Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
QUASI-INVITRO CAKES FOR SANITARY PRINTS:
    #3988862 - 03/30/05 02:10 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

NOTE - This method assumes you can, have or will someday produce PF style cakes & want to make prints.

Are you worried the prints you plan to make someday might end up dirty?

Not a new or perfect method. But, it minimizes cap exposure to airborne contamination.

If you have a gallon size glass jar w/lid around. (if need be - buy gallon glass jar of pickles & eat pickles :grin:)

Have a cake ready to birth.

Drill four ? inch holes through gallon jar lid (near edge) & sanitize both jar & lid..

Insert polyfil wad into lid holes - for air/gas exchange filter.

Place a  spacer (meaning something hollow & round that will elevate cake off lid ? inch - like cut PVC pipe, cut soda can (scissors will cut soda can) - or whatever) on inverted sanitized lid.

Mist distilled water (with a little H202 in it) into gallon jar - until inside glistens - but doesn?t drip a lot..

Birth cake on spacer, on lid.

Lower gallon jar onto lid - spacer - cake & screw on firmly.

Gently move & place jar on mesh or wire grate (anything that will elevate ? inch off flat surface - (to allow for gas/air exchange - via polyfil in lid), situate jar where temp is 74/75F area & gets NO direct sunlight (direct sunlight will over heat jar).

If internal RH gets or appears very low.

Raise jar, remove one polyfil wad, spray a burst or two of distilled water up into jar & replace polyfil wad.

Once in awhile, loosen one polyfil wad, to allow more gas exchange. 02 is heavy & will flow out.

Allow cake to fruit.

Once fruiting & veils break?. Prepare printing containers & whatever you lay print on (foil - whatever).

Move sanitized  printing container, foil  & jar into sanitized glove box (or - sanitized bathroom counter)..

Unscrew lid, raise & remove jar off cake.

Sever caps, lay on foil, cover with print container.

You know the rest (I hope).

agar is lit & off to bed.

--------------------

Edited by agar (03/30/05 02:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: QUASI-INVITRO CAKES FOR SANITARY PRINTS: [Re: agar]
    #3988925 - 03/30/05 02:51 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

I've been thinking alot about this same thing for about a year. My idea was going to be to make a quart with only 1"-1 1/2" grain and fruit it in the jar.

I like your idea.

Spores are the "seeds" of the mushrooms. Have to have PLENTY of fresh clean spore prints around.
Alot of us don't own a flowhood, so this sounds like the best way to do it.

I need to get some gallon jars (damn those things are impossible to find in quanity localy :mad2:)

Time to buy some pickles :wink:

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: QUASI-INVITRO CAKES FOR SANITARY PRINTS: [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #3989009 - 03/30/05 04:01 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

If anyone has a good source of gallon jars that are autoclaveable please share.  Like to avoid the pickle jars, if at all possible.

Local or online....either would work fine.  I've been keeping an eye out for them for some time and have never seen them thanks

mushymark

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack...it just spiked my interest for a moment there.  Feel free to shoot me a PM. Like always, agar, CLEVER.  "toilet flush simple" :lol:  :wink:

Edited by mushroommark (03/30/05 04:07 AM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: QUASI-INVITRO CAKES FOR SANITARY PRINTS: [Re: mushroommark]
    #3989014 - 03/30/05 04:17 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

ON-LINE.......HERE

After you add shipping costs, price is about the same as gallon jars FULL of big dill pickles, from bulk grocery (think CostCo - Smart & Final et al). Gallon glass pickle jars & lids will autoclave.

Then you get all those FREE PICKLES. :rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: QUASI-INVITRO CAKES FOR SANITARY PRINTS: [Re: agar]
    #3989497 - 03/30/05 09:24 AM (19 years, 2 days ago)

Ball makes half gallon jugs...someone posted a link before where you can buy quarts and all sized jars...with shipping of course prices arent great but you get actual caning jars.

Of course myself, big fan of pickles...and CostCo.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom