Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshobimono
Why?
Azure cultivation
    #4007807 - 04/03/05 05:11 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Couple questions about growing azures outdoors.

Wood chips were soaked in water for two days and drained. The chips were put in a large plastic bag and spawned with colonized wood chips/rye. The necks of the bags are rubberbanded around pvc tubes packed with polyfil. They are colonizing in the dark in a cool basement.

1. While the chips are colonizing, they look kinda dry. Should the bags be opened and the chips sprayed with water? or should they just be left alone until they are to be put into the ground?

Looking at the archives there is a "how we made our azure bed" thread. In it Una showed they initially covered the bed with a "casing soil" layer. It colonized, then they put more soil and grass seed on it. In the thread Yachaj mentions that when he put more soil on top, he didn't get fruits.

2. Should one put that final layer of soil and then grass seed on top? Or should one just leave it so there is a pile of woodchips sitting in the ground?

3. What is the range of shade/direct sunlight that they can tolerate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Azure cultivation [Re: shobimono]
    #4007929 - 04/03/05 07:27 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

1. no, never add more water or open the bag.
2. the top layer helps to deter some pests and retain moisture, I recomend it
3. it should never have direct sunlight, light filtered through leaves of shrubs/trees is better

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Azure cultivation [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4008260 - 04/03/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

stop what you are doing!! Get rid of that rye infested wood chips. It will most likely contam once its outside. I made azure beds many years back and they all contamed because the grain infected. It is much better to use bran. I use wheat bran in a 4:1 ratio with wood chips. 4 parts wood to one part bran. Soaking for 24 hours is enough and more is not better here.
Heres what you do. Soak the wood, drain the wood for a 15-30 mins. Add bran to the whole lot at above ratio. You will want to use a bran that practically desolves, wheat bran does this. Fill jars/bags. Pc for an hour. Add spores, lc or whatever. Let jar/bags colonize. Now pour these jars into a large rubbermaid tub and add more wood chips weekely. Keep warm, 70-80 degrees. It will speed up colonization. These pics are taken from my shiitake grow log

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Edited by tahoe (04/03/05 12:14 PM)

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#4008276 - 04/03/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Alll i know is wood chips from the side of a road about a month old and some mushroom spawn mixed in layered ontop of a tarp worked very well for some people. I think they covered the top of the bed with another tarp. I heard they watered it every three days or so. Withing 5 months the bed was fully colonised about 24 square feet wurth at about 6 inches deep. And fruited around october at about a half pound or so. I heard minimal spawn was used and they remixed the woodchips halfway threw the season.

Re: Azure cultivation [Re: tahoe]
    #4008285 - 04/03/05 11:20 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I would use rye grain to start, spores or agar onto wood takes a very long while. Rye grain to wood and shakin a few times works very well. Contams out side are virtualy nill even when using rye, as long as you place it down inthe wood chips away from the open air.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Azure cultivation [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4008305 - 04/03/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

as for adding soil to the top, i wouldnt. Mr Stamets told me just to use wheat grass or any other type of coarse grass. He said, "directly sprinkle the seed onto the wood chips. The seed will fall into the grooves and germinate and grow. You will find that the mycelium is just below the surface during the summer and will rise to the top once it starts rainging and it will fruit."
I talked to him at the www.mssf.org fair about 6 years ago

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

#4008337 - 04/03/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah no need for soil as far as i know, grass seed would be nice.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Azure cultivation [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4008421 - 04/03/05 12:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

here is a small cyan bed.

a closer look, damn bird or something are eating peanuts. Its cool the shells may become cyan food.

the gaurdian of the bed appearantly not doing his job.

This bed was spawned with chips that ended up with cobweb mold becasue i took fresh oak brush chips that were not boiled and added them to the chips while they were inside. Cobweb mold doesnt do well outside on wood chips. The cob web died and the cyans have taken over. This is about 6 inches thick. I will add some fir to it today. See the mycel poking through most the bed, notice the area where the big chunk was. Its soild white

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

#4008457 - 04/03/05 12:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

definitely going to make spawn from wheat bran when the time comes.
relocation to a proper climate will come soon, so maybe i'll make the bed and wait for it to fruit till next year.
glad that this was not hastily approached, so that i can get a chance to sift through everyone else's successes and failures.

definitely going to give that wheat bran a shot, though.
thanks tahoe

--------------------

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
Re: Azure cultivation [Re: psilocyben]
    #4008943 - 04/03/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the advice about bran, but foaf will have to go with the 4 bags of woodchips that have a bit of rye in them. The amount of rye is minimal, almost nil compared to the amount of woodchips in the bags, so it really shouldn't be a problem.

For the most part, the wood appears to be colonizing nicely. It is interesting to see the differences between the initial 2 bags he made with 2 different methods.

One bag was just soaked and then pasturized and the other was soaked and pressure cooked. The pressure cooked wood turned real real dark while the soaked wood stayed light colored. Now the pressure cooked wood is colonizing slightly slower than the other bag and it has a bit of cobweb in it (it has been moved to another box and location).

Where do you get wheat grass seed? what is "coarse grass"?

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4010225 - 04/03/05 08:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

wheat grass

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
    #4011156 - 04/04/05 12:20 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

ok, where do you get wheat grass?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck