make it drinkable. Two liters of tea were consumed, leading to death (we don't know how much total water was used with the 2.5-3 lbs of seeds).

Following his death, a similar batch of tea was made, following the same recipe. This batch was submitted for testing by the coroner. Lab testing results found that this tea contained 259 ug/ml morphine. Codeine and hydrocodone were also detected. According to these numbers, assuming the tea he ingested had the same morphine concentration as the tested batch, the 2 liters he consumed would have contained around 519 mg of morphine. This is a very high dose. Pharmaceutical morphine (hydrochloride salt) comes in tablets ranging from 10 to 60 mg.

The autopsy also found therapeutic levels (those associated with the ingestion of normal therapeutic doses) of a number of other chemicals including: desmethylsertraline, diphenhydramine, and alprazolam...as well as low levels of bupropion and delta-9-carboxy-THC. While none of these appear to be significantly related to his death, it can't be ruled out that they could have contributed in some way to it.

http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=3107

Edited by schmutzen (02/08/07 01:27 AM)

Offlinemushroomcult
Stranger
Loc: nsw
Re: Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium [Re: schmutzen]
    #6252199 - 11/06/06 12:57 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

so thoes little black u get on bread u can grow an opium poppy from them

Edited by mushroomcult (11/06/06 01:10 AM)

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Re: Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium [Re: mushroomcult]
    #6252352 - 11/06/06 02:37 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, you may get either dutch blue or giganthium varieties.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6237251/an/0/page/0

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6267459 - 11/09/06 10:49 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

im about to plant a bunch of seeds in my backyard. the soil is clay and very hard, so im either gonna make a sort of raised bed, or im going to cover the ground with a layer of new soil. im gonna buy some bagged soil from the nursery. are there specific things that would be good to add to it or that i should look for when im buying the soil?

--------------------
Statements concerning my personal actions and habits, and life in general are not to be taken seriously

go to familyradio.com

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Re: Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium [Re: shane]
    #6267534 - 11/09/06 11:44 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Peat moss and manure incorporated into the ground every year will turn your clay to soil eventually.  I'd suggest that over the beds as they have deep tap roots and like it loamy.  I'd add some lime as well after doing a soil pH test.  I do a high phos nute for cabbage production and high nitrogen for flowering, superthrive is good too.  Chicken wire a few inches under the ground deters moles.  It's heartbreaking but you'll need to thin the plants to 12" apart.

Make sure they're getting full-sun.

:goodluck:

--------------------

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6267658 - 11/10/06 01:06 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

thanks. so the roots wont go deeper than a few inches? also, i dont know if people know this or not, but everyone says you should germinate your poppies in the fridge for a week. ive found that if you just soak them in a half inch of water, theyll germinate within two days.

--------------------
Statements concerning my personal actions and habits, and life in general are not to be taken seriously

go to familyradio.com

Edited by shane (11/10/06 01:17 AM)

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

#6267735 - 11/10/06 02:23 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

No, they have very long roots. I just broadcast out a few handfulls mixed with sand, then sprinkle cayenne pepper, blood meal and pee on them to distract birds, ants, rabbits, etc.

--------------------

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium [Re: Konnrade]
    #6267973 - 11/10/06 06:04 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

yeesh... of everything I've planted, I can't get anything to germinate.

I'm beginning to think that either I'm germinating them wrong, or my seeds are dead

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

#6268082 - 11/10/06 07:11 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I was going to ask how yours have been doing, are they the same seeds you were using for outdoors earlier?

--------------------

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6268126 - 11/10/06 07:43 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

my successfull outdoor grow was from a different bunch of seeds.

I sowed some in a pot outside and kept it moist... but the seedlings don't look like poppies.

They start off looking like poppies, with two long tendril-like leaves... but then they develop spade-shaped leaves that definitely don't resemble a poppy. The seeds in that pot were persian blue.

The peat pots never did germinate.

I think I'll cook the soil to sterilize everything and then sow more seeds in them... this time I'll use more seeds per pot. Something has got to germinate. There have to be a few good seeds.

Here in california, the weather is cool. Nights are in the 50's (fahrenheit), yet there's enough sun available for growth. I keep the soil moist, but not drenched... as far as I know, that's the best I can do to stimulate germination.

--------------------

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

#6268576 - 11/10/06 10:50 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Even with less than ideal growing conditions, (warmer, less sun) they should still sprout. I haven't heard much of non-viable seeds, but I definately suggest a different source, most have germination rates close to 100%. At least where I am I've only got one chance a year to do it right.

--------------------

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6268619 - 11/10/06 11:12 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

actually, now that I picked through the sprouts, I noticed that the spade-leafed ones weren't all that was growing. Those were just weeds, there do seem to be some familiar seedlings sprouting as well. Oblong leaves are visible, with some hints of serrated edges.

Looks like I'll have at least one or two nice sized persian blues this season.

It's a shame it's a wide, squatty pot, though... not much vertical room for taproots to grow.

--------------------

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6269437 - 11/10/06 03:58 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

a friend of mine sent me that photo. do they look weak or is that what normal sprouts looks like? this person said they were about a month old.

--------------------

go to familyradio.com

Edited by shane (12/05/06 07:03 PM)

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6304759 - 11/21/06 01:00 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i found seeds at OSH called "hungarian breadseed poppies". it even had a drawing of a dried pod on the front, which is what caught my attention. its funny to see such a taboo like that. anyway, a friend wants to sow a big tub filled with soil, because theres a lower risk of weed invasion and neighborhood cats trampling the sprouts. should the soil be pasteurized?

--------------------

go to familyradio.com

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #6304784 - 11/21/06 01:10 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

No, but thin those sprouts out quick :wink:

--------------------

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6306616 - 11/28/06 12:34 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i have an update on my strategy for germinating seeds. i tried germinating with just water in a shallow sauce-type bowl, and the seeds didnt sprout (at least not yet). then i added a little bit of peat from a leftover peat pellet, and they were sprouting by the next morning. also, its kinda cold at night here; it gets down to about 60, so you might try putting your dish in the fridge if its warmer, but every time ive tried so far, theyve started sprouting in less than 3 days. then you can just toss em into your garden or pots. a highly uneducated theory: i think that the water soaks up the nutes and the seeds in turn soak up the nute-filled water, so it all penetrates faster than if they are lightly watered.

--------------------

go to familyradio.com

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6306717 - 11/28/06 01:43 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I had a brugmansia cutting in some moist soil in a pot that I previously had a tazzie in...

the brug starts to rot... but I notice there's a dozen poppy sprouts growing around it, so I rip out the brug and let the poppies do their thing.

And here I was thinking I won't have any poppies :lol:

--------------------

Offlineshane
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6335159 - 12/05/06 01:29 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

two more questions from me. is the ice-o-late method not suggested anymore for reducing the tea? ive heard something about the frozen waste containing half the alkaloids, so your wasting half the product. and my second question. how can the cultivation of P. Somn be illegal and yet there are two varieties of seeds im seeing on seedracks at the nursery?

--------------------

go to familyradio.com

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6335192 - 12/05/06 01:46 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

cultivation is technically illegal, but there are many situations where the law just winds up not being enforced.

Such examples can be seen in gardens and nurseries where the uneventful and harmless sale and cultivation of poppies carries on peacefully and doesn't attract attention to itself.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order