Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineabaccusx
Shroomer

Small casings
    #3999557 - 04/01/05 11:57 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Just a few quick questions, (I've done several searches and nothing satisfactory has come up) also read: Casing 101

These questions may be able to be answered with a trial and error approach but I'm on my very first grow so don't wanna screw up!

1 - Assuming a standard 250mL PF-Cake (dunked and rolled) is allowed to fruit next to the equivalent substrate in a coir/verm casing - how does the yield compare??

2 - What size (inches*inches or cms*cms) container should be used to get the appropriate substrate depth per PF-Cake??

3 - Is a moist layer of verm on the bottom really necessary as i can't find a solid answer as everyone seems to have their own opinion??? From what i understood the casing layer is what provides the required moisture, not the bottom layer.

4 - Is lysol or alchohol sufficient to sterilise the casing container or should it be microwaved/pressure cooked - again this may have been answered but seems to be personal preference???

Thanks

Edited by abaccusx (04/01/05 12:00 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShroom_man
Stranger
Loc: Canada, New Brunswick
Re: Small casings [Re: abaccusx]
    #3999804 - 04/01/05 01:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I just did my first small casing. I pasteruized some straw, then put a thin layer of "Dry" Verm on the bottom of a tin bread pan. (The reason for the dry Verm on the bottom is to soak up the extra water, otherwise the bottom of your tray will rott). On top of that thin 1' layer of dry verm, I placed apx. 1.5' of pasterized straw, then I dumped on a 2' layer of colinized Rye grain (crumbuled cakes should work as well). I then put another 1.5' of pasterized straw on the top of the grain. Then I placed the pan in a lysol sprayed bread bag and tied it off. Lastly I pressed down on the layer of straw and grain (with the bread bag still on), and placed it in my incubator. I plan on Casing with a 50/50 mix of Vermiculite and coco coirl (sp).
I'll make a post about it if all goes well and works out.

--------------------
I have now aquired 5 differen't P. Cubensis varities.

--Cambodean-- (vendor checked out and is well knowen by many here and at other fourms)

--Mexi-Cub-- (Again Vendor is well knowen)
--Thiland Pink Bufflo-- (vendor is well knowen)
--Hawiian Strain
--Origional PF-tech strain

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation