Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

Loc: Nevada
Newby says hello with a few questions on birthing...
    #3992424 - 03/30/05 10:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've been lurking here for awhile whilst my jars are colonizing.  I've just birthed two of them and I have a few questions. 

What's a ball park average time for a cake just birthed to pin?

Also, all I have for lighting right now is a little mag-lite that runs on an AAA battery.  I'm using rechargables and the light lasts a good 10 hours before I need to swap batterys so I'm just going to stick with this if it works.  Do you think a little mag-lite like this puts out enough light for pinning?

One last question...  I have more jars that I can manage right now.  I thought the first batch was all dead because I didn't see any growth for like 2 weeks...  so I inoculated another batch with a different syringe from a different supplier and a few days later my first batch started showing growth! Needless to say, I have a bunch of jars now...  what is the best way to store these?  they're all pretty much 100% colonized.  Can I just keep them in the dark with the tape still on the holes until I'm ready for them? 

Thanks in advance and forgive me if I seem nieve, but I am.  This is my first try.  :evil: Learning a LOT of patience through all this.  Now that I've past the "I can't wait to see some mycelium growth" phase, and the "I can't wait until 100% colinization" phase...  I now find myself struggling in the "I really can't wait until I see my first pin!" phase!  Wish me luck!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Newby says hello with a few questions on birthing... [Re: kratomboy]
    #3992458 - 03/30/05 10:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

for the cakes to pin 2 weeks ballpark

the mag lite will work if you wanna replace the batteries , otherwise a nitelite or small flouro 12-16hrs a day till you see pins, after that drop it to around 6-8

once thier fully colonized you can throw them in the fridge and store them for a long time, or if you dont have a fridge you can leave them out in the dark at like 70 for a couple weeks until you can fruit

you sound like you got it under control , goodluck

InvisibleLuvWallyWorld
Slack-jawedgawker

Loc: Midwest
Re: Newby says hello with a few questions on birthing... [Re: kratomboy]
    #3992461 - 03/30/05 10:57 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

time to pinning: I'm familiar with B+ strain which is about a week (plus I prefer to wait till the jars are chomping at the bit to be birthed)

a mag light, or any other form of incandescent light is inappropriate for shrooms because the light produced is primarily in the red/orange spectrum. Shrooms respond to blue light like comes from a fluorescent bulb.

sorry I'm not advanced enough to tackle your last question.

--------------------

Edited by LuvWallyWorld (03/30/05 10:59 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation