Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFizikz
Not a real person
 User Gallery

New terrarium, new problem
    #4014753 - 04/04/05 11:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I have switched my terrarium because the last one i had could not hold humidity, and since im going to be using cakes for my first grow it needs to be humid. I have a descent sized little storage bin that has a see threw lid on it, i have put perlite in there to raise the humidity but it just doesent seem humid enough, i put a small heater next to the terrarium to raise it some more, I have a humidifier, but it's not ultrasonic, i was just wondering is it OK to open to terrarium lid a little bit to get it humid in there. Also i cant get any plexiglass for a drip shield so misting isn't an option at this point.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooGrowerPart2
semi pro

Re: New terrarium, new problem [Re: Fizikz]
    #4015064 - 04/05/05 12:27 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

100 percent humidity is very easy. This might sound dumb but is your perlite WET. If you have wet perlite lined on the bottom of a rubbermaid it is 100 percent.

Also check the sides of the container if there is condensation on it is 100 percent humid.

--------------------
Now listen hear mush babys, i just beleive its the right thing to do.... I got a brand new bitch corporate america, shes showing me alot of action right now.
But i know you put me on my feet and all, but you know, its time for me to grow.... You gotta let me go baby gotta let me go.. Im done for now so 1 for now, like all good things we must come to an end SO please show the same life to my friends.... DEAR MUSH MUSH

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: New terrarium, new problem [Re: PooGrowerPart2]
    #4049663 - 04/13/05 11:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I am having trouble holding humidity as well. I am gonna get an airtight cooler, that should do the trick :smile:

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New terrarium, new problem [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4049690 - 04/13/05 11:43 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You got some reading to do...you can mist without a drip shield, just do it fine over the cakes and mist the walls and top of the chamber..just dont mist until its dripping. Start reading through the FAQ's and Teks on this site, some things will become more clear and it will become easier.

Im sure its humid enough in there. If your going by condensation, thats something reading will fix. Condensation has to do with temperature variations, not humidity. You can have fine humidity with no or little condensation. Hygrometers is also something that you'll learn are unreliable. In our hobby we need to read 85-99% humidity...that range is bad for us normally though so most meters only read up to 85, 90, or 95% and then stop or say "HI" or something like that.

A cool mist (the other kind of humidifier) can LOWER your humidity. They are for air exchange. Especially if its the wick kind (big fan blowing over a big filter) and not a spinning impeller (Vicks Kaz). Opening your lid a crack is ok, but will also lower your humidity.

Heat will be a problem if it rasies your chamber to high. If your temps dont stay 73-77, I'd remove the heater.

Theres much much more I could say, but i dont have time and all the info is available to you on this site using the search function and FAQs. If your already doing that, keep doing it..things will keep becoming clearer.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation