Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Beyond frustration
    #3981551 - 03/28/05 09:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm growing using the rye jar method, and have just finished tossing out 14 jars out of 40, and there are probably more contams to follow.

I just don;t get what I'm doing wrong..I soaked and simmered, then PCed for 11/2 hours. I did the inoculations in my bathroom, which I turned into a clean room. Everything was wiped down with Lysol and alcohol, I wore clean clothes & a mask, I did everything by the book.

I incubated the jars in a dark cleared out-closet at 85 F, I used a heater to bring up the temperature. I had to loosen the lids a bit for air exchange and the closet door was partway open to prevent the temperature from going too high. I guess this was enough to get contams, I'm just about at the end of my rope.

Should I be doing something different or is my house just too contaminated?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Beyond frustration [Re: firsttimer101]
    #3981562 - 03/28/05 09:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

as for you jar lids, are u using polyfil, tyvek, coffee filters? if ure using coffee filters then theres your porblem, if ure not using anything besides tinfoil that could be ure problem too, polyfil and tyvek are very good answers to this problem

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Beyond frustration [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #3981570 - 03/28/05 09:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

oh and remember it doesnt always matter how long u pc, how much u wipe down with lysol , and how well u simmer, it is also has a lot to do with wuts in the air thats why i asked u what filters ure using on the jar lids

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlineakpsyco
Stranger

Loc: Anchorage, AK summers Pr...
    #3981574 - 03/28/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sucks man, Its my first time too but Im using the PF tek. Brown Rice Flower and Verm. No contams in a dozen jars and my dorm room is dirty as hell. I dunno about the rye cakes but the dry layer of verm on top of my cakes seemed like a really good barrier to eliminate airborne contams after sterilization.
Good Luck man

--------------------
"The jaded ones will whither while the optimistic grow"

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3981576 - 03/28/05 09:18 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I had to loosen the lids a bit for air exchange

This is your mistake. Air exchange in grain jars is provided by a polyfill or a Tyvek filter. You cannot loosen the lids like in the PF tek because grain jars have no vermiculite contam barrier.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Re: Beyond frustration [Re: dog]
    #3981589 - 03/28/05 09:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I know that was the problem...I always do something wrong! I know air exhange isn't necessary until the jars are partly colonized. When the jars were 25% colonized I examined them and not one jar was contamintaed. Then I figured I had to loosen the lids and now, two days later, 25% are contaminated.

Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
    #3981609 - 03/28/05 09:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

One more question..does polyfill really help that much? I've read about it here before but it seems to me that microscopic spores wouldn't have a problem getting through some of that stuff.

I learn something new every screwup, the problem is that with every screw up I get more and more frustrated! I've been doing this for four months and have yet to see a single shroom!

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #3981651 - 03/28/05 09:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sure does help....I had some polyfill in the tube of my coolmist, I took some out because I wanted a little better airstream.

Two days later I got a couple of contams, and I realized that there was a small gap in the end of the hose not covered by polyfill, thus cunt hams!

Contams can't penetrate anymore than the outer layer of polyfill because it's just non-nutrious plasticlike filament that only gases can can travel thru.  :rocket:

Edited by kronnyQ (03/28/05 09:45 PM)

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3981686 - 03/28/05 09:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I learn something new every screwup

So long as you learn from your mistakes it is not wasted effort. Every successful cultivator on this board has made their share of mistakes. Keep at it and you will succeed.

Polyfill is a very effective filter and I find it more convenient than Tyvek. Polyfill is all that I use.

This is a pair of Polyfill jars containing sawdust being colonized by Shiitake.

One tip: when you are wadding the polyfill to stick through the hole in the jar lid, fold it - don't twist it. Twisting prevents good air flow.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Beyond frustration [Re: dog]
    #3981714 - 03/28/05 09:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Stick with it, all of us have eaten dust at one point or another. And still do occasionally. You usually don't see people advertisting their failed attempts because that wouldn't be so great for the image, now who wants that? With each failure you'll walk away with gained knowledge (what not to do next time!)

To second what Dog said in his post, PolyFill lids are terrific. It's all I use because: easy/cheap/great gas exchange/reuseable/1 lid, 1 hole, that's it.. What's not to like? They rock.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Re: Beyond frustration [Re: Holydiver]
    #3981991 - 03/28/05 10:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the encouragement...with three failures, I need it. To be fair to myself though I was unlucky in that my first exposure to growing was through that damn book by Oss & Oerek. They say to simply unscrew the lids partway and everything will be fine...yeah, what lab were they growing in?? In the real world, this obviously doesn't work very well.

I think I'm going to take the time to read through EVERYTHING on this site, it will save me a lot of grief. I've read a lot on here, but obviously not enough.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation