Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Casing and Fruiting in the same container using PF Cakes
    #3992384 - 03/30/05 08:31 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

I have searched all over the forum and can only find conflicting information on this subject. I have my cakes about 85% colonized in a incubator. I was looking at the casing methods and I've seen a lot of folks case and fruit in the same chamber, usually a clear, large Rubbermaid container. I was hoping that someone here could recommend the best casing method for using this method.

If I case and fruit directly into a large Rubbermaid container I was under the impression that the humidification comes directly from the casing, not an outside source. Is this true or is misting still recommended?

I am also thinking that I can use my current incubator to provide the heat source for the container. I am using the incubator listed on fungifun.org and it's working great. I figured that I could use the same heating source for the casing/fruiting chamber. What do you guys think?

I really have done a lot of searching on this forum and cannot find a consistent answer. I want to thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
Re: Casing and Fruiting in the same container using PF Cakes [Re: Wronguy]
    #3992401 - 03/30/05 08:36 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

1. of course you case and fruit in the same container. You case when you are getting ready to fruit. Maybe i dont understand the ? on this one.

2.Even with casing you still need a high humidity or the water will just evaporate from your casing. IE misting or humidifier.

3. 70-78 degrees (root temp in my house by far) is great for fuiting so no heating source necessary

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing and Fruiting in the same container using PF Cakes [Re: goofy98]
    #3992410 - 03/30/05 08:39 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

I appreciate the response. Most of the methods I've seen require you to case in a separate container and then place that container inside a terrarium. I don't want to do that.

As far as the temps go, my house is only around 70 degrees so maybe it'll work. I suppose that the temps may be slightly higher in the container.

So when I case in a Rubbermaid container, just as an example, I follow the directions for the casing mix, lay a layer of dry vermiculite on the bottom of the container, place my crumbled cakes on top of the vermiculite, then place my casing mixture on top of that. Is that correct?

Edited by augustin7 (03/30/05 08:47 PM)

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
    #3992452 - 03/30/05 08:54 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

i dont like laying a bottom layer down first because the myc will waste energy colonizing it and then its useless for drainage purposes( which arent really necessary anyways). If you must have a botom layer used sterilized perlite myc wont go there.
Place colonized crumbled cake in container and case with preffered sterilized casing mixture (with proper water content). Check regularly for the first signs of myc showing through the casing layer then patch and fruit.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing and Fruiting in the same container using PF Cakes [Re: goofy98]
    #3992474 - 03/30/05 09:00 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Thanks for the reply again. I really do appreciate it. No bottom layer required, sounds good. I suppose I could use sterilized perlite (without added water I assume) and drill a small drain hole. So my first layer is the crumbled cakes, then the casing mixture right? I'll mist 2-3 times a day and fan 2 times a day for CO2. Is that right?

You guys rule.

Edited by augustin7 (03/30/05 09:06 PM)

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
    #3992622 - 03/30/05 09:28 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Around Thanksgiving my mom bought these aluminum turkey baking trays just like many people use for casings, but these came with these cool transparent lids that were about as deep as the trays themselves, that snap on the top of the tray so that you don't have to transfer left-overs to a different container. I wasn't growing at the time, and didn't think about the possibilities of this. But I think I saw someone else use these and they worked for them.

It's a pretty good idea..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder