Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBtrflyksss
NatureArtist
my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC.
    #4012582 - 04/04/05 02:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm doing my undergrad thesis on mushrooms, I'm an art student and I'm making realistic sculpture using 6 species, 3 of which i have found in the field and have tried to identify on my own. I've found identifications for 2 of the three found mushrooms, but the one i have not found anything like it. it is a white stalkless, almost half a cap growing from the wound of a tree. these caps are gilled and grow in groups and solitary with out fusion between each other. the caps i found were about 3 inches wide- about 9 inches wide. I've looked in many mycology books, and on many mycology websites, and have not found anything resembling this fungus. the closest i found to be this mushroom is a euro birch (something). i didn't write down the last word, i don't remember what it was, but couldn't find anything on euro birch anything. my thesis is on April 29, but i need time to do research and write up about this and my other mushrooms, if anyone thinks they can help me please respond to this or email me (preferably LaurenJ_Hill@hotmail.com) thank you i hope someone can help.

--------------------
art is everywhere you go, OPEN YOUR EYES!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Re: my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC. [Re: Btrflyksss]
    #4012697 - 04/04/05 03:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Could it be an Oyster mushroom? There are all kinds of mushrooms that look like this. We need more info or a good photo. A spore print could help you out a lot too.

Need more info!

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC. [Re: Btrflyksss]
    #4012706 - 04/04/05 03:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, if you could get a photo, you will have a much better chance of getting a Id

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
Re: my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC. [Re: fliped]
    #4013697 - 04/04/05 07:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

if your doing your thesis, why wouldn't you get a mushroom field book and identify it yourself? surely its important to know something about your thesis.

and remember that you can be the only one to truly determine the identity of the mushroom since you have real life access to it. The people on the shroomery can only make so much of a guess based off of what you give them.

OfflineBtrflyksss
NatureArtist
Re: my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC. [Re: Abermelin]
    #4013973 - 04/04/05 08:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i do have a field book, i have the audobon field guide book on mushrooms, i've also looked in peterson's field guide along with other books on mushrooms and identifications, but in all the books i've looked in and all the sites i've been on, i can not find an idetification for it. the mushroom i saw reminds me of the tree volvariella but the one i found has no stalk, plus it appeared to be half a cap, as opposed to the whole cap on the volvariella, and the one i found also had attatched gills where the volvariella has free gills. but the coloration and size match. i don't have a picture of it because my dumbass forgot to bring my camera with me, and the fungus was in nc, and i live in philly, and i don't have a spore print because when i found it, it was before i started doing research so i didn't know that a spore print is very important for IDs. and i always feel bad picking mushrooms, or removing shelf fungus or anything because it takes away from others being able to enjoy the beauty of it, which is a major point of my thesis, and picking it also stops the fungus from being able to grow and i feel bad killing it. but thanks for the responses, i wasn't expecting to get very far not having a picture, the most i have are some drawings and notes that i took during my reflection AFTER my observations. but if anyone else has any help or advice or anything it's all welcomed, thank you.

--------------------

OfflineAbermelin
Gnome Hat

Loc: In The Mycelial Network
    #4017194 - 04/05/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

it is very possible that you found a new species of mushroom. did i get that right? its genus>species... damn, i dont think i ever learned that in biology. well, what im trying to say is that you didnt find a new family of fungi, but you may have found a new type under a certain family of fungi. it is very possible as the mushroom kingdom is constantly evolving. Im sure such a find would boost your thesis credibility.

hell, after all the hurricanes went through, i found this mushroom in my backyard, it had 3 layers of coloration on its cap, and by layers i mean it was actually layered. i believe it had earthtones, like woody brown, mossy green, and a strange tint of yellow. i could never find what grouping it belonged to much less what exact mushroom it was. And it was growing all alone too.

oh well, good luck with your thesis. But i honestly dont think that picking mushrooms has that big effect on the survival of the mushroom kingdom. Even if we destroy nature, their will always be some type of fungi thats managed to exist.

OfflineBtrflyksss
NatureArtist
Re: my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC. [Re: Abermelin]
    #4019222 - 04/05/05 11:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

wow, that's very interesting. and i know picking mushrooms is not going to have a large effect on the survival of mushrooms, but i kinda feel guilty for doing it, because i want everyone to experience what i do in my finds, but i guess that's what my thesis is.

--------------------

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4021056 - 04/06/05 12:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Picking mushrooms is actually helpfull to the species. as you pick it, spores are released into the air from the movement, and the air current you create by moving your arm (small, but still present) can send thosands of spores flying for miles (it takes a spore literally hours to fall from the cap to the ground in a vaccum, think of what a tiny air current could do to it), thus spreading the mushroom to new places so that it may fruit and others can experience it.

And like Abermelin siad, it is very possible that you found a new spieces of fungus. Dont get too exited though, any mushroom enthusiast will tell you that he/she finds new spieces on an almost daily basis (as long as mushrooms are flourishing). The only time to get exited is if you discover a new Genus of fungi altogether, or if the spieces you found is of some benefit to humans (new medicine, food, psychoactive chemical, etc.).
It is kinda exiting though. If you can find a new mushroom every day that just tells you how much we really know about the fungi kingdom. We are like the pioneers of an unexplored territory.

OfflineBtrflyksss
NatureArtist
Re: my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC. [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4022723 - 04/06/05 08:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yeah i guess picking them would help them, i never thought of the releasing of spores into the air to spread, thanks

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC. [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4023480 - 04/06/05 10:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Actually the majority of the spores have already deposited directly below where the mushroom is. Flicking caps or moving the already opened up mushrooms does little for spore sipersal sinc ethey have already deposited theirselves.

There are still billions of spores on the gill plates, but that suggestion does not really help spread the spores. The majority of the spores fall on the surrounging grass by the mushrooms is where the next patch will grow 6-8 weeks later if the weather conditions are right. Mushrooms can grow to maturity in less than 24 hours and even cultivated shrooms in a terrarium will have sporwes all over the caps within a few hours of dispersal.

Other methods of spore dispersal is when the cow, gaur, or water buffalo eat the alfalfa and consume the shrooms inthe grasses they are chewing on.

Image sof this dispersal system are posted here somewhere in the Shroomery.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (04/06/05 10:50 PM)

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: my thesis is on mushrooms, i need help with identifying a species found in NC. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4024187 - 04/07/05 01:26 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

jesus christ man i was just trying to make the guy feel good about picking mushrooms, but oh well

OfflineBtrflyksss
NatureArtist
    #4028586 - 04/07/05 11:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

well thanks for the help so far all, if anyone is in the philly area you're welcome to come to opening night of my art exhibit april 29th at arcadia university in glenside pa. it will be running through may 20th.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification