Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Safe to take with certain medicine?
    #3992122 - 03/30/05 09:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hey, this is an awsome site, It has gotten me intrested in magic mushrooms. But My question is, Am I able to use them?

Heres the problem, I currently take Lexipro (which is an anti-depressant) that I take because I have a mild case of GAD "General Anxiety Disorder". Basically if I dont take my medicine for awhile i become slightly nervous in public areas. Also my mom has a very mild case of Schitsophrenia (not sure about spelling).

So my question is, would Shrooms affect me permanently at all if I were to take them?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepink_buffalo
deranged
Re: Safe to take with certain medicine? [Re: CuI210us]
    #3992141 - 03/30/05 09:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

schitsophrenia in the family and shrooms or acid dont really mix i wouldnt try it ive herd of storys where schitsophrenia is triggerd by mushrooms/acid in people that have relitives with it in the family

--------------------
death, its a one and a life time experence ill be ready will you?

Offlinepink_buffalo
deranged
Re: Safe to take with certain medicine? [Re: pink_buffalo]
    #3992317 - 03/30/05 10:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

im no doctor, u shud ask urs tho

--------------------
death, its a one and a life time experence ill be ready will you?

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #3992338 - 03/30/05 10:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If schizophrenia is in your family, you would be well advised to think long and hard before using psychedelics. There is no guarantee that they will do you any harm, but they have been known to bring dormant mental disorders to the surface. They won't create schizophrenia, but if your family has a history of it, they could bring it out in you. Also, Lexapro is an SSRI, and will drastically reduce the effects of the mushrooms. If you want to use mushrooms safely and to effect, you should discontinue using Lexapro for around two weeks before tripping.

Personally, I hate SSRI's, and so I'd recommend asking your doc. about going on a different anti-anxiety agent.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: Safe to take with certain medicine? [Re: dblaney]
    #3992369 - 03/30/05 10:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

But the thing is, Im afraid if I stop taking it for 2 weeks I will probably end up with a really bad trip because I have GAD. What does SSRI stand for and whats the difference between that and other anti depressants?

And also, does anyone know the percentage of people that have a family history of schizophrenia that have become schizophrenic after using shrooms?

--------------------
The statement below is true
The statement above is false

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #3992378 - 03/30/05 10:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

SSRI means Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, it's a class of anti-depressants including Lexapro, Prozac, Effexor, etc. Without going too in depth, it works by increasing the amount of serotonin available to your brain, the theory being that more serotonin = more :smile::). Other anti-depressants work on other neurotransmitters.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
Re: Safe to take with certain medicine? [Re: dblaney]
    #3993273 - 03/31/05 02:11 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

the percentage of people that have a family history of schizophrenia
that become schizophrenic after using shrooms is about the same
as the percentage who become schizophrenic after not using
shrooms.

Really, I read this somewhere. Too bad there isn't a lot of research to back it up.

If you really want to know, ask an expert.

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: Safe to take with certain medicine? [Re: BloodNOil]
    #3993982 - 03/31/05 09:38 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well...People dont seem to get it do they?????

They Swear By Erowid... But they seem to miss the part where erowid says on any PSYCHOACTIVE VAULT that they DO NOT MIX with people taking psychiatrich medicines NOT BECAUSE OF THE MEDICINE BUT BECAUSE OF THE CONDITION!!!!

If ones brain is chemically imbalanced it is not so wise to try throwing of the balance more...

It is a common phenomenon here in shroomery people coming and aksing about taking psychedelics while on psychiatric medication and noone seems to mind...Well,i guess either 90% of the people in the states receive this kinds of medication ,or these questions have appeared so many times the members of the shroomery are dissensitized...

Offlinemikeyboy
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: Safe to take with certain medicine? [Re: Psiloman]
    #3994336 - 03/31/05 11:07 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting post...

Im 19 and my dad is a Scizhophrenic, i've shroomed many times.
I've researched the figures and even spoken to my mum about it.

It can't "give" you the condition but can "trigger" it if you have it allready.

If it is in the family you have 10x more chance of getting it so roughly 10% chance (1 in a 100 i read somehwere if not in family)

Take all this as my view and not gospel.

Hope this is some help to you mate as your in a similar situation to me

--------------------
LSD: Defrag for the brain

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3994361 - 03/31/05 11:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If one is taking anti-psychotics such as prozac anmd similar drugs, or even lithium, they should not do shrooms or acid.

Medical people believe psychedelics mimic psychosis and that people on psychedelic drugs see what people who are crazy see and here.

It only mimics those reactions. A crazy person acting crazy is crazy and sees and heres things athat are not there.

A person on acid acts crazy and does crazy things but he himself is ot crazy. There is a difference and I think the shrinks are stupid onthe subject, unless they take them theriselves with their patiens.

Weil, McKenna, Metzner, Leary, Krippner, etc, all took the drugs they gave to subjects they worked with and did the drugs with those people. Not like some who administer a drugt to a psychotic person. You do not see doctors taking these anti-depressant pills or anti-psychotic medications. Yes they love to recommend them to patients but they would never take them teirselves.

mj

They have only assumed that when some one does acid, he sees what a crazyu person who has taken nothing sees. What stupid shrink logic is that?

mj

Again I personally do not recommend taking any psychedelic drugs if one is taking pills of that nature.

mj

Oh Yes I have seen violent reactions with self abuse by people who took lithium and lsd and lithium and mushrooms. So I would not recommend anyone taking those kinda medications with a hallucinogenic drug.

OfflineCuI210us
Experimentalist
Re: Safe to take with certain medicine? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3997227 - 03/31/05 09:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, so I have a 10% chance to become Schizophrenic. If I take shrooms, how much more of a chance will I have of becoming Schizophrenic?

Also, what would happen if I smoked weed while on an anti-Depressant like Lexapro? Would it be safe?

--------------------
The statement below is true
The statement above is false

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience