Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Loc: P.N.W.
Experimenting a bit: -with mycelium
    #4002531 - 04/01/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, im Trevor and I recently today I stumbled upon a great idea.
I've been wondering what kind of mycelium I have growing in my front underneath a rodedendron bush. We recently laid new mulch soil that is abundant in wood pieces. My mom made me do garden work, so while i was picking up sticks and other stuff from the garden beds I noticed heavy mycelium gorwing in clumps of wood pieces that were found below the pine needles(great wild casing layer) and I wondered what kind of mushroom this mycelium belongs to. I skinned the bark from maple log pieces that were freshly cut this spring in my uncles yard. I then cut up these long bark pieces into 3'' long pieces, and then inserted them into the soil where I thought it would be naturally the best setting for them under the bush(its pretty big). these were eventually colonized within a week with the same mycelium that was all over the bush already. I dug into the ground where I had put them before, and I slid out the pieces in which I noticed the thickest mycelium growth. I blew all the non-colonized dirt and debris from the chips so I had healthy colonized chips ready. Then I took a clean 'painter's tray' and laid down some white potting sand in a corner of it. I diddnt have any verm or moisture holder, so this was a last resort. I misted this flat pile, then boiled alder wood dust(small grains from a skill saw) that I had previously prepared in a small cup with water, and a paper towel covering.  I boiled untill almost all of the water was absorbed, so that all that was left was the rich sticky wood residue that the water left behind from when the water was absorbed. I then laid down a layer of this wood onto the sand, then placed some colonized chips over top of it- with the most-colonized side facing the chips. then I laid down another layer of wood mixed with alittle bit of sand to give it space. I repeated this process untill I was out of colonized chips. I then laid a thicker layer of wood, with also a good layer of sand, and I misted the whole thing with warm water. I took this painter's tray and hauled it into my room into a safe, clean, corner. I first put a towel on the carpet, then I put the still-slightly-warm tray ontop of the towel. I then put another towel overtop the prepared bed, and misted that with warm water untill it was evenly wet. I folded the towel into another layer that was slightly drier than the first. Then I needed a heating source to keep it all nice and warm and moist. I used a halogen lamp from my nightstand. I positioned it 6'' away from the moisened towel, and then used a thick blanket to cover the lamp and the bed, but not touching the lamp. This should be successful... It is my first attempt to indoor-colonize mycelium.
Since it is a wild species, It should benefit from the sand and the upward light rays, that could possibly be detected through the towel.
I have found Psilocybe Cyanscens growing in some sort of natural sand that was the same grain size as what I am using. There was hardly any visible wood in this sand, and yet Cyanscens still flourished a relatevely big patch in this. I think Cyanscens mycelium in general benefits from spaced-out settings, and has a hard time colonizing if it is trapped, since Cyanscens is a fast and strong colonizer anyway. Im hoping this little experiment would maybe get some sort of scientifical response -to gain more knowlege of it and what it benefits from.
I took a few pictures to get you few a visual. Here they are:

I came up with this idea when I was high, and when im high im genius.
It's all pretty ghetto in my setting, but I think the idea has alot of potential. :thumbup:

--------------------
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" -Pink Floyd.
Memories make up our lifes as we know it. Our souls are lost between time and space.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBurke Dennings

Re: Experimenting a bit: -with mycelium [Re: trevorda8]
    #4002538 - 04/01/05 11:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

So you know for sure what kind of mycelium you pulled out of the ground?

--------------------
Mr. Tato goes-a clap!
Mr. Tato, all the little things you hear...

Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Re: Experimenting a bit: -with mycelium [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #4002546 - 04/01/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No, this is just an experiment, but im pretty sure it is Cyanscens, since they were fruiting there last year.

--------------------
Memories make up our lifes as we know it. Our souls are lost between time and space.

InvisibleBurke Dennings

#4002555 - 04/01/05 11:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Why not just let them fruit there this year, then?

Regardless, good luck with your experiment.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Mr. Tato goes-a clap!
Mr. Tato, all the little things you hear...

Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Re: Experimenting a bit: -with mycelium [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #4002576 - 04/01/05 11:19 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well, theres a heavy ammount of it anyways, so no risk in taking alittle bit.
Thanks for the luck, hopefully it will pull through.

--------------------

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #4003293 - 04/02/05 01:56 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

sounds like you get bored when you are stoned and stay up all night thinking of stuff todo.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation