Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Please analyze this theatre system I put together---need to build quick and need advice!!
    #4007843 - 04/03/05 07:57 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

OK, So after searching the net Ive finally narrowed down some of my choices. First off, a  few Questions:  I am a little confused regarding the differences between a ?rear? speaker and just your stereo/main satellite/monitor or whatever....the central speaker I see a noticeable variation but how does a ?rear speaker? differentiate from that of a stereo or main one when setting up surround sound?  A month ago, I asked for recommendations for a system but got little to no response so if this stuff doesn?t sound good, please criticize so I can re-think before I purchase and plz plz give alternate suggestions

Anwyays, Im thinking about the Kenwood VR 7080 6.1 for my Receiver since its pretty cheap considering its THX?

--BTW, does it matter if it?s THX if the speakers are not?

For my Cd/ DVD Player, Im thinking bout this Yamaha DV-S5270

Or

Panasonic DVD-S97

Another Q: Are there any benefits in getting a seperate CD chnager if one comes standard in a DVD player----Do seperate CD players exhibit higher audio quality?

A 3 channel floor speaker on each side of my system is a must for the music I want to be jamming out to?What do you think bout these:
Infinity Alpha 50

or
Yamaha NS-555

**I think these are cheaper for a reason?---if you know of some better ones for the price, do tell.

The center Speaker I think Im gonna go with the Infinity Beta C360

For the remaining 3 monitors, Im thinking the 10W Infinity Alpha 20?s

Im a little confused with this whole ?rear? speaker thang---I know I might sound kinda ignorant but just want to make the right choice.  Section of ?rear? speakers at shop compare

I just gonna go with a small sub since Im already getting enough base from the Floor speakers but is this system looking good?  Is there anything incompatible?  Please respond?.I?ve had my plasma for a month now with no fukin sound :frown:  :confused:
Thanks in advance, Psilly

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycophyle
tool
 User Gallery
Re: Please analyze this theatre system I put together---need to build quick and need advice!! [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #4013433 - 04/04/05 06:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

In surround sound, there are usually 5 speakers, plus the subwoofer. The front right and left play the majority of the sound you hear, center (for voices), and the rear channels. The rear speakers are generally small speakers that are only for "ambience", in that they only play background sounds.

Sorry I can't help w/ your speaker selections.

--------------------
Fight Apathy.
Or Don't.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Please analyze this theatre system I put together---need to build quick and need advice!! [Re: mycophyle]
    #4013602 - 04/04/05 07:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

a 5 speaker setup would 5.1---I was thinkin bout pushin to 6.1---I know most albums are only recorded in stereo but I just wanted something good.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Please analyze this theatre system I put together---need to build quick and need advice!! [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #4013629 - 04/04/05 07:40 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

How about just getting this system: and then hook it up to a 7.1 reciever instead of a 5.1 with those 2 big Alpha 50's upfront?

Would that be a better choice?

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
    #4013763 - 04/04/05 08:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

THX is an audio standard created by George Lucas (supposedly) being the pinnacle in theatre sound. It isnt a connection or type of system really...
95% of all home surround systems are out of phase which creates dead spots.... some DVDs like the Disney (?) movie Atlantis have a great THX optimizer which can help you set up your speakers perfectly using white/pink noise, bass, subs, and highs in every possible combination, also has a screen optimizer if interested.
I have found 5.1 to really be all you need, bumping it up to 6.1 or 7.1 is just showing off your income really, unless you have an enormous room which is going to seat a shitload of people. The setup you have picked seems fine, i didnt look at the specs, but anything that is out in the market is 5.1 compatible. The infinity's sound nice, my friend had a pair and they work really well.
Rear speakers, like mycophyle said, are for ambience, but also for sound direction, and when placed accurately can really give the entire room a 3-d sound effect.
More DVD's than CD's are being recorded in 5.1, and every time i go to someones house and listen to music, and they have a "surround sound" the rear speakers create dead spots in places as well as being aurally annoying with intermittent bursts of pan induced mixes.
Doesnt really matter which speakers you get unless you are a hard core audiophile, then you should get a frequency analysis on the room before picking out which speakers to use.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media