Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Yoga?
    #3978191 - 03/27/05 10:34 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

I really don't know much about Yoga. Anyone here into it? I'd like to hear about it if you are. Maybe how you go about it. Do you take classes? Internet? Do you like it?

Just tell me something, it seems interesting. Looks like.."body meditation", if I had to summarize my first impression.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: Yoga? [Re: freddurgan]
    #3978747 - 03/28/05 12:15 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

I do yoga every week. Yoga- disciplining your body. Its very good i think everyone should do yoga. You should try out a class.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Yoga? [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3978823 - 03/28/05 12:38 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

You start off with some simple postures, which all have their own yoga-ish name. Then when you are more flexible you can do some advanced ones, like this:

you don't have to shell out dollars for a class. You can learn all you need to know about yoga on the internet. Check http://www.erowid.org/spirit/yoga/yoga.shtml for some free info.

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
    #3979424 - 03/28/05 07:05 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

The true meaning of yoga is Union. Its nothing to do with all of these exercise regemes set out by clebereties who have stolen the name 'yoga' for marketing reasons and developed it into systems purely for health reasons. Yoga actaully originates from India where their are many systems of it for unifiing body, breath and mind with God and Supreme for quickening the deveplopment of spiritual realization.

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

Re: Yoga? [Re: egghead1]
    #3985876 - 03/29/05 02:48 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

I just reccently took a class in university on yoga. There was an hour asana (positions) and meditation practice plus 2 hours of theory. So yeah egghead is right, yoga wasn't essentially about exersice, but really it kinda is, the idea is to avoid mind body duelism and understand yourself as a whole being. There's also the notion of being mindful of your actions. So in doing the asana practice you pay attention to your breath and to your body, as well as your emotions interestingly enough. But anyways its ok to want to do yoga as exersice its really good. I do it almost everyday on my own. You can get a video on yoga, or sign up for a class its nice to have a teacher. As far as meditation goes I suppose you know you can just do it on your own. I say try it, its neat, it makes you feel good.

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
Re: Yoga? [Re: Gillette]
    #4001746 - 04/01/05 05:34 PM (19 years, 15 hours ago)

there are places that have free classes in florida outside of gainseville...but i am sure you could find infor on diffrent types of yogs if you go to google.com and type in the ?tion ...i hope that helps

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4004106 - 04/02/05 07:02 AM (19 years, 1 hour ago)

Can anyone recommend a dvd that is authentic and worth buying? I know classes are probably the best, but still... at least for the moment, if someone could point me towards a dvd that would be best right now. Anyone?

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4005117 - 04/02/05 01:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

egghead1 is quite right - the word Yoga has been appropriated by the 'body beautiful' people or the gymnast who has found a venue for his/her narcissism: large photo books and yet another arena of physical competition. The physical positions called Asanas, of which there are 84 basic forms, represent the 3rd limb of Ashtanga or Eight-Limbed Yoga. Patanjali codified this Ashtanga or Raja (Kingly) Yoga, which you can research on the net. The Yoga that emphasizes the Asanas over the other limbs is called Hatha Yoga [Ha=Sun, tha=Moon], the name refers to the masculine and feminine Union of Opposites symbolized in different ways by the 'mystical physiology' of the chakras and channels along the 'Staff of Brahman' [the spine].

Yoga can be practiced without the attending Indian metaphysics. In fact, there is a book by a Catholic monk, J.M. Dechanet called 'Christian Yoga' which received the 'Nihil Obstat' and 'Imprimitur' Catholic Church 'seals of approval.' I have practiced all limbs of Yoga - some limbs more than others at times, and a long period of a complete Yoga lifestyle - since 1973. I cannot imagine taking psychedelics without at least a few basic Asanas to smooth out pooled energy in the solar plexus. Yogic enstasy or the Samadhis are experienceable on psychedelics with breathing, concentrations and meditations that follow the postures. I know of no better way to deepen the psychedelic experience into classic forms of mystical experience than through Yoga [Union].

BTW, the first two limbs of Yoga - Yama and Niyama, entail ethical and moral constraints, and abstention from violence, casual sex and other base preoccupations and expenders of vital human energy. One cannot be a 'rip-and-dip' kind of guy, or be out jackin' someone's wheels...and then practice Yoga.

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/teachings/rajayoga.htm

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (04/02/05 01:44 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Yoga? [Re: Locus]
    #4037407 - 04/10/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I do not have a DVD in mind, but if you can find a copy of [the late] Swami Vishnudevananda's book The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga, it not only contains photos, but it contains a really readable explanation of Yoga philosophy. The book focuses on the Hatha Yoga Asanas, but it also shows how Asanas - the 3rd limb of 8 - fits into the total picture of Eight-Limbed classic Yoga philosophy.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder