Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGrizzy
Explorer of mindand matter

Loc: Bay Area, CA - USA
Anybody out there like me? a mix of politcal and cultural?
    #3996188 - 03/31/05 04:11 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

It seems to me that anytime I find a group of people that share my interests, the things in common disolve when I see the extreme nature of such group.

For instance - I am into hunting. The hunting groups are anti-drugs, and anti-LSD. BOO!!

I'm into LSD and mushrooms. But the hippie community is anti-hunting, and anti-fourwheeling. Plus, the hippie groups tend to be very liberal in sexual matters - naked in public, etc.

I'm pro-4wheeling, yet that group tends to have so many jerks that I end up hating them. Plus, they don't respect the earth like I do.

So - I'm stuck.

I'm a very conservative person by nature. I think we should be good people, and maintain a self-dicipline and respect for family values.

I think criminals should be punished and I have no love for them.
I don't think drugs should be a crime.

I believe most cops are not bad people but the ones that are should go straight to hell.

I believe in peace, but I believe that sometimes it is time to fight.

I'm like a mix of hippie/country-boy, open-minded, conservative, "anti-consumerism", pro-nature, anti-thug. Abortion is ok(and encouraged), as long as my tax dollars are not spent on a slut that won't tell her parents about it.

And I'm bigtime ANTI-AFFIRMATIVE action.

I'm cool with immigrants, as long as they embrace this country, do it legally, and want to BECOME americans.

It seems that ANY group, when taken to an extreme - just goes too far.
I try to balance the best of each. Yet, I have a hard time seeing others do so.

Am I alone?

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Anybody out there like me? a mix of politcal and cultural? [Re: Grizzy]
    #3996247 - 03/31/05 04:21 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

I think most people have a mixture of values, and don't stick directly into a stereotype.

What's your opinion on sexual matters though? I don't see any logical reason for anyone to be anti-gay or opposed to nudity and sex, and these days, that seems to be what "family values" implies.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
    #3996260 - 03/31/05 04:25 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

You sound like a Southerner, but you live in the Bay Area? Are you originally from there? Just a bit odd to me that you would live in San Fran and have those particular views. It's not a bad thing!! Just strange, is all. :tongue: :sun:

--------------------

:murray:

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3996371 - 03/31/05 04:47 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Grizzy said:
Abortion is ok(and encouraged), as long as my tax dollars are not spent on a slut that won't tell her parents about it.

There is a lot of ignorance there. Try and see things from the points of view of the pregnant girl and of the parents, in addition to your own as a taxpayer. The parents think abortion is wrong because they identify culturally with a group of people who value traditional gender roles which has as an implicit element marrying women off young. To the girl you easily label a slut, for her entire life she has probably felt stuck in a family with a moral code that is not her own. As a result, she likely had a few awkward sexual encounters which felt more real to her then the moral code her family blindly follows, and gets pregnant. Immeditely upon finding out she is pregnant, she gets an anxious feeling in the pit of her stomach that is constantly with her. She knows her parents reactions, because she has heard them espouse their puritan moral code. Each day, as she becomes more certain she is pregnant, she panics more and more and more. An under the radar abortion is the only resolution available to her that allows her to continue to draw support from her parents and not be forced to play host to a parasitic lump of cells in her body. When you use words like slut to describe girls in this situation, you are displaying increadible ignorance and closemindedness.

Do a little experiment. Imagine that you were a 17 year old girl, with a natural sex drive and idiot parents who go to a Falwell type church. Now imagine the sexual pressure builds up until you give in to sex with your boyfriend. Being so naive, you don't understand things like 'sex leads to reproduction' or 'safe sex'. Your body gradually starts to undergo changes you don't really understand, but you know your parents would not approve of. As your periods stop and your body starts to change, you gradually become aware you are pregnant and experience a lot of anxiety. You don't want to have this baby, because you have a different moral code then your parents. Over time you realize they have extreme views on this subject. You learn this from conversations you hear them have when watching the news, table talk, etc. This causes you to become increasingly anxious, and this anxiety causes more isolation, which leads to more obsessing over the situation, which leads to more anxiety, etc. Really put yourself in that situation.

What do you think about the asshole that says "I don't want my tax dollars going to pay for the abortions of sluts who don't tell their parents" when you are considering it from that frame?

Is that feeling you imagine yourself having in that situation more valid than 'I don't want my tax dollars going to pay for the abortions of sluts who don't want to tell their parents'? I think so.

What bugs me so much is it seems like your problem isn't that groups ostrasize each other for stupid shit like what drugs they like or what they do for fun, but just that you don't fit it right. You feel disconnected from each group because you are different from them. But you don't realize the big problem is that people divide each other into groups and then try and be in the included group. People do this all the time. Potheads say "at least I'm not using cocaine." and try and make pot use acceptable and push stigma onto cokeheads. Cokeheads say "at least it's not meth" and try and push the stigma to the methheads. The methheads say "imsohornyithinkineedtotakeapartthetvandputthetubeinthetoasterwhereisthesugarwoahwhatwas thatithinkillgooutsideheywhenicamebackthetvisbrokewhyistheciaruiningmytv andputtingthetubeinmytoaster" and blink at some wall for 3 hours. Anyway, the point is that you are demonstrating a flawed way of thinking about the stigma you experience. When you call women sluts derisevely, especially women in situations where their only crime is violating a gender role conservative assholes are trying to force on them, you perpetuate that same stigma you complain about your hunting buddies have towards acid. But it isn't that you are right about sluts but your hunting buddies are wrong about acid. It's that any attempt to use stigma to manipulate other peoples behavior is bad, even when you would do it to others.

Quote:

Am I alone?

No. I think realizing every one else is wrong about some of their viewpoints is one important step. But another important step is realizing that you, like them, are wrong in a lot of your views, and then begining a process of unlearning.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Edited by tomk (03/31/05 04:59 PM)

OfflineGrizzy
Explorer of mindand matter

Loc: Bay Area, CA - USA
Re: Anybody out there like me? a mix of politcal and cultural? [Re: blissedout]
    #3996387 - 03/31/05 04:48 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

My heart is in the south. Most folks around here really don't match my mentality on values.

As far as sex goes: I don't think being gay is the right way to live, and I prefer to not hang out with gay people, but at the same time I don't HATE, nor think that anyone should suffer for making such a choice. I just belive that I have a choice like they do to not hang out with them and I hope others can respect my choice for my family and my choice for my environment. Let them be gay, that's ok. Let them be. I just wouldn't invite them over to my house, that's all.

Free sex? I don't think public nudity is ok. I don't think it's ok to expose sex to children. I think it is disrespectful to others when people shove sex into their face.

Just like I wouldn't take a dead turkey that I shot and parade it around the street to offend anti-hunters, I think the same should go for others offending me. When I shoot a turkey, he goes into the back of the truck. When I come home, I make sure there are no children that see me take it from my truck and carry it in.

Bottom line above all things within me is LOVE and TRUTH and UNDERSTANDING. But I don't let these traits supercede what I feel is to be respectful. I always try and make everyone around me comfortable. If a person hanging out with me wants me to not hunt that weekend, I won't. Out of respect for their wishes.

You see, kids have so much going on, they don't need to be thinking about sex.

Do I have a right to raise my family the way I want to?
What if I don't want to talk to my kid about sex until he's 10 years old? If "free-sex" was ok, my boy would look at me after seeing at the age of 6 years old and ask "daddy, what/why?"

A 6 year old brain may not be able to fully comprehend the talk I'd like to have with him about it. Does that make sense?

So - that's why I'm against public sex. I don't think society should FORCE me to talk to the kids about sex at the age of 5, I want to wait until they are 10 or older...

Does that make me a bad person? I hope not. Because even if you guys disagree with everything I say and hate me for it, I don't hate you. I still have love for you, whether or not you line up with my standards.

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3996433 - 03/31/05 04:54 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Well you found a new budy cuz i was describesd yesterday as a hippyhick! I like the sound of it. My friends hunt i go with em cuz i dont own a fire arm. I fish drive gas gusseling trucks, work hard and trip harder. Plus you like pitbulls what hippyhick doesnt have a couple pitbulls?

i thought you were grizz, but any ways ur still cool in my book.

Edited by SHEIKofSHIITAKE (03/31/05 04:56 PM)

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3996556 - 03/31/05 05:18 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Grizzy said:

As far as sex goes: I don't think being gay is the right way to live, and I prefer to not hang out with gay people, but at the same time I don't HATE, nor think that anyone should suffer for making such a choice. I just belive that I have a choice like they do to not hang out with them and I hope others can respect my choice for my family and my choice for my environment. Let them be gay, that's ok. Let them be. I just wouldn't invite them over to my house, that's all.

I guarentee you you have friends who are gay and don't know it. These people, who really are your friends and you do hang out with, are at increased risk of suicide and depression and all sorts of mental illness because they hear their friends (i.e. people like you) say shit like "I just don't want to hang out with gay people. What you mean, I think, when you say you don't want to hang out with gay people is that you don't feel comfortable around people who display characteristics associated with being gay, i.e. you don't feel comfortable around guys who don't strictly follow the gender roles society lays out. You hang out with gay people all the time. At work, for fun, etc. You just don't know they are gay, because the anti-gay attitudes well meaning people like you contribute to prevent your friends from being honest with you.

Quote:

Bottom line above all things within me is LOVE and TRUTH and UNDERSTANDING. But I don't let these traits supercede what I feel is to be respectful. I always try and make everyone around me comfortable. If a person hanging out with me wants me to not hunt that weekend, I won't. Out of respect for their wishes.

If you were interested in truth, you would examine your own thinking for cases where being simplistic about something prevents you from having the truth, like stereotyping women who need abortions as sluts, or even thinking about it in madonna/whore terms. If you were interested in understanding, you would actively try and imagine situations from everyones viewpoint, realize that everyone involved is well meaning, and then see which of the myraid views is caused by logical fallacies or simplistic ways of viewing the world, and then adjust your own opinions accordingly. If you really did love, you would not have standards for others to live up to.

Quote:

A 6 year old brain may not be able to fully comprehend the talk I'd like to have with him about it. Does that make sense?

The only other thing I would add is that this seems like an empirical point (i.e. could be resolved by science), and a scientist not a hippy hick, is probably best qualified to see what a 6 year old brain can comprehend. You may very well be right on this point, I dunno, but it seems for all of us who don't know enough about the brain that suspending judgement is a better answer.

Quote:

Does that make me a bad person? I hope not. Because even if you guys disagree with everything I say and hate me for it, I don't hate you. I still have love for you, whether or not you line up with my standards.

No, it doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you a well meaning person who might have some preconceptions that are false or some cognitive processes that distance ones views from what is true. A person with a damaged sense of self might identify themself with those preconceptions that lead to the ideas that are wrong, and then view an attack on the ideas as a personal attack. But, you are not your thoughts, and an attack on your ideas isn't personal.

You can't love someone and have standards they have to live up to. That isn't love, that's a type of fear, read some krishnamurti.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Anybody out there like me? a mix of politcal and cultural? [Re: tomk]
    #3996658 - 03/31/05 05:34 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

tomk, you're the man.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3996759 - 03/31/05 05:51 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

What makes you think being gay is a choice people make?

Do you think you could choose to be attracted to men?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3996857 - 03/31/05 06:02 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Also...

Let them be gay, that's ok. Let them be. I just wouldn't invite them over to my house, that's all.

That doesn't seem to fit your apparent embracing of love and understanding. Try applying that kind of thinking to blacks.

"I have no problem with black people, I don't hate them, I just wouldn't invite one into my home."

Love and understanding are meaningless if you only apply them to people that you immediately feel comfortable with. There are all kinds of influences that can force us to feel apprehension or even bigotry towards others, even if it is completely undeserved. If you can recognize your own biases and overcome then, then THAT would be truly commendable.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom