Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ?
    #3996731 - 03/31/05 05:47 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

When he made those remarks on Crossfire?

I think they were going to cancel the show anyway, so they paid him to come in and do his little liberal bitchslapp routine to boost his show just to squeeze a little more money out of the by then "overmature" Crossfire program.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3996938 - 03/31/05 06:17 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Of course he just did it for publicity. I can't stand how he always hides behind the "my show is just comedy so i don't have to answer to anyone" bit. The irony of this comment in the midst of him railing the crossfire guys was just too much for me.

I loved the show with Kilborn, and Stewert was even good the first few years but now its like if they aren't ripping the shit out of americans, they've got nothing. This show was never supposed to be a political satire show and maybe thats why it went down the tubes. (I still think Steven Colbert and Lewis Black are fucking hilarious though).

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3997365 - 03/31/05 07:55 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

maybe thats why it went down the tubes.

You may not like it but the show has consistently high ratings and in fact reached record ratings after the presidential election.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3997428 - 03/31/05 08:04 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
This show was never supposed to be a political satire show and maybe thats why it went down the tubes. (I still think Steven Colbert and Lewis Black are fucking hilarious though).

I haven't watched his show for awhile. I think Stewart is very funny, even though I don't agree with his politics. Colbert and Black are fucking hilarious, I will agree with that.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3997470 - 03/31/05 08:12 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

has anyone read the book "America" by the Daily Show (pretty much). Seems mostly written by Colbert though. That book is hilarious, and also even laid out like a text book, exactly like a text book. Why are Republicans always quick to label something "liberal" even when it makes fun of EVERYTHING!
They railed on Kerry during and up to the election, they showed Howard Dean clips of him saying dumb shit. I think republicans are misanthropic by nature, which has robbed them of all their humor.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3997679 - 03/31/05 08:59 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
has anyone read the book "America" by the Daily Show (pretty much). Seems mostly written by Colbert though. That book is hilarious, and also even laid out like a text book, exactly like a text book. Why are Republicans always quick to label something "liberal" even when it makes fun of EVERYTHING!
They railed on Kerry during and up to the election, they showed Howard Dean clips of him saying dumb shit. I think republicans are misanthropic by nature, which has robbed them of all their humor.

One would have to be blind to not realize that the daily show has a liberal slant.

So anyways psilocyberin I've always wondered what blind people see while tripping, describe it please.  :tongue:

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Edited by d33p (03/31/05 09:27 PM)

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3997729 - 03/31/05 09:16 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Crossfire is still on the air

--------------------

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3997756 - 03/31/05 09:24 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

the "busting on" of parties went something like this

"hey, Kerry talked about Vietnam again, boy he sure mentions his service alot"

vs

"bush basically is totally complicit in9/11 and enjoys having american soldiers dying"

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: SoopaX]
    #3997911 - 03/31/05 10:07 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

SoopaX said:
the "busting on" of parties went something like this

"hey, Kerry talked about Vietnam again, boy he sure mentions his service alot"

vs

"bush basically is totally complicit in9/11 and enjoys having american soldiers dying"

WHAT???!! What show are you watching? I've seen him bash Bush on the environment, gay marriage, the war, Enron, and the countless "Bushisms" for which the president is famous, but never have I seen him saying anything about complicity in 9/11 or reveling in the deaths of American troops. Stewart's politics are obviously left of center, but he doesn't stoop that low. He is first and foremost a comedian, and his primary focus is pointing out things that are funny, which he succeeds brilliantly at. I've seen him make some great jabs at Kerry. Obviously he goes after Bush more often, but that is probably mostly due to the fact he's president. Stewart is great at using irony and humor to cut through the bullshit that politicians spew, which is why his show is better than most "real" news people get.

--------------------

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: Silversoul]
    #3997944 - 03/31/05 10:18 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

ex?ag?ger?ate Audio pronunciation of "exaggeration" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-zj-rt)
v. ex?ag?ger?at?ed, ex?ag?ger?at?ing, ex?ag?ger?ates
v. tr.

1. To represent as greater than is actually the case; overstate: exaggerate the size of the enemy force; exaggerated his own role in the episode.
2. To enlarge or increase to an abnormal degree: thick lenses that exaggerated the size of her eyes.

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: d33p]
    #3998218 - 03/31/05 11:25 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

ummmm.... ok, first of all, you have to admit, GWB is an easy target... he makes horrible blunders, stammers, he is great for the daily show. Kerry was made fun of almost as much as bush, but still came on the show, bush didnt because he knew there wouldnt be softballs lobbed at him.
Secondly, how can you sit there and point the "liberal slanting" finger at one cable show and not kill yourself for thinking Hannity, Limbaugh, and hell, anything on the Fox network, for having a blindinly, crippling case of conservative bias?

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3998460 - 04/01/05 01:07 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Hah, "who cares where you were for that Christmas" isn't a softball? No questions about his flip flopping? I almost expected a pilow to be presented for Stewart to kneel upon while fellating Kerry.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #3998541 - 04/01/05 01:54 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

John Stewart was on Crossfire?

When?

Tell me?

Ok... nevermind. I don't want you to be my monkey.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Loc: South Florida
    #3998827 - 04/01/05 04:32 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
One would have to be blind to not realize that the daily show has a liberal slant.

So anyways psilocyberin I've always wondered what blind people see while tripping, describe it please.  :tongue:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: Rose]
    #3999273 - 04/01/05 08:49 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

It happened back before the elections. I thought Crossfire went off the air shortly after. Did they bring it back, or did I just hallucinate that part?

I think TDS has a very obvious liberal slant, but I think it has more to do with there being a conservative administration in power. If Jimmy Carter were president right now I'm sure they would have more of a conservative slant.

I like John Stewart and TDS. I think it's one of the better shows on TV. To me it's slanted towards "common sense", but I have my doubts that the Crossfire event was not planned by people on both sides as a part of a purely economical plan. They thought it would put more money in their pockets so they did it.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: SoopaX]
    #3999315 - 04/01/05 09:02 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

SoopaX said:
No questions about his flip flopping?

"Are you, or have you ever been, a flip-flopper?"--Jon Stewart, in interview with Kerry

Irrelevant either way. The point he was making on Crossfire is that rather than debate the real issues like health care, foreign policy, etc., they waste their time debating the stupid garbage that the candidates feed them about their opponents.

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: Silversoul]
    #3999530 - 04/01/05 09:51 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Quote:

SoopaX said:
No questions about his flip flopping?

"Are you, or have you ever been, a flip-flopper?"--Jon Stewart, in interview with Kerry

Irrelevant either way. The point he was making on Crossfire is that rather than debate the real issues like health care, foreign policy, etc., they waste their time debating the stupid garbage that the candidates feed them about their opponents.

Not to mention the "flip-flop" meme was just a typical dirty campaign attack from Bush. Sort of like when he ran against McCain and the push polling garbage about McCain having fathered an illegitimate black child. (link)

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: unbeliever]
    #3999913 - 04/01/05 11:27 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

The fact that America chose Bush over McCain is proof that America is stupid.

Bush Vs. Gore was a tossup as to who was the better man, but we had the chance to have McCain as president and blew it.

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #4000269 - 04/01/05 12:33 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
The fact that America chose Bush over McCain is proof that America is stupid.

Bush Vs. Gore was a tossup as to who was the better man, but we had the chance to have McCain as president and blew it.

Prior to this past election I would have agreed. But the way in which McCain supported Bush and his campaign, despite his past experiences with them and despite disagreeing with a lot of his politics, that says to me: sell-out partisan hackery. I lost a lot of respect for McCain because of all that. Obviously his principles mean nothing to him in the face of pandering to his conservative constituancy.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4000353 - 04/01/05 12:47 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

I agree to a point.

John's Crossfire appearance was to PROMOTE The Daily Show... so what he did, served to promote... which served to make him money and add viewers.

But, those two guys on Crossfire were hit between the eyes by what John said, and the tech crew were having all types of trouble because John was ignoring the Crossfire sound F/X... you know... the sounds that tell you your time is up.

I don't think the Crossfire cast and crew knew what was coming, or they would have handled thigs MUCH smoother.

Either that, or they are ALL better actors than I thought.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblericochet
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: Rose]
    #4002148 - 04/01/05 07:32 PM (19 years, 21 hours ago)

for those interested, said video can be seen here:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200410160003

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4006016 - 04/02/05 06:25 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yeah i dont think comedy central was about to cancel one of its highest rated shows...stewart just has opinions and he voiced em.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do you really think John Stewart was "off the clock" ? [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4006534 - 04/02/05 08:36 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Crossfire, not TDS.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #4010173 - 04/03/05 08:36 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
ummmm.... ok, first of all, you have to admit, GWB is an easy target... he makes horrible blunders, stammers, he is great for the daily show. Kerry was made fun of almost as much as bush, but still came on the show, bush didnt because he knew there wouldnt be softballs lobbed at him.
Well the show is not about the 2005 election alone. Concerning the election i would say the jokes were aimed at the right about 60% of the time; however, normally the jokes are aimed about 80% at the right. The show is just obviously biased toward the left. Also bush isn't quite dumb enough to have gone on the show.
Secondly, how can you sit there and point the "liberal slanting" finger at one cable show and not kill yourself for thinking Hannity, Limbaugh, and hell, anything on the Fox network, for having a blindinly, crippling case of conservative bias?

Was this thread about any other cable show? No. So why did you choose to bring them up when they have yet to mentioned by me. Of course those shows are also biased. And if fox is a blindingly, crippling case of bias, then i don't think the english language could even describe the bias of the daily show.

Frankly i really like the daily the show and i watch it often because its funny, so dont think im trying to belittle the show or stewert for the bias. I dont give a fuck as long as its funny.

In all honestly i think Stewert is actually a closet republican because half the jokes he makes against the right are loaded or just all around incorrect which makes any liberal who laughs at them look retarded and uninformed.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #4011397 - 04/04/05 01:39 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

when the neocons call something liberal bias, they usually refer to it meaning 'they only report the bad (but factual still!) scandalous stories leaning to one side'........
Now when the liberals call something con bias, they usually refer to it meaning 'an aggressive, black PR, lie spewing machine".
Sure it was bad reporting and lying on Dan Rathers part.....but the story was still true even though the documents were fake.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom