Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Slow Colonization: HELP!
    #3997053 - 03/31/05 06:48 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Hello all, any help appreciated:

Currently colonizing 20 jars. The first 6 are Gulf Coast strain and are progresing as normal & the jars are nearly colonized at 2 weeks(some of bottom remains to be colonized).

The other 14 jars are Treasure coast and are not progressing normally based upon my previous experience.

The 14 Treasure Coast jars are growing on a finer grade vermiculite than the Gulf Coast strain, as the local vendor changed vermiculite brands. Other than that, the cakes are the same. All the jars were inoculated within a day of each other, & have been sitting in a dark closet un-incubated for the past 2 weeks. Temp around 78

Ths has always worked with gulf coast & I have not used an incubator before when using that strain.

But the treasure coast jars are colonizing very unevenly. Some jars are only growing mycelium at one injection sight, others are not growing mycelium at all. Others are doing fairly well and are colonizing from al 4 injection sights.

There is no sign of contamination of any kind.

I am not sure what I should do to help these jars, they seem stunted & seem to have ceased colonizing.

I have the following theories:

#1. Oxygen flow is not good due to fine vermiculite & the jars are only getting oxygen in certain areas.

#2. The spores were not evenly distributed in the jars & some jars got more spores than others.

#3. Treasure Coast is just a slower colonizing strain that Gulf Coast.

#4. Treasure coast requires warmer temperatures than gulf coasst & I need to incubate the jars.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I primarily would like an opinion on the colonization rate for Treasure Coast as well as thoughts on the fine vermiculite.

I plan to set up an incubator for the jars & see if that helps. I already removed the tape from the top to help woth oxygen flow. What else should I do? If oxygen flow is the problem, is there anything I can do to save this crop?

All jars were created with PF Tek and great care was taken with sanitation.

Help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow Colonization: HELP! [Re: AllyKat]
    #3997281 - 03/31/05 07:42 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Just wanted to add...

This is the PF Tek I have always used when growing and the same Tek was used this time around:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_mmgg.shtml

I used a mixture of 2/3 Vermiculite 1/4 Water & 1/4 Brown Rice Flour as instructed in the Tek.

Invisiblelucky711x
Stranger
    #3997564 - 03/31/05 08:30 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

there's know telling what is causing slow colonization maybe it just doesnt feel like colonizing..lol

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow Colonization: HELP! [Re: lucky711x]
    #3999074 - 04/01/05 07:50 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Another question for you:
If only one side of a jar is colonizing, is it possible to colonize the entire jar?

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
    #3999080 - 04/01/05 07:54 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

yes it will just take longer than a jar that is colonizing from 4 points.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Slow Colonization: HELP! [Re: fallingaway24]
    #3999089 - 04/01/05 07:59 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

its the fine verm. fine verm will not allow good air exchange so the mycelium will grow slower.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinecyberthreat
Stranger

Re: Slow Colonization: HELP! [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3999101 - 04/01/05 08:05 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

yup i got the fine Verm for my first grow and they took a month and a half in a lab incubator got it off eBay and they took a month and a half the three out of 18 i did and i knocked them up in fron't of a flow hood

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow Colonization: HELP! [Re: cyberthreat]
    #3999308 - 04/01/05 08:58 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Yeah, I had a bad feeling about that vermiculite, I shouldn't have continued but I looked it up on the internet and it said that fine vermiculite would still work. Damn websight! (Not shroomery, another sight)

I plan on making an incubator tonight. Will it work to put a tupperwear container into a glass aquarium? Glass aquarium filled with water 3/4 up sides of tupperwear with fish heater secured in bottom. I plan to then cover the entire setup with black garbage bags.

Of my 14 treasure coast jars, 4 of them have no growth at all. I am assuming these are done for, but I will put them in the incubator & give them a chance anyway. The rest of them have growth on at least one side.

I'm never using fine vermiculite again.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #3999333 - 04/01/05 09:07 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

could be dried out substrate

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow Colonization: HELP! [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #3999387 - 04/01/05 09:19 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

If the substrate is dried out, is there anything I can do? & how can I tell if this is the problem?

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4002420 - 04/01/05 08:45 PM (19 years, 18 hours ago)

Update:

I have created an incubator in the following manner:

Filled 1 10 gallon tank with water & H202 (1/4 per gallon), put aquarium heater with thermostat in water, placed rubbermaid container into aquarium, not touching heater. Wrapped aquarium with foil to keep heat inside & keep jars dark & then covered everything with blankets. Thermometer currently reads 80 degrees for water temp, trying to get it a little higher.

The jars are inside ziploc bags that were sterilized with lysol & alcohol.

I will post pics when I can. Hopefully this will help with the colonization rate. I do think that they are colonizing, just very slowly.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4002434 - 04/01/05 08:48 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

putting the jars inside ziplock bags will cut off their oxygen supply thus halting their colonization u wanna take them out of the bags or at the very least make sure the bags stay nice and open (which makes them pointless if u ask me)

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4002438 - 04/01/05 08:49 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

oh and if the sustrate is dried out you can dunk the cakes but that might cause the uncolonized substrate to crumble away what i do to prevent my substrate from drying out is put some perlite in the incubator with water and h2o2

--------------------

Edited by lordoftheshroomz (04/01/05 08:49 PM)

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4002456 - 04/01/05 08:53 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

I will go remove them from the ziploc bags then. Is it alright if they sit on top of each other or should I try to avoid that?

Also wanted to add that I lightly shook each jar before placing it in the incubator. I read that this would help with air flow in another thread.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4002461 - 04/01/05 08:55 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

that is good for grain jars not pf tek jars (which if i think thats wut ure growing eh too lazy to look) dont stack them eithhercuz that might also block the air holes also the shaking prolly didnt hurt anything but i wouldnt do it again

--------------------

Edited by lordoftheshroomz (04/01/05 08:55 PM)

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4002515 - 04/01/05 09:06 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

I'm going to have to figure out some way to get them all in there without stacking them then...right now they are stacked, little other choice. I will have to sterilize a wire shelf or something.

& yes, they are rice jars & not grain jars.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4002525 - 04/01/05 09:08 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

yea then shaking them ive heard is not a good idea

--------------------

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4002539 - 04/01/05 09:11 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

I won't shake them again then. I was doing a search for slow colonization and someone mentioned shaking fine vermiculite jars to try and break up clumps of vermiculite without air flow.

Now I know. Won't happen again!

What do you think will happen to them from me shaking them?

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4002552 - 04/01/05 09:13 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

im not sure but it might damage the mycelium a bit

--------------------

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4002588 - 04/01/05 09:21 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

Will it hurt them to leave them stacked over night? They are not directly stacked, But they are on top of each other, in their wide open ziplock bags. I don't really have anything I can use as a shelf right now, I will have to go out tomorrow & get something.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck