Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

More evidence of cannabis-induced psychosis
    #3999159 - 04/01/05 10:23 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

More evidence of cannabis-induced psychosis
1 April, 2005
news.bbc.co.uk

Cannabis-based medicines can cause paranoia and anxiety in some people, a study has suggested.

Swiss researchers found two out of eight men given drugs containing THC, a chemical extracted from cannabis, developed psychotic effects.

The University of Lausanne team said the public needed to be aware cannabis medicine could have such side effects.

The possibility of using THC to treat multiple sclerosis and pain relief is currently being explored.

GW Pharmaceuticals, the firm granted a UK licence to develop cannabis-based drugs, said: "The levels of THC used in this study would not be used in our medicines.

"We, and everyone else in this field, are aware that THC can lead to psychosis."

'Great impact'

During the study, one man reacted to dronabinol, which is licensed for medical use in the US as it is a synthetic, and another to a liquid form of natural THC, the journal BMC Psychiatry reported.

Within hours of taking the drugs orally, both men started displaying psychotic symptoms. Neither had a history of psychiatric problems.

Report author Dr Bernard Favrat said the findings were surprising as the doses used were relatively mild.

"We were not expecting these results. The drugs had a great impact on the people and we have to recognise that drugs which are developed using THC have this risk.

"I am not saying we should not develop them, but just that we need to proceed with caution."

Young people

Other recent studies have linked the use of cannabis to mental health problems.

A study by New Zealand scientists, published in March, suggested smoking cannabis virtually doubled the risk of developing mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.

And in December US researchers warned young people that using cannabis led to an increased risk of psychosis later in life.

An MS drug containing 50% THC, which is being developed by GW Pharmaceuticals, is expected to come before regulators later this year. The firm is also developing other drugs containing THC for cancer and back pain.

A spokesman for the firm said the drugs would also contain agents which modify the effects of THC.

The charity DrugScope said that it did not want to see any cannabis-based medicines banned simply because of fears that they may produce side effects.

"There is strong evidence that cannabis can help to treat a range of conditions, and if they can we are in favour of them," it said.

Cliff Prior, chief executive of mental health charity Rethink, added: "This evidence confirms risk of mental health problems from cannabis.

"The Department of Health must act on our campaign for a major education programme, particularly aimed at young people, to inform people of the risks of cannabis."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: More evidence of cannabis-induced psychosis [Re: veggie]
    #4000013 - 04/01/05 01:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So 2 out of 8 people they feed a good dose or oral marijuana too have a "psychotic episode".

That is such bullshit.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: More evidence of cannabis-induced psychosis [Re: baraka]
    #4000735 - 04/01/05 03:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I hate how "paranoia" is equated with psychosis. Paranoia is not psychosis or if it is to the medical world it isnt to the real world. When people hear pyschosis they think mental hospital. Paranoia isnt going to put anyone into a mental institution. Everyone know pot makes people paranoid ex; "I'm Freakin' out man" How many times has a stoner said that. It goes away after the drug is removed however but of course they fail to mention that. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: More evidence of cannabis-induced psychosis [Re: veggie]
    #4000976 - 04/01/05 04:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"Psychotic episode" to them = Getting high.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: More evidence of cannabis-induced psychosis [Re: baraka]
    #4001108 - 04/01/05 05:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

They never said psychotic episode, they said psychotic symptoms, which is completely different.

And yes, some of the symptoms, like paranoia and auditory hallucinations are psychotic symptoms. The thing is, this study says nothing about long term effects, and makes no real links between marijuana use and schizophrenia. It's a bullshit study designed to have results that paint marijuana in a negative light.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service