Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
Radiohead: Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail Thief, as a whole
    #4011832 - 04/04/05 08:45 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I posted the following in a radiohead forum but got a retarded response. No other forum has the community feel of the Shroomery.

Over the years, in my mind, I have categorized Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief into a logical progression. In Kid A we see a search for meaning, enjoyment, and fulfillment. The character in the story seems to find it. But it's all a fantasy, and a mirage. Reality does not apply here. Take a look at the album cover. I'll give some lyrics to illustrate my interpretation.

"Everything in it's right place/What was that you tried to say?"
"I slip away/Standing in the shadows at the end of my bed"
"Fireworks and hurricanes/I'm not here/This isn't happening."
"You're living in a fantasy world/I'm lost at sea/Don't bother me/I've lost my way"
"Trapdoors that open/I spiral down"

The quote above relates to the first quote I will give from Amnesiac.

In Amnesiac we see the frustration, and anger, of someone who has sought irresponsibly for what he desires. The nebulous character, whom all these songs speak of, has been having too much fun, and is not paying attention to looming problems. I also get the impression of someone who still will not 100% accept the reality of his/the world's problems (You and Whose Army). I'll give some lyrics that illustrate my interpretation.

"But there are trapdoors, which you can't come back from." (Relates to Kid A)
"I want you to know/He's not coming back/Look into my eyes/I'm not coming back/So knives out"
"I'm living in cloud cuckoo land/And this just feels like spinning plates/Our bodies floating down the muddy river."

The reprised "Morning Bell" gives the impression that as hard as he tries, the character in these songs cannot help but notice that everything is not in its right place. It's now performed from a sick and tired perspective, rather than the original tone of someone who is going strong, running with the momentum of the problem. "Life in a Glass House" paints a picture of living in an unstable situation; The ephemeral walls wrought in Kid A are doomed to come crashing down.

Hail to the Thief makes little lyrical reference to the past albums, though one message of this work of art hits painfully true, no matter how many times I listen. We have not been paying attention, and have become doomed to exist in this distorted society, on this destroyed planet. The character that I have been referring to now realizes that he is not alone; everyone has been making the same mistakes, and damning themselves, for a long time. The album cover shows shows a land defined by money-making, without regard for morality, or this planet. Indeed, Hail to the Thief tells me that Radiohead is finally looking out to the world with their eyes fully open; the harmonious world created in Kid A is not the one we are standing in.

To sum up the three albums awkwardly and simply:
Kid A illustrates the joy of procrastination and ignoring responsibility.
Amnesiac portrays someone damaged by his recklessness, who still continues on the same foolish path
Hail to the Thief is like the noose breaking. The problems didn't vanish, even though they were ignored. We live in a world of wounds.

Edited by RedNukleus (04/04/05 08:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Radiohead: Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail Thief, as a whole [Re: RedNucleus]
    #4012224 - 04/04/05 12:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Nice post man, I enjoyed reading it. Don't really have any other comments about it.

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: Radiohead: Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail Thief, as a whole [Re: DNKYD]
    #4012421 - 04/04/05 01:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

that's alright, thanks for reading

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4012441 - 04/04/05 01:44 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'll second DNKYD.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Loc: nazi poland
Re: Radiohead: Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail Thief, as a whole [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4012476 - 04/04/05 01:54 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i can see your interpretation of the albums. and i understand what you are saying and agree to it. but another thing i noticed about the greatness of radio head is that (imo) the listener is the charecter... i dunno... amnesiac was my first radio head experiance and i still get goose bumps and peace out to the second track no matter how sober i am when i hear it... i dunno i agree with you but for me music is more auto biogriphal and i think of it like a scrap book... i usually remember to the first time i heard the song or if its on the radio alot the year i remember listining to it in highschool.... besides radio head what other bands do you listen to? have you heard of idyll swords? just a recomendation...

--------------------

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: Radiohead: Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail Thief, as a whole [Re: roby000]
    #4012849 - 04/04/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah that's an interesting way to view it. Like they're saying, "Let me tell you about yourself. Listen to this."

I said the character was nebulous, because to me they don't really seem like they're talking about the listener, themselves, or anyone in particular. Yet the same themes flow through their albums. So it feels like there is one character, he's just not discrete at all.

Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Loc: nazi poland
    #4013486 - 04/04/05 07:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yeah it makes sence especially since its the same guy who made all the songs maybe the albums are his diaries for that time frame and its his life he is singing but either way i like to associate the songs with my own memories and emotions, what other bands do you like or recomend?

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek

#4014839 - 04/04/05 11:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

that whole thing sounds very characteristic of thom yorke imo..  :wink:

very nice read.

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #4018734 - 04/05/05 09:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

cool :smile:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media