Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Eagerness of Youth
    #4007932 - 04/03/05 09:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I keep seeing posts from 'elders' that include subtle digs at younger people, like they are more susceptable to being naive, when in fact naiveness really depends more on character than age.

Heres why the young will always have the advantage over the old:

1. The old commonly get 'stuck in their way'.  They've already created their world view and stubbonly believe it to be solely correct.

2. Youth have the ability to accept and integrate the new.  To create a more accurate world view based on current times as opposed to the old view.

3. This is completely natural for the next generation to be taller and more intelligent.  This is an established part of evolution.

I don't judge peoples intelligence or dexterity by their age.  To do so is wrong and misguided in my opinion. :grin:

Edited by danoEoboy (04/03/05 09:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Eagerness of Youth [Re: Ego Death]
    #4008015 - 04/03/05 10:58 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Growing of age, is like climbing a mountain!
it takes a while to get there, but its worth it for the great view!

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #4008040 - 04/03/05 11:27 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

danoEoboy said:
I keep seeing posts from 'elders' that include subtle digs at younger people, like they are more susceptable to being naive, when in fact naiveness really depends more on character than age.

Actually, one could definitely see age as being an obvious factor of one's naiveness because naiveness itself means a lack of experience and understanding. One can easily recognize that the amount of experience available for a person to have is determined by one's age.

Of course, age isn't the sole factor in one's naiveness, but to deny that it is a major factor is, well, a little naieve. :lol:

Also, whether or not a so-called elder is making "subtle digs at younger people" is within the realm of one's own projections onto that elder's post. As there was nothing within the post itself to suggest that a subtle dig was being made, I propose that your observing one being there is merely a result of your own naiveness. You are projecting something onto reality that isn't there, or, at the very least, you are not capable of knowing if it is there or not (as it is not something that can be directly evidenced in the post itself). This is resulting from your own idea of Swami's intentions for making the post, and not Swami's actual post. You've made an assumption that cannot be made; you are apparently not experiencing reality in an open manner. :wink: At least, that's my perception. :lol:

I do not see why such a negative line between "young" and "old" must be drawn. There is no "ultimate advantage" that one holds over another. The variety of ages of humans on this planet creates a dynamic that allows for change, growth, and progress while ensuring a necessary stability and wisdom from experience. This needs to stay in balance. The intelligence and adaptability of the youth are useless if there is not a structure to instill understanding and knowledge, offer support and a means through which to develop, and a source of wisdom (no need to reinvent the wheel).

Not realizing the importance of such a dynamic is a prime example of the type of naiveness that is being called into question in this very thread. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4008476 - 04/03/05 02:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Heres why the young will always have the advantage over the old:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't you just make a judgement call here?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4008501 - 04/03/05 02:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Age constants are constantly used in legal situations to quantify a person's ability to be mature;

Driver's license, barely legal women, the ability to smoke/drink, punishment determined by age...

With all this emphasis placed on an individual's abilities determined by the age constant... why else would you think that people think and evaluate people on their age?

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Eagerness of Youth [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4008515 - 04/03/05 03:01 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I do not see why such a negative line between "young" and "old" must be drawn. There is no "ultimate advantage" that one holds over another. The variety of ages of humans on this planet creates a dynamic that allows for change, growth, and progress while ensuring a necessary stability and wisdom from experience. This needs to stay in balance. The intelligence and adaptability of the youth are useless if there is not a structure to instill understanding and knowledge, offer support and a means through which to develop, and a source of wisdom (no need to reinvent the wheel).

FG once again demonstrates youthful maturity! :thumbup:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology