Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Ahistorical
    #3989868 - 03/30/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The past is active and alive only insofar as it has re-created the person, and has been digested into the present person.

It is not or should not be something other than the person, something alien to it. It has now become the person or present experience [and has lost its own identity as something different and other], just as past steaks that I have eaten are now me, not steaks.

The digested past [assimilated by intussusception] is different from the undigested past. It is ahistorical.

How may being aware of this, help when presented with a situation, problem or matter-at-hand?

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Ahistorical [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3989960 - 03/30/05 01:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting question. I'll give a shot an an answer. If you are looking to understand yourself and what you are and are made of here in the present, it would seem to understand it best, you have to go back and look at what ingredients went into making and cooking up, the NOW you. The digested steak has become a part of making you. You used it to nourish you. So understanding the steak in its Ahistoric make up, pre digested can help you to understand how it nourished you and what its benefits and draw backs were.

You can learn that you have healthy and strong muscle tissue it's proteins/amino acids helped to build, and learn that it was full of cholesterol that may also explain the clogs in your arteries. The past can help to explain how the present came to be when the present holds mysteries.

Take it fast forward. The future can also teach us much about who and what we are int he present now. Our wants and visions and concerns for the future tell us much about our present state of being. I think that is self explanatory. One example would be if your vision for the future is one of economic depression. You are concerned of not being cared for in it and want to insure your economic security.

This can reveal a lot about your present state of being. To even have that vision of the future, would show that you are experiencing a pre- depression, a pre sense of not being able to care for yourself and your wanting a sense of more self assurance.

With this knowledge, you can make changes in the now to become a more self assured person, there by altering the vision, the wants and concerns and with those alter the future itself for the better.

I don't see how we can separate who we are today from our pasts and futures. That is what makes them not only a part of our now present but they are what make the now present what it even is. In other words, the now is the product of the past and future. I think they are all inseparable, yet changeable.

Just my shot at answering your question.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (03/30/05 02:08 PM)

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Ahistorical [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3990271 - 03/30/05 02:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It has been a point of introspection lately, to observe my personal approach towards self-therapy, including other individual?s methods as well, although to a lesser degree. It is the general premise of this topic that has arisen in such reflections, and the primary point that comes up is, quite simply: ?Insight vs. Recognition?. Before I go on, allow me to clarify that I am not necessarily contending the two modalities of introspection and approach; it is more so an illustrative contrast between the two.
Within each of those two modalities, there are expansive subsets of certain components. For instance, Insight leads to receptivity? or vice versa, and etc., whereas Recognition leads to projection, or vice versa, and so on.

When it comes to viewing a present problem, is it not the best approach to give it all you?ve got, to study it and it?s nature, to perceive within it the intrinsic interrelationships, to discover [rather than to invent (again, insight vs. recognition)] the answer to the problem within the problem itself? This is also the best way to look at a painting or to listen to someone, particularly someone such as yourself. [The observing ego is necessary for self-therapy, after all.]

The other way is merely a matter of shuffling over past experiences, past habits, past knowledge to find out in what respects this current situation is similar to some situation in the past, i.e., to classify it, and then to use now the solution that once worked for the similar problem in the past. This can be likened to the work of a filing-clerk. And it works well enough to the extent that the present is like the past.

But obviously it doesn?t work in so far as the matter-in-hand is different from the past. The file-clerk approach fails then. This person confronting an unknown painting hurriedly runs back through his knowledge of art history to remember how he is supposed to react. Meanwhile of course he is hardly looking at the painting. All he needs is the name or the style or the content to enable him to do his quick calculations. He then enjoys it if he is supposed to, and doesn?t if he is not supposed to.

Think how often in a conversation we put on a listening face as the other person talks, secretly however preparing what we are going to say, rehearsing, planning a counterattack perhaps. Think how different your attitude would be right now if you knew you were to comment on my remarks in five minutes. Think how hard it would be then, to be a good, total listener.

Now to bring the point closer home, apply this point to ourselves in self-therapy ? or even just being with ourselves in the casual manner. Are we looking at our present situations through the lenses of the imaginary-past, neurotically pulling out old files from out-dated archives of psychological filing-cabinets? Or are we viewing ourselves with the sincerity and receptive-attention that we would give to a painting in an art-museum?
In what modes of existence are the two modalities rooted in?

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3990300 - 03/30/05 03:01 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting thoughts! Where you have either ors, I am prone to applying an admixture of both but not always. It really just depends on the intensity of my interest at the moment and how deep, mid way  or shallow I want to experience something.

Nice you gave references for the many ways one can and does, reflect and recog. I think there is a neat relationship to be experienced between the two once a bridge is built. It is sort of like taking the two sided coin and spinning it to become a sphere. :wink:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3990310 - 03/30/05 03:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You still continue to amaze me. :shocked:

It seems as if you have "nailed the nail on the head". :lol: :wink:

I'll reply with actual content later... by the way... MSN is now up-and-running. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: