Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
16 students led away in handcuffs
    #4005143 - 04/02/05 01:44 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050402/NEWS01/504020367

Saturday, April 2, 2005
16 students led away in handcuffs
Undercover drug investigation led to arrests at Milford High

By Jane Prendergast and Reid Forgrave
Enquirer staff writers

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We'd like to know what you think about the recent drug problems at Milford High School, and the tactics used by school officials to stop them, which led to the arrests of 17 students Friday. Please send your comments to localnews@enquirer.com. Include your name, age, town of residence and a daytime phone number.

MIAMI TWP. - Milford High School took a high-profile step in an attempt to curb a drug problem, paying an undercover private investigator to conduct a seven-month investigation that ended Friday with 16 students arrested on charges of selling drugs.

The students - four of them 18 years old - were accused of selling marijuana, hallucinogenic mushrooms, the stimulant Extacy and the prescription anti-seizure medication Klonopin to the female investigator who posed as a student. The drug sales took place inside the school, on school grounds and at a business nearby, but all of the transactions started as conversations at the school, said Valerie Miller, spokeswoman for the Milford Exempted Village School District. And some of the money changed hands at the school, she said.

The district paid the investigator's firm $60,000. School officials wondered whether anyone would question the expenditure, Miller said, but decided soon after the Friday morning bust that it was worth the money.

"This is strong action that the district took,'' she said. "We're being very open about it. We want the message out that we're very serious about keeping drugs out of our schools."

The undercover investigator, from a firm in Dayton, had posed as a student since August. She befriended students and attended their parties, but police emphasized she did not use the drugs.

The four 18-year-olds arrested on felony aggravated drug-trafficking charges were: Kyle Dewitt, Jackson Tubbs, Andrew McAllister and Jared Schwartz. They were jailed in Clermont County and will have hearings Monday.

Of the 12 juveniles arrested, 11 were released to their parents Friday. One was taken to the Clermont County Juvenile Detention Center. Miami Township Police were still searching Friday for a 17th student, an 18-year-old.

Police said he is being sought on felony drug-trafficking charges.

The students also face potential suspensions and expulsions, said Superintendent John Frye.

Students were led out of school in handcuffs. Friday's arrests were the most dramatic step in a broader anti-drug program that's the mission of Principal Ray Bauer. Bauer is in his second year at the school of 1,840 students. Shortly after his arrival he announced that curbing drugs would be a priority, Miller said.

"It's tough enough to be a teenager," Frye said. "We don't want them to feel the pressure of drugs on a day to day basis."

Earlier this year, students were surveyed anonymously about their experiences with drugs at the school. Miller said those results indicated "that it was a bigger problem than first thought."

Police drug dogs have found small amounts of drugs in lockers and in vehicles outside. But the response from parents and students, Miller said, was: "You just touched the tip of the iceberg."

Bauer's plan also has included experts being brought in to speak about drugs, and staff members getting training in how to spot and deal with drug issues.

While school officials were proud of the step they took Friday, they also stressed that drugs are a problem at many schools.

"I don't think this is different than what's going on at any other high school," Frye said.

Some students agreed this was a strong, necessary statement by the district to help curb drug use. Others questioned whether the investigation was entrapment. Most said they knew about drugs at the school but never imagined this would happen.

One student suggested graduating seniors could protest at the school's May 28 graduation.

"This is going to ruin some of our friends' lives," said senior Amy Smith, 18. "If these students need help, there's better ways. If a statement was trying to be made, it was made. Congratulations."

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: motaman]
    #4005150 - 04/02/05 01:47 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

You don't see kids selling beer to each other at school. Why? Because it's legal for adults and it's regulated.

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: DNKYD]
    #4006407 - 04/02/05 08:12 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

No but you do quite often see kids drinking and being drunk at school..

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4007226 - 04/02/05 11:49 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

I deplore these kind of techniques.

The cops or the school usually import some hot little number (aged 19 or 20) into the school. The hot chick (who pretends to be a hippy or something) then does whatever she can to bust people. If you are some 16 or 17 year old boy and some hot chick is squirming on your lap and asking for a dime bag.......what are you going to do? Say no?

Jesus...I'll bet even the boys who didn't smoke weed were scrambling to find some to hook up this hot bitch.

Offlinehobgoblin
Stranger
    #4007922 - 04/03/05 07:19 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

One student suggested graduating seniors could protest at the school's May 28 graduation.

"This is going to ruin some of our friends' lives," said senior Amy Smith, 18. "If these students need help, there's better ways. If a statement was trying to be made, it was made. Congratulations."

Smart kid.

--------------------
Seek not to rationalize hobgoblins. ~ Yeats

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: hobgoblin]
    #4008122 - 04/03/05 10:08 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

The graduating seniors should all use drugs as they walk!

Or, even better, someone should dose this chick and this principle.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4008270 - 04/03/05 11:13 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
I deplore these kind of techniques.

The cops or the school usually import some hot little number (aged 19 or 20) into the school. The hot chick (who pretends to be a hippy or something) then does whatever she can to bust people. If you are some 16 or 17 year old boy and some hot chick is squirming on your lap and asking for a dime bag.......what are you going to do? Say no?

Jesus...I'll bet even the boys who didn't smoke weed were scrambling to find some to hook up this hot bitch.

Yep that about sums it up.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: baraka]
    #4011717 - 04/04/05 04:51 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Hmmm... $60,000 for 16 arrests... that comes out to over $3500 per arrest... thats a lot of textbooks... or another teacher (or two)...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: Seuss]
    #4011870 - 04/04/05 07:20 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

"It's tough enough to be a teenager," Frye said. "We don't want them to feel the pressure of drugs on a day to day basis."

What the good god hell? Why do you think we start smoking pot in the first place? High school is the grand suck.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4011953 - 04/04/05 08:07 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I guess Ill just state the obvious!

Quote:

paying an undercover private investigator to conduct a seven-month investigation

The Private investigator is not a Cop! Thus the private investigator is guilty of purchasing as well as possession of a controlled substance. The principal seems to be involved in conspiracy to promote the sale and purchase of a controlled substance as he provided the money and the instructions to the PI.

I think the Cops should through the book at those two! Hmm, putting on my thinking hat, I bet there is even violations of the RICO act as well!

The only affirmative defense (In my area) is for the Police and only in the commission of there duties. There is no opening for PI's or Principals.

OfflineSirFrancisBacon
Frog
 User Gallery

Loc: low earth orbit
Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: Cyber]
    #4012544 - 04/04/05 12:10 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

if they asked the girl if she was with the cops and she said no, would it be entrapment?

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: 16 students led away in handcuffs [Re: SirFrancisBacon]
    #4012838 - 04/04/05 01:39 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

No.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies