Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image?
    #3998240 - 03/31/05 11:29 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

I wanted to get a small air cleaner to cut down on the dust and possible mold etc that is probably floating around my room right now. I was considering the small desk version of the ionic breeze model from sharper image. They claim that the unit contains a "UVC light" that kills all bacteria and mold. This is what they say on their site:
Quote:

What is ultraviolet germicidal irradiation?
All light is measured in wavelengths ? ranging from the invisible ultraviolet through the visible and up to infrared. Germicidal UV-C is at 254 nanometers and its photons have just the right wavelength to physically destroy the DNA of microorganisms. Ultraviolet germicidal protection is a safe, hospital tested technology that uses lamps resembling ordinary fluorescent tubes to generate UVC light to kill bacteria, mold spores and viruses. Microorganisms cannot develop immunity to UVC, and viruses are readily rendered noninfectious by UVC light.

Does anyone with some experience in this field know if these claims are true? Or, is there a better air cleaner I can get for $200 or less?

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #3998504 - 04/01/05 01:40 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Honestly commercial products seem like crap for myco production. Commerical / Business products seem like the way to go. For instance, a flow hood is necessary if you go into this hobby hardcore, and those are only either made from hand or purchased a preassembled product.

You can buy uv lights to clean the air before hand, but just a room cleaner seems like a waste of money.

Certain industrial products are much cheaper, like the simco aerostat xc for ionizing purposes. Flow hoods are all over ebay for $100-200 bucks. Just getting some hepa ionizing sharper image thing is only going to work so well. You want 100% clean air for these kind of projects and those filters are only so good for cleaning a entire room and don't give 100% results for a specific area.

And UV lights do kill everything living, that includes your skin cells and myco tissue, spores, etc. It causes cancer on the skin if exposed I learned today. The simple fact is that it will work well for the environment but you want something 100% for doing this kind of stuff.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Anonymous

Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3998543 - 04/01/05 01:56 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

if i where you ide make a laminar flowhood, but if your fixed on something store purchased i would get something that has a actual filter. i think ionizers are not a good route.

swim used one of the holmes large room air cleaners (round ones intended for 12x15 rooms) in a bleached closet with a air diverter worked perfect for him

Edited by mechmono (04/01/05 01:59 AM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3998917 - 04/01/05 06:13 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

That unit has no fan, so - it is slow & doesnt move volumes of air - fast. UV is good within very well contained protective limits. But, the strong ones are dangerious, as UV light exposure to skin & eyes causes CANCER.

I have used UV in metal air ducts on exhaust side of a hepa filter, feeding a positive pressure grow chamber, with great results. But, you better know what you are doing, if/when you install such things.

Ionozers like a Simco are kick ass for ONE THING & move large volumes of air. What doesnt stick to internal plates, is charged & sticks to room surfaces, where sanitizing agents can kill it.

If a working area is ALL HARD surfaces (like formica kitchen counter laminates & flooring). You can run a Simco, then spray hard surfaces with a effective sanatizing agent.

I run a Simco, plus large room size hepa, plus do clean work in a hepa flow/hood.

Contamination rate is NOMINAL.

But, it takes a tight & 100% hard surfaced room - to get there.

If you have roughed up stucco type ceiling, wall paper, cloth curtains or drapes, carpet on the floor, cloth covered chairs or anything like that in your clean room work area. They defeat all those things. As all are dormant spore mold & contamination magnets, that puff out that contam crap like a bellows, anytime you walk on/touch/sit/use them :mad2:.

--------------------

Edited by agar (04/01/05 06:30 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: ]
    #3999827 - 04/01/05 11:11 AM (19 years, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

mechmono said:
if i where you ide make a laminar flowhood, but if your fixed on something store purchased i would get something that has a actual filter. i think ionizers are not a good route.

swim used one of the holmes large room air cleaners (round ones intended for 12x15 rooms) in a bleached closet with a air diverter worked perfect for him

I like that alot :thumbup: Turns a whole room into a flow cabnent.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4001661 - 04/01/05 05:15 PM (19 years, 15 hours ago)

I am a simple small scale personal use grower. I grow in my bedroom and I am never going to achieve a completely sterile grow room by doing this. I try to be as sterile as I can by using disinfectants and keeping too many new contams from entering my room, but I am not trying to be professional about this at the moment. I just wanted to get an air cleaner to help contribute to creating a more sterile environment than the one I currently have (this is actually my first grow and I haven't had a contam yet). I looked into some HEPA type filters and they seem to be more in the price range of $400+. I just want something that I can use around my PMP to help reduce the contams floating around. I'm thinking maybe I could set my air pump right in front of the air cleaner so it will be taking in more sterile air to fill my chamber with. Considering the price and the fact that I wont ever have to replace expensive filters, the sharper image with the UVC light seems like a pretty good deal.

EDIT: This is the air cleaner I am looking at if anyone wants to take a look. Ionic Breeze GP Desktop

--------------------

Edited by PowerTrip (04/01/05 05:22 PM)

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#4001859 - 04/01/05 06:02 PM (19 years, 15 hours ago)

whatever if u have the money go for it I guess. You get a hepa home unit for less but whatever/.

--------------------

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: ]
    #4001865 - 04/01/05 06:05 PM (19 years, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

mechmono said:

do u mean diver?

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: agar]
    #4001924 - 04/01/05 06:23 PM (19 years, 14 hours ago)

agar told me all about the Simco Ionizers.

I just picked up a Simco off Ebay.

I offered the guy $20.00 plus shipping...and he took the offer.

They will probably have more up soon...look for Simco 4002612 Aerostat XC Ionizer
The seller is hammerheadtech

good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4001992 - 04/01/05 06:41 PM (19 years, 14 hours ago)

fuck sharper image.

this is what im rockin'.

http://surroundair.com/ionic-air-purifier.htm

and its one bad motherfucker.

its under 200 bucks right now.

its fucking excellent for what youre looking for. you wont be disappointed, in fact youll shit yourself with astonishment. 5 stage filter is carbon pre-filter, hepa filter, then a UV behind that, pin ionizer as opposed to plates, and an ozone generator. 3 flow settings and 3 ozone generator settings (including the option of running the unit without the ozone gen) both low, med, and high. also 3 timer settings with, of course, the option of continuous running.

nothing replaces a flowhood for certain apps, but for a general air purifier that is to run 24/7, i am yet to see anything better.

as for "expensive replacement filters", fuck what the commercials tell you. replacement filters arent all that much at all, not just for this model. this model is 32 dollars for a replacement filter, thats the carbon and the hepa. the filter lasts 1 or 2 years. i bought a top of the line nuclear facility grade hepa to make a flowhood with for prob half what they say home unit filter replacements cost. go to meijer or something and take a look at just how cheap shit really is.

ps-im not a paid salesperson, im just a happy customer.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #4002015 - 04/01/05 06:47 PM (19 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

ps-im not a paid salesperson, im just a happy customer.

lolzz

you should be a salesman...I'd buy one with that pitch!~

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#4002681 - 04/01/05 09:44 PM (19 years, 11 hours ago)

I read that ozone crap, sounded scary to build but I guess it works

--------------------

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4002809 - 04/01/05 10:15 PM (19 years, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

fuck sharper image.

this is what im rockin'.

Damn. That is looking pretty nice. Thanks for the info man. I'm going to read up on that one. How do you usually run yours as far as the settings?

--------------------

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#4002872 - 04/01/05 10:27 PM (19 years, 10 hours ago)

you can also just buy ozone units that cost about $70 used instead of building one, might be safer.

--------------------

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

#4003829 - 04/02/05 03:48 AM (19 years, 5 hours ago)

Agar and Road,

The Simco makes perfect sense for a cleanroom (I've been looking for one for some time after seeing agar post a pic a while back :wink:), but just as you said agar, it has to be HARD surfaces. 
For clean rooms, this is generally feasible.  It's pretty easy to EMPTY out a bathroom when needed or just keep one empty (as in my case)

However, what about for your general (carpeted) grow area?  What is the best choice of air purification to go with in that case?

The difference for most (especially apartment dwellers and renters) is that for a grow room (where you stalk your bulk tubs, PMP, Martha, Fridge, etc) is that it is often carpeted.

Then it would seem that an ionizer would NOT be the best way to go...like agar said you defeat your whole purpose with every step.

A HEPA always seemed like a carpet would be death for the filter.

What then would be the best way to clean the air in a carpeted room? 

thanks guys :thumbup:
mark

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: mushroommark]
    #4003929 - 04/02/05 04:55 AM (19 years, 4 hours ago)

it is always pref to have all hard non-porous surfaces. its also pref to have as much continuous open space in the room as possible. you know, like set everything up against the walls so that there arent obstructions of air flow when filtering.

however, i doubt this person would like to get rid of their bed, clothes, plastic their carpet/replace it with hard flooring, take down draperies and curtains, et cetera. it doesnt sound like theyre doing 40 agar plates + transfers or anything very sensitive. prob just 'nocing jars and using a pmp. not much more. maybe making syringes and stuff. i dont think they want much more than a good glovebox and a nice little filter. keep in mind they were considering a desktop version of an ionic breeze and is doing a pmp in a bedroom. they wont be putting their pmp in the bathroom, but i could see them setting up a glovebox in there from time to time.

i run the both the general filter and the ozone on high with no timer. the whole place smells like band-aids or the hospital or what have you. itll fit on the desk though its a little larger than the desk ionic breeze. capreting, clothing, cats, and shit like that arent the greatest for your hepa, but the prefilter helps a great deal. same principle as with a flowhood, use a prefilter or the life of the hepa drops dramatically.

OfflinePowerTrip
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4004594 - 04/02/05 11:07 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My bedroom actually has hard wood floors and not carpet so I'm somewhat better off in that respect. I was mostly curious about the ozone feature. Is ozone safe for the mushrooms? Is it bad for me to breath too much of it?

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4005366 - 04/02/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

the ozone is not so heavy as to cause damage to you or the mushies.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Which air cleaner should I get? Sharper image? [Re: mushroommark]
    #4005602 - 04/02/05 04:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If you can afford it. Go to HomeDepot, Lowes or any store like that. Look in linoleum section (floor covering). You can find pre/cut pieces of thin (but nice)linoleum in rolls size 8X10, 10X12 & so on.

Simply empty room, unroll & lay linoleum OVER THE CARPET. Tack down with large upolstery type tacks.  :thumbup:

Or, buy roll of 4 mil plastic (10X100) for around $20. Empty room, lay double or triple layer of plastic over carpet & tack down. Then - buy plastic carpet runner (about 3 ft wide in rolls) & tack down in areas that get heavy trafic. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4007034 - 04/02/05 11:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

good idea on the linoleum, thought of plastic but never this.--k

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom