Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War! march in new york
    #3994045 - 03/31/05 07:59 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2788

May 1, 2005:
No More Nuclear Excuses for War!

MASSIVE DEMONSTRATION - MARCH AND RALLY IN NYC...

*ABOLISH NUCLEAR WEAPONS
*U.S. OUT OF IRAQ - BRING THE TROOPS HOME NOW
*NO WARS ON IRAN AND NORTH KOREA

n August 1945, the United States incinerated the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with atomic bombs, initially killing more than 200,000 human beings, and starting a nuclear arms race that has held humanity hostage ever since. In the ensuing decades, enough nuclear weapons were produced to wipe out all life on this planet many times over. But people didn't remain silent in the face of this growing horror. An international movement for nuclear disarmament was born, ultimately forcing governments to sign treaties banning both the atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons and the spread of nuclear weapons to additional countries. This movement also was instrumental in bringing about a series of arms control treaties between the U.S. and the USSR/Russia.

But today, the risk of use of nuclear weapons is climbing towards levels not reached since the darkest days of the Cold War. Formerly the private domain of the "Big Five" (U.S., USSR/Russia, Britain, France, China), other countries are joining the list of nations with nuclear weapons capabilities. The proliferation of nuclear weapons endangers everyone
and must be opposed. However, global nuclear nonproliferation cannot succeed when those in the nuclear "club" cynically manipulate public fears of proliferation, while at the same time modernizing their own nuclear arsenals and threatening to use them.

The Bush Administration has declared a sweeping, open-ended policy of preventive war, in which "America will act against... emerging threats before they are fully formed" with a nuclear option. In the run up to the U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq, Bush told the American public that "we cannot wait for the final proof - the smoking gun - that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud." He didn't tell us that the mushroom cloud was more likely to emanate from the U.S. than from Iraq.

The Bush administration cowed many into supporting the invasion of Iraq with charges that Saddam Hussein was developing "weapons of mass destruction" - meaning nuclear weapons. The whole world now recognizes this fabrication as an attempt to justify a war to control access to Iraq's oil and enhance U.S. power in the Middle East. And as this war rages on, with mounting casualties, a country in ruins, and the poor in the U.S. facing drastic cuts in vital services, Washington is turning its sights on Iran and North Korea, seeking again to inflame public fears of a new nuclear threat. In the late 1990s, when both India and Pakistan went nuclear, the U.S. responded with condemnation, but it has turned a blind eye to Israel's sizable, sophisticated nuclear arsenal - described by The Economist as "the world's worst kept secret."

While it demands that other nations cease and desist, the U.S. will spend nearly $7 billion this year to maintain and modernize its nuclear warheads, keeping them useable for decades to come, and many billions more to operate and modernize their means of delivery. Altogether, the U.S. spends about $40 billion a year on its nuclear forces. Ten thousand
nuclear warheads - two thousand on hair-trigger alert - remain in the U.S. arsenal, each one many times more powerful than the atomic bombs dropped 60 year ago. Worse yet, the nuclear hawks in the Bush Administration are trying to sell the idea that it is acceptable to use nuclear weapons in the field of battle.

No one can deny that the world has seen many horrendous conflicts since 1945. Nonetheless, the international norm against the use of nuclear weapons has held firm. Now, the Bush Administration is flirting with breaching that "firewall". Once breached, it will be forever weakened.

If the most powerful country that has ever existed asserts the right to use nuclear weapons to ensure its security, we shouldn't be surprised to see other countries follow suit. As responsible global citizens, we must demand a more sustainable concept of universal security based on human and ecological needs. Nuclear weapons have no place in this new security
paradigm.

This May, world leaders and citizens from many countries will converge at the United Nations in New York City to discuss the fate of the endangered Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). While ignoring their own NPT disarmament obligations, the nuclear weapons states are selectively and hypocritically accusing other nations of seeking nuclear arms. Inspired by the aging "hibakusha" (the survivors of "hell on earth" in their cities), the Mayors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki have launched an Emergency Campaign to Ban Nuclear Weapons, enrolling Mayors around the world to come to New York to demand immediate negotiations to eliminate all nuclear weapons under strict and effective international control.

On Sunday, May 1, 2005, the day before the NPT Review Conference begins, United for Peace and Justice and Abolition Now! are calling for a massive demonstration for global nuclear disarmament, culminating in a rally in New York City's Central Park.

To end nuclear proliferation and to avert further "preventive" wars, we urge you to join us and help build the May 1st mobilization for immediate negotiations to ban all nuclear weapons - including our own.

As we mark the 60th anniversary of the first - and only - use of nuclear weapons in war, we must commit ourselves once more to the cause of nuclear disarmament. No less than our collective survival depends upon it.

We urge you to join us and help build the May 1st mobilization for a nuclear weapon free world.

Initiated by:
Abolition Now!
United for Peace and Justice

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE TO MAKE A CHANGE>>
  :heart:

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War!march in new york [Re: starptv23]
    #3994216 - 03/31/05 08:41 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Now, when they say to abolish nuclear weapons, do they mean for everyone, or just us? Cuz if we're gonna abolish them for everyone, then we've got a lot of wars ahead of us.

--------------------

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Re: May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War!march in new york [Re: Silversoul]
    #3994293 - 03/31/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

for every country that has the nuc...expeshaly the usa...why cant we all just get along without bombs...

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War!march in new york [Re: starptv23]
    #3994327 - 03/31/05 09:04 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

"MASSIVE DEMONSTRATION"

haha, thats funny, how do you know its going to be massive, do you have hella people signed up for the demonstration already?

i don't think people care much...

or maybe they do, but going to a demonstration is too much of a hassle for christ's sake! :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3994329 - 03/31/05 09:04 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

> why cant we all just get along without bombs...

Because you do not believe what I believe therefore you must die... pretty simple, really. (and stupid... *sigh*)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Re: May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War!march in new york [Re: Seuss]
    #3994430 - 03/31/05 09:30 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

thank you for your thoughts...i can see that you  have your head in your butts.. if you look at the link  in the first post... you will see that  a group called ---UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE ---is holding the march..-I am not the one that has set up the protest..I just believe in it...I was giving out info on one for people who care about there world and other people...IF YOU ARE AGAINST THAT WAY OF THINKING THAT IS FINE>>>JUST KEEP GOING ON WITH YOUR RIGHT WING BOX MIND set AND LET THE WORLD DIE FOR YOUR GREED ..I guess my point is that you dont have to post negivtave words with a possitive post...everyone has there own views on what should be going on in the world....I guess mine is not like yours...I just love my EARTH AND THE PEOPLE :heart: :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3994537 - 03/31/05 09:56 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

starptv23 said:
for every country that has the nuc...expeshaly the usa...why cant we all just get along without bombs...

It's precisely because we can't get along that we have these bombs in the first place. During the Cold War, the doctrine of mutually assured destruction probably saved us from war many times. The point of having nukes is to never have to use them.

--------------------

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Re: May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War!march in new york [Re: Silversoul]
    #3994655 - 03/31/05 10:19 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

if the point to have them and not use them then why even have them...the cold war saved who????
us???? i don't think so...come on we killed tons of innocent people that did nothing but try to live...the cold war was a joke...just like all war is...

all people pay the price when someone else's agenda (goverment-politions-terroists) comes into play...who really WINS????

--------------------

Edited by starptv23 (03/31/05 11:00 AM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3994900 - 03/31/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

starptv23 said:
if the point to have them and not use them then why even have them...

Because others have them. Ever hear of a thing called self-defense? Having nukes deters others from messing with us because they face the threat of annihilation. If no one else had nukes, I'd be all for nuclear disarmament, but the fact is that it's still a dangerous world out there.

Quote:

the cold war saved who????
us???? i don't think so...come on we killed tons of innocent people that did nothing but try to live...the cold war was a joke...just like all war is...

What a naive attitude. Sure, the Cold War turned hot in some places, but we avoided World War III against the Soviet Union through the doctrine of mutually assured destruction. If we didn't have nukes, they could've destroyed us.

Quote:

all people pay the price when someone else's agenda (goverment-politions-terroists) comes into play...who really WINS????

Naive idealists who don't know what they're talking about?

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: May 1, 2005: [Re: starptv23]
    #3994955 - 03/31/05 11:18 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

american prospect...

Quote:

But there?s also a limit to protest. With its emphasis on criticizing rather than building, it nurtures a narrow conception of opposition. Of course we need to criticize, especially with this administration in power. But for the long term, it?s far more important at this historical moment that we build. The left needs to think about long-term and broader ideas of change. Protest doesn?t help here; it?s too fleeting and spasmodic.

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #3995212 - 03/31/05 12:30 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

starptv23 said:
if the point to have them and not use them then why even have them...

If I never want to need to use the services of a doctor, what's the point of health insurance? If I never want to have to call the cops, what's the point of having cops? If I never want to get in a fight, what's the point of taking self-defense courses? If I never want to have to revive a person who's had a heart attack, what's the point of taking CPR courses? If I never want have to save my child from choking, what's the point of learning the Heimlich maneuver? If I never plan on having my house burglarized, what's the point of installing locks?

Now do you get it? The realities of life provide lessons to the wise to be prepared to handle the unpleasantries that may befall us and to decrease the chances of such things happening even if we do not want such things to happen.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War!march in new york [Re: Autonomous]
    #3995669 - 03/31/05 02:09 PM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Their here to stay until;

1) we get more powerful weapons.
2) the world finally rejoices in the climax of candyland, and all the carebears come out and put aside their differences, and embraces each other.
3) We all die off through the use of nuclear weapons.
4) Jesus/Allah/Santa comes and brings salvation to mankind.
5) A greater threat (real or fake) presents itself to the whole of mankind, thereby forcing cooperation, and ending coersive methods. ~aliens attacking the world, Asteroid set about to destroy mankind, something to the effect of decimating the entire world unless it works together.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Re: May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War!march in new york [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3998965 - 04/01/05 06:43 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

you do have your right to think the way you do and so do i...thank you for you points of veiws...i guess i might be niave to some ...but to myself I think i am trying to be real to what i think is the right thing for my earth and for peace...WE DONT NEED a weapon or weapons who kills many so we inccent lives ..so we can be a stronger nation..I mean come on we have weapons that not just 1000 people die or even 10000 it will be alot more then that...DONT you care that just the idea that goverment is playing with peoples lives like it was a game....America was built on lies and greed..when is it going to end??????

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3999366 - 04/01/05 09:15 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

.i guess i might be niave to some ...but to myself I think i am trying to be real to what i think is the right thing for my earth and for peace...WE DONT NEED a weapon or weapons who kills many so we inccent lives ..so we can be a stronger nation

Yes we do. Other nations have them, some of whom are rather hostile towards us. How do you propose we prepare ourselves for an attack by one of them?

Quote:

I mean come on we have weapons that not just 1000 people die or even 10000 it will be alot more then that.

And so do others. You know, it'd sure be nice to live in a world where nukes didn't exist, but if our enemies have them, I'm sure as hell not gonna let us give up ours.

Quote:

DONT you care that just the idea that goverment is playing with peoples lives like it was a game.

Oh, give me a fucking break! Cut the bullshit and act like you actually have something to contribute. Having nukes helps protect our lives from other nations that also have nukes. There's plenty of things government does that endanger our lives, but this isn't one of them.

Quote:

America was built on lies and greed

Still more meaningless rhetoric.

Quote:

when is it going to end??????

When people like you get their way and some enemy country takes advantage of our weakness by nuking us.

--------------------

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

#4000034 - 04/01/05 11:45 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

if that is the way you feel about the demonstration that is fine...that is what makes the usa great we get to speak are mind and have the choose to fight against something that I feel is wrong to the world and the people that live in it...No one wins when it comes to Nukes ...we all will die in the end...so who wins then...the last one to push a button or makes a dession for the rest of the world...

you have your way of thinking and i have mine...who is right??? we both are in our own minds....

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4000993 - 04/01/05 02:35 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

if that is the way you feel about the demonstration that is fine...that is what makes the usa great we get to speak are mind and have the choose to fight against something that I feel is wrong to the world and the people that live in it.

Yes, it's great that we can all speak our mind about our ideas. What's even greater is that this means I have a right to point out the stupidity of certain ideas like the ones you're advocating.

Quote:

No one wins when it comes to Nukes ...we all will die in the end...so who wins then...the last one to push a button or makes a dession for the rest of the world...

Could you please explain how we will benefit from getting rid of our nukes while our enemies still have them? It's one thing to wish nukes didn't exist, and quite another to disarm ourselves in a world where others who hate us and everything we stand for still have their nukes aimed at us.

Quote:

you have your way of thinking and i have mine...who is right??? we both are in our own minds....

There's a slight possibility that your position on this issue is valid, but your "way of thinking"(or not) leaves much to be desired.

--------------------

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

#4002021 - 04/01/05 06:48 PM (19 years, 20 hours ago)

for you at least...Iam sure many others feel diffrent...you are just to blind to see that peace, is better in the long run for all of man kind...

I guess in the long run you have the lord to save you from those nukes ....

peace to all ...and please save the world from those who take blindly without even thinking of the effect we have on our world and to our kids...

.not all feel like Paradigm...
I just hope humans will stop thinking that all people should be armed to be the biggest nation...this is not a pissing contest....it is lives and a whole lot more...

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4002128 - 04/01/05 07:25 PM (19 years, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

starptv23 said:
for you at least...Iam sure many others feel diffrent...you are just to blind to see that peace, is better in the long run for all of man kind...

I guess in the long run you have the lord to save you from those nukes ....

peace to all ...and please save the world from those who take blindly without even thinking of the effect we have on our world and to our kids...

.not all feel like Paradigm...
I just hope humans will stop thinking that all people should be armed to be the biggest nation...this is not a pissing contest....it is lives and a whole lot more...

not to be an asshole or anything... but can you show me a time in mankind's history where this "peace" has existed?

I've been looking for a while.... it's just a phase of pacification between wars from what I know of history.

Not that I disagree with you... but the thing is... peace is just another form of an unachievable ideal contrived by man... kind of like perfection.

We're vastly different from most animals in our abilities... yet we are very much the same... animals have wars, animals have aggression, provide an unlimited resource pool such that their is nothing to fight over, and sure, we'll have peace.

Bacteria in a petri dish grow exponentially until all the food is consumed (the medium that they subsist on is not important in this case)... afterwards, due to the limitations of the resource, it is all but impossible for them not to kill each other off even though they are all part of the same species striving for the same thing, because each one must consume what they need to survive... I dunno, I don't see this being all too different from the human problem.

Unless that is you can shift the conscious paradigm to the effect that humans only take sustance to the degree it's needed without excess... even then, resource limitations.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Re: May 1, 2005: No More Nuclear Excuses for War!march in new york [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4002616 - 04/01/05 09:27 PM (19 years, 18 hours ago)

i am tired of chasing my tail with you...i hope you have a great night and i know you will sleep well knowing we have the weapons...sleep tight dont let the nuke bight....

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4002628 - 04/01/05 09:30 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

starptv23 said:
i hope you have a great night and i know you will sleep well knowing we have the weapons

I will, actually. What would make me nervous is if we didn't have the weapons but our enemies still did.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale