Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOisatsanaYert
Stranger
Which would be easier growing?
    #4008172 - 04/03/05 12:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"It's pretty much definite: I have to grow my own shrooms or mj. I simply can't afford the crazy prices over here. The only problem is that I live on a campus. Now, I can keep this secret enough so that no one else knows about it, and they can't just come in and search my room without me knowing. When they do search my room, they're not allowed to open any closets/cabinets or look under anything. So, which would be easier/more covert? Keep in mind my space limitations. If possible, I would like to keep this whole thing in a small cabinet or trunk. Also, what are the estimated costs of each? I don't plan on dealing or supplying a lot of people, mostly just myself, and I'm sure the occassional friend or two."

A friend of a friend sent that to me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Re: Which would be easier growing? [Re: OisatsanaYert]
    #4008277 - 04/03/05 01:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Shrooms would be better suited for growing in this situation. Pot plants are going to take up way more space if you want to get any kind of a decent yield, and you better have a gigantic cabinet if you want to get more than a 1/2 oz. And there's the smell to worry about. It will take roughly 2 1/2 to 4 months from start to finish with the pot, whereas the mushrooms will only take between 3 and 6 weeks to complete.

The primary concern with growing pot indoors, aside from genetics, is light. You need a lot of light. For your space, your only practical option would be to use lots of fluorescents, since High Intensity Discharge lights put out a lot of heat that you need to vent. You'll also need a fan in there to help strengthen the stems.

Growing mushrooms is definitely more involved than growing pot, but they are perfect for smaller spaces. Whereas a 5-year old could grow pot (drop the seed in the soil, water, wait), the procedure is a bit more complicated with mushrooms. The primary concern with mushrooms is sterilization. You need to mix your substrate, put it in canning jars, sterilize them with a pressure cooker (or a pot of boiling water), let the jars incubate in a heated area (86 degrees is supposed to be ideal), put the colonized mycelium "cakes" in a terrarium (at lower temperature) with proper humidification, ensure that there is enough ventilation for fruiting, and put a small light on top of the terrarium that signals the mushrooms in which way to grow (they don't photosynthesize). You may also want to add the optional step of "casing" (look it up).

OfflineMaJikFungus
There's a Fungusin my closet

Loc: School of Athens
    #4008279 - 04/03/05 01:18 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds a bit risky , but if you are willing to take the risk here is how you may do it. I used to grow in a cabinet from homedepot , but Im on my way out to a new place where I will be able to construct an actual grow room. This set up can be had for abour 400 bux.

--------------------

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
    #4008339 - 04/03/05 01:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

MUSHROOMS!
let me list some key points
-no smell to worry about
-VERY simple to do in a small container. i have grown inside a safe less than one cubic foot in volume to excellent results
-in a couple months you will have more that enough shrooms for yourself and a couple friends if your grow is even decently sized
-you can start up a grow for less than $50 easy and from there on it is about $10-15 for future grows, depending how you do it. if you are going to do grains then you will need a pressure cooker which can cost a bit
-i have never grown marijuana, so i cannot personally tell you how hard or easy it is, but friends who have done both say that growing good nug is much harder. but growing shrooms with success vs. shitty weed it is probably easier to grow weed. under your curcumstances though, it is pretty impractical to grow weed and for even a shitty grow it will cost more.

i personally would much rather have a weed plant than some shrooms but it's still pretty fun to do and, as long as you can follow instructions and not be a dumbass, quite easy.

so hop to it! gl brotha

o one more thing, only grow on campus if you are absolutely 100% sure that you will not be caught by fluke. too bad thats impossible!
in other words, be fucking careful because it is a stupid thing to fuck your life up on.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4008367 - 04/03/05 01:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I would not grow on campus, you sign away your rights to privecy, there are too many variables. Tell your friend to wait untill he moves off.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlinesyanesso
100% pupil

Loc: Evergreen State
Re: Which would be easier growing? [Re: gdman]
    #4008386 - 04/03/05 02:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

grow the mushrooms, then trade them to somebody for some weed.

--------------------
make sure it bruises blue

OfflineOisatsanaYert
Stranger
Re: Which would be easier growing? [Re: syanesso]
    #4008418 - 04/03/05 02:19 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Shrooms it is. And I don't think there is much to worry about on my friend's campus. Actually, he just got his room information for next year, and he's got his own bedroom in an apartment, and it's right on top of two floors of a sorority. Of course he'll make sure everything is OK privacy wise before he starts anything serious. Even when he does, he's not going to need much more than 1/4 an ounce/month. This isn't a regular college dorm, it's an on campus apartment.

OfflineSkryllz
Resident lurker
    #4009266 - 04/03/05 07:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Having done both I would say don't even try to grow pot unless you're ready to shell out some serious start up cash. Growing good pot indoors isn't cheap, it's difficult to hide, and isn't as easy as some people make it out to be. Mushrooms however are easy to hide, easy to grow, and have a relatively low startup cost($50-100 as opposed to $200-1000+ for pot).

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
    #4009547 - 04/03/05 08:30 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yea he should be able to get that much easily after the first month or two which is just the prep work for fruiting. read lots on here and make sure you know your tek and all should be easy.
don't start to over do it just because the easy access though... :smile: gl

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience