Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinei_rage_against
Mwaa ha ha
Female User Gallery

Loc: a shithole in the northwe...
Is my computer in trouble?
    #3989944 - 03/30/05 01:48 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not to grand with computers (although I'm trying to learn). But yesterday a friend of mine sent me an instant message through Yahoo! messenger. Well I thought it was my friends turns out that my friend was "owned" (whatever that means) So it wasn't really my friend it was a hacker? I'm just kinda guessing on this one. Well once I found out it wasn't who I thought it was I turned off my computer and my modem. Am I safe? I ran some virus/spyware scans and they didn't come up with much, but I'm still feeling a little creeped out. Should I do something more? Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

--------------------
whoever told you that is your enemy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Is my computer in trouble? [Re: i_rage_against]
    #3990481 - 03/30/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"Owned" is some nerdy-ass computer lingo that geeks use FAR too much. Can you explain this a little bit further? His screenname said owned, or someone owned him?

Just make sure you run things like adaware every week for general browsing reasons, keep pretty much ANY antivirus program running, and get a free firewall like zone alarm and you'll be safe. Unless some nerd has way too much time on his hands, changes are that you'll never get personally targeted. A "hacker" is usually some nerdy teenager who downloads scripts off of warez sites and tries to use them on people, they're just morons using other peoples malicious codes. They'll threaten you cause they're a moron. If someone's actually pissed at you, like to the point where they'd attack or kill you in real life then that's when they might take the time to try damaging your computer by actually finding a vulnerability and putting a virus on it.

So all in all, with an antivirus and firewall you're safe bro. Unless someone's extremely smart and even more angered with you, you can consider yourself safe. Heck, knowing what I know about computers I never even bothered to use a firewall for a year and I never had an issue. My router has a hardware firewall built in and that was good enough for a year of solid browsing and I have a highspeed connection as well.

If you have any more concerns that are a little more personal you can always post again or send me a pm. I usually glance really quickly to see if I have some, but chances are if you do send one I'll get back to ya really quickly.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Is my computer in trouble? [Re: browndustin]
    #3991476 - 03/30/05 06:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

A "hacker" is usually some nerdy teenager who downloads scripts off of warez sites and tries to use them on people, they're just morons using other peoples malicious codes.

a script kiddie is as you describe.

Hackers don't give a fuck about just anyones computer and they'll never fuck with you if you don't fuck with them, unless you have something they want (and most people don't). they usually write there own scripts and attack bigger targets than some random persons pc.

script kiddies are numerous and fuck with random people just to try out some exploits they just found, having a firewall is always a good idea.

Quote:

Heck, knowing what I know about computers I never even bothered to use a firewall for a year

must not be very much then :tongue:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology