Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineneoclimber
InformationJunky
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago/Nashville
Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try?
    #3971837 - 03/26/05 09:16 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

I looked all in the archives for any mention of possibly using canned corn kernals ("no salt added" contains only corn and water). I would think the moisture content would be perfect if I just drained good and PC like normal with tyvek. Maybe it would colonize much faster. I might not even need to mix verm in with it but still casing it would probably be a good idea. Of course bulk would be out of the question due to price. Anyone tryed/heard of using this? I am going to experiment a little tonight with this but I would like to know what you all think.

--------------------
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Raoul Duke

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit." - Dr. Gonzo

Hunter S. Thompson 1937-2005
Rest in peace brother.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: neoclimber]
    #3971859 - 03/26/05 09:32 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

never heard of it either but i think it would have problems with air exchange. i would bet it not to work.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineMeatSpace
Waxer of unicorn butthole
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep inside your ass
Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3971918 - 03/26/05 09:53 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

wouldn't the nutrients be soaked out?

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: neoclimber]
    #3971929 - 03/26/05 09:59 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

:thumbdown: not suitable as substrate

--------------------

OfflineMeatSpace
Waxer of unicorn butthole
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep inside your ass
Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: agar]
    #3971942 - 03/26/05 10:08 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

fresh popping corn from the health food store :thumbup:

If you do a search, you'll find what you're looking for (9 times outta 10)

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

Invisiblehammer_head
Stranger

Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: MeatSpace]
    #3972002 - 03/26/05 10:33 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

its a good idea ghandi....try some of my mahatma brown rice.

GHANDI! LOL has his own rice! a very suitable substrate for beginners and professional alike!

thank you

Offlineneoclimber
InformationJunky
Male User Gallery

Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: MeatSpace]
    #3979651 - 03/28/05 09:36 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Good to know ahead of time, thanks agar. So I know for future experiments, what makes it's no good for substrate?

--------------------
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Raoul Duke

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit." - Dr. Gonzo

Rest in peace brother.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3979718 - 03/28/05 10:03 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

high sodium content in canned corn

OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3980957 - 03/28/05 04:25 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

Possibility of antifungal agents and preservatives.

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Offlineneoclimber
InformationJunky
Male User Gallery

Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3981003 - 03/28/05 04:43 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

I got the kind that doesnt have high sodium. "no salt added" The "Ingredients: Corn and Water." No salt or anything and as far as anti-fungal etc, canned corn is made the same way we use a Pressure cooker/canner. Thats why they call it a pressure "canner". Thats why you get a vaccuum-releasing sound when you puncture the can with a can opener. I know for a fact that it doesnt have anti-stuff and it has a very low sodium level, so other than those, what makes it bad for substrate use?

--------------------

Rest in peace brother.

Offlinebounceproof
freefaller

Loc: Florida
    #3981030 - 03/28/05 04:50 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

why don't you just try it. :shrug:. Let us know how it goes

--------------------
<one foot over the edge and i think i like it>

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3981582 - 03/28/05 07:20 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

Certainly, you could use salt free cooked canned corn as a substrate (it is pasteurized - after all). But, in my humble opinion - it would not make a very effective, or productive one.

Rye & WBS work as a substrate. But, they also has significant limitations.

OPTIMAL SUBSTRATE..... should have the form & texture of humus (loam like SPONGY airy mixed organic texture), as well as provide a wide range of essential nutrients.

The limitation of WBS, rye or corn as a substrate is, once it colonizes 100%, it essentially becomes a hard / firm / semi-solid mass of grain & mycelium.

A solid mass of colonized grains only contains so much moisture. That colonized mass doesn't rehydrate well, or quickly. Mushroom fruit bodies are about 90% moisture (water). In order for them to thrive, besides nutrients, they must have an adequate moisture resource to draw from. Without one, they are restrained far below their optimal growth & fruit size perimeters.

I am not discrediting any grain substrate. They will function, but in my opinion - not in an optimal way.

Something - I wrote in a different life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psilocybe Cubensis are habitat specific. Meaning, they cannot grow in the wild, unless their habitat provides a suitable environment, along with sufficient natural nutrients. Over the millennia, they have evolved inherent genetic traits best suited for their continuous survival in specific geographic area's they successfully inhabit.

All fungi feed by absorption of nutrients. Because of the huge range of potential nutrient sources, fungi evolved enzymes suitable for the specific environments in which they are generally found. The range of enzymes, though wide in may species, is not sufficient for survival in all environments.

Psilocybe Cubensis excrete a complex array of genetically predetermined enzymes for digestion. The enzymes are present in multiple forms, based on a single inherent genetic sequence, and include a range of isoenzymes, which arise from different inherent genetic sequences.

Simply stated, Psilocybe Cubensis excrete enzymes into the organic material in which their underground mycelia (root) system naturally grow. Those enzymes degrade nutrients there, into simple soluble forms of sugars and amino acids, which are then easily absorbed into the mycelia network. Resulting in them acquiring all essential elements with which to grow fruit bodies, and spores (seed) by which they propagate their species.

It is common knowledge that most strains of Psilocybe Cubensis flourish in select warm moist habitats worldwide, associated where horses, cattle and water buffalo naturally spread bovine type manure. Consequently, Psilocybe Cubensis developed inherent genetic traits, enabling then to excrete specific enzymes best suited to enable them to specifically dissolve, digest and take up nutrients available from bovine type manure, and/or soil enriched with it.

Therefore, Psilocybe Cubensis own inherent genetic traits attest that bovine type manure alone, or soils highly enriched with it, is best suited to their nutrient needs, in the wild.

Taking that fact, one step further. Aged leached dry bovine type manure, when aerobically composted together with a small percent of other select fruits, vegetables, grains and straw provides an even more enriched super nutrient source for cultivation of Psilocybe Cubensis . Moreover, a compost of this type provides an ideal moist subsurface habitat (substrate) that, Psilocybe Cubensis mycelia will colonize faster than any other.

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3981605 - 03/28/05 07:30 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

I never heard of growing on canned corn specifically, but I have read reports of successfully using canned hominy, which is essentially corn. It may work but as Agar said, probably not very well.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: dog]
    #3981613 - 03/28/05 07:33 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

Bag of cracked corn or popcorn is going to cost just as much as X number of cans of corn so why not just eat the corn and buy some real substrate?  :shrug:

Offlineneoclimber
InformationJunky
Male User Gallery

Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3986170 - 03/29/05 04:47 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

There are many reasons why I was thinking about using canned corn but cost was not one of them. I don't grow bulk and I am not hurting for money so the difference between the price of cracked corn and canned corn is not near as important as the availability of the two. I live in the middle of a big city and we don't really have any Farmers Co-Op or Tractor Supplies centers around or any other stores that carry stuff like feed. Believe it or not it's easier to find a Ferrari Dealership than a bag of verm in Chicago. Chicago has all kinds of stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. and they have garden sections/departments but the inventory is all geared for urban living and doesn't have a lot of really basic stuff needed for myco. PS thanks Agar for the info.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Rest in peace brother.

Edited by neoclimber (03/29/05 04:48 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3986194 - 03/29/05 04:58 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

There are horse riding academy, horse stables in/or around big cities somewhere (almost always). Search them out for h/poo source. Also try ZOO, for bovine Zoo/Doo.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: agar]
    #3986213 - 03/29/05 05:07 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

Grocery stores like Shaws and Stop N Shop along with ace hardwares and other hardware/grocery stores all sell WBS in the pet section which would work better then the canned corn I'd bet. Cheaper too. Popcorn can be just as easily found too.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Canned whole corn kernals used as substrate? No mention of it in archives, anyone try? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3986227 - 03/29/05 05:13 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

:thumbup:Yup, and rye berries are found at health food stores & sometimes in bulk grocery stores. :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate