Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Anybody here into lizards??
    #4010429 - 04/03/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Iv come across a very large fish tank.. 90-100 gallon tank.

Iv got some lights and a heat rock.. So im thinking some sort of reptile, id rather go with a lizard of some kind, im not to interested in a snake or frog..

Whats some strange stuff you guys have, or have seen thats cool.

So far this guy is my fav basilisk-- http://urth.acsu.buffalo.edu/~pjg/basilisk.jpg

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Anybody here into lizards?? [Re: Legoulash]
    #4010537 - 04/03/05 09:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

despite what probably all internet caresheets tell you (by the way caresheets are largley peices of shit written by 12 year olds that have kept a leopard gecko....) 90-100 gal is not very good for a green basilisk.  well you could get away with that gallonage, but the dimensions SUCK with aquariums and lizards!  you want to give them a little more running around space, they can be very active.  they enjoy climbing i have noticed.

personally i would not go smaller than 4'x4'x2' (plywood sheet cage as i call them).  i prefer to give animals ltos of room to roam.  choice is KEY to reptile husbandry.

ive kept tons of stuff over teh years.  bearded dragons are great pets if your entering the hobby.  not picky eaters ever, friendly, easy to care for.  problem is, with most lizards over a foot, is they are kind of pricey to feed.  but thats all relative i suppose.

may also want to look into desert iguanas, colalred lizards (one of my favs), water dragons, larger anoles (display), dwarf monitors...ackies are the most reasonable price.

aquariums do NOT suite many lizards very well.  although most kids, schools, and pet stores readily use them due to teh over abundance of shitty info available :frown:

edit:  heat rocks are useless for basilisks.  throw the thing out.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Edited by kadakuda (04/03/05 09:53 PM)

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

#4010549 - 04/03/05 09:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

where can you find those?

a very attractive species is the male veiled chameleon.

it has a huge casque on it's head, and can change a variety of colors.

i found chameleons difficult to care for, though.

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Anybody here into lizards?? [Re: psilocyben]
    #4010576 - 04/03/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

aquariums are to chameleons like open jars are to mushrooms...although veileds are more hardy.

all screen enclosures are really the way to go. but proper chameleon care is quite a bit of work. most peopel getting into the hobby wont have the time/energy/resources to care for these properly.

--------------------

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anybody here into lizards?? [Re: kadakuda]
    #4010638 - 04/03/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If aquariums are bad for air exchange of anything, iv got hte most extravigant lid youve ever seen.. 2 5" fans for intake and outake.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#4010740 - 04/03/05 10:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yes fans can work.  with many of these animals (ESPECIALLY chameleons, humidity) humidity is a large concern.

when i was breeding jacksons chameleons i have a floor to ceiling corner enclosure.  was 8' tall, diamond shape from above, and came out about 3-4'.  teh top, and 4 sides were ALL screen, teh door was glass.  because these are high mountain rainforest chameleons they needed rather cool (relative to other species) temps and LOTS of humidity.  i was misting the things for a good 15 mins straight 3+ times a day.  i had to add a drain to the bottom of the tank and switch all plants to pots :frown:

anyway a few things you need to be worried about.  drafts, heat, humidity, ventilation.  it all depends on teh species you pick.  basilisks would do good in an aquarium if it had mroe floor space.  they are too narow imo to comfortably house a full grown one.  other than that they are fine for things liek air exchange and that.  chameleons are a whole nother ball game, which pet stores dont seem to tell people.  if your goign cham's go for a veiled as mentioned above.  tehy are tough as nails as far as chams go!  very pretty as well!!!

having a bearded dragon would eliminate all of the listed problems above....dry warm lots of food=happy dragon :grin:

great hobby man...addicting hobby!  best thing i have doen in my life is get into this.

--------------------

Offlinepoorphucker
Worthless Poster
 User Gallery

Loc: New Brunswick Canada
    #4010753 - 04/03/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Have you thought about the differences between meat eaters and vegetarians? We like iguanas. One of our iggies has a five foot aquarium  and the other is free range...lol. She is litter trained which is pretty cool. Alot of people get herps and ditch them. You might look at getting a rescue from some place. There are more than you would know. One of our iggies is just that. People are ignorant to the needs of proper diets for herps. The previous owners gave Nugs (the iguana) nothing but lettuce for 3 years :mad2:. He has grown twice the size since we got him and is so content. Standard meal......collard greens, dandy lions, squash, red pepper, mango, and a bowl of kibble a day. Livin like a king...lol. People sometimes don't realize how much it costs to feed a herp properly. Especially the bigger ones. Prospective additions to our family one day...geckos, a snapping turtle, fiji island iguana and a mating pair of bufos. That should keep me busy for awhile. Think of the commitment of age too. We have been told by our vet that we could get up to 20 years if we keep the diet the way we have been (he was referring to Trinity our female). Nugs does not have that long of a life ahead of him because of his childhood :sad:. He is only 3 or 4 now.

Good luck!
Az

--------------------
Remember kiddies...............
Automobiles are not an illusion!
Fire is not your friend!
And YOU CANNOT FLY...unless you are on a 20 story building and jump! Practice makes perfect!

Offline20thCenturyFox
sporting Shroomgoggles
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet Earth... ?
Re: Anybody here into lizards?? [Re: poorphucker]
    #4010759 - 04/03/05 10:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I like Chameleons :smile:

--------------------
EndOfTheBar,That'sJustWhereI'llBe,Don'tTryAndComeFindMe,CuzI'mAlreadyDead
Jess'EEE-kaw

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Anybody here into lizards?? [Re: poorphucker]
    #4010771 - 04/03/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

good luck getting fiji's my man. pretty rare! *possibly* a hybrid though. im bad with my iguanids, i could be thinking of another specie. im pretty sure they are UBER rare though.

--------------------

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: Anybody here into lizards?? [Re: psilocyben]
    #4010797 - 04/03/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyben said:

a very attractive species is the male veiled chameleon.

it has a huge casque on it's head, and can change a variety of colors.

My Bro has a male veiled chameleon. The colors and patterns on that thing are awesome. It is an omnivore. My Bro has had no difficulties with it. It doesn't live in aquarium though, but a custom made enclosure roughly 6' tall by 8' wide and 1.5' deep in a greenhouse.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anybody here into lizards?? [Re: California]
    #4010872 - 04/03/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Wow that sounds nice, my tank is only 18"X 18 1/2"X49"

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#4010896 - 04/03/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

49 long right? id count out chams. veileds are awsome! breeding chams brings out some wicked colours. when teh female finishes her cycle and decides its time to STOP they can go pitch black with green, yellow, orange, purple, blue spots. its out of this world!

--------------------

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4010929 - 04/03/05 11:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I loooked it up and i guess its only a 70 gallon

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #4010940 - 04/03/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Gecko.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#4010956 - 04/03/05 11:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

well what exactly are you looking for in a lizard?  tropical, desert, temperate?  colourfull, dull, dont matter?  friendly, fast, docile, agressive, display?

its not so much about gallons as dimensions.  a 90 gal could be ok for a basilisk, but that 18" floor width just doesnt quite cut it in my opinion.

most of my cages are in stoage but i can snap a few pics off of teh ones i have setup right now if you like.  only ones i have kept and have in better cages are beardies and day gex.  i ahve since sold and packed up much of my stuff :frown:

--------------------

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4011035 - 04/03/05 11:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I want somthing for display, I couldnt find myself being "attached" to these animals. Theyre more for keeping me away from the TV.. somthing cool is what im after.

I was thinkin piranah at first but then I have ot deal with filters and lots of other bs..
.those camilions seems cool

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4011087 - 04/04/05 12:04 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

holy shit, that thing looks awesome. man i used to really like lizards, but my dad wouldn't let me get one. yeah i remember now.. fucker..
yeah, deff get some kinda lizard or animal ..or something though, cus that's really cool

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anybody here into lizards?? [Re: Locus]
    #4011116 - 04/04/05 12:12 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well iv already got a dog.. And hes well.. hes probley my best friend. And hes trained enough to keep me and him happy now he just has to keep the bad guys away.

After doing more research on lizards on the net I think i may wait awhile.. The tank would be a perfect mushroom growing habitat so ill probley fill er with some edibles or somthin.. Theyre nice to look at too.. *strokes beard, hmm

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#4011201 - 04/04/05 12:29 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:lol:  ya if your not ready dotn bother.  beardies will get you attatched i think.

if you want display for that tank i think you would like anoles.  being in canada is kind of a pain in the ASS to get rarer reptiles thoguh!  check out knight anoles and jamaican anoles.

also may want to check out day geckos, although your tank should be higher for them.

also check out www.ssnakess.com and port credit pets if your out east.

--------------------

Offlinepstupid
foaf
    #4011412 - 04/04/05 01:43 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I ate barbecued Iguana.. it wasn't in Tijuana though.

--------------------
What is your major malfunction?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies