Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing...
    #3978390 - 03/28/05 01:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I have two BOC cds; Geogaddi, and Music Has The Right To Children. I listen to them quite often and know many of the twisted melodies by heart. But the other week I drank a low dose of ayahuasca and had my mp3 player with me.

While slightly tripping and listening to this music through stereo headphones for the first time I noticed so many new things that I never heard before. For example, has anyone downloaded the "BrainWave Generator" for the "Trippy Downloads" link on the shroomery? The basic theory behind it is that the use of binural beats (a constant, repetitive, vibrato wah wah wah that pans very quickly between both ears at different frequencies and pitches) can alter the way your brain functions, and if done with the right frequencies can make you brain more ready to learn, meditate, be hypnotized, etc.

Well anyways, while listening to BOC through headphones for the first time I noticed the INCREDIBLE and intricate amount of panning that these dudes use! I'm telling you, you are SUPPOSED to listen to this music with stereo headphones (where each speaker can make noise seperately)!

So this one song, "The devil is in the details" from Geogaddi comes on while I was tripping and I notice these binural beats in the song! Then really quiet, you can hear this distorted, relaxing female voice. You can't hear what she is saying most of the time, but every once in a while you can make out words, and it's always stuff like "...we are reprogramming your unconscious mind...*distorted words*... you are being transformed in a healthy and positive way..."

OH MY GOD!! I always new that this music made me feel really good, and I knew they used a lot of subliminal noises, but I never realized how well these dudes have thier shit together. They know what they are doing, and they are trying to influence us in powerful, positive ways! I love this shit!

If you've never heard any Boards of Canada, I suggest that you go out and buy an album RIGHT NOW! You will not regret it! And if you have never listened to them through stereo headphones, do that now too! I know "Geogaddi" and "Music has the Right to Children" use this intricate panning, but from what I've downloaded of their earlier stuff it doesn't seem like always did that. It's still awsome music though!

Does anyone know if BOC does live shows? How can I find out? I would totally go there tripping! Or even sober! Either way it would be amazing!

anyways, peace, and chicken grease,

Dr0mni

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: dr0mni]
    #3978733 - 03/28/05 02:13 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

first off, anyone who hasnt listened to boards of canada has no idea what theyre missing. they are what i would refer to as the true divine sounds of earth. no one has EVER come close to moving me the way they have. everyone should go otu and buy/download "music has the right for children" for starters. this album will make you feel like you're in kindergarden again, i gaurentee it.

boards of canada RARELY do live shows. in fact, they rarely make public appearances whether its terms of interviews or performing at shows. they keep themselves secluded and live very private lives. they dont believe in the internet either and think it's an evil entity (thier website http://www.hexagonsun.com pretty much says it all).

i see you only got two of thier albums, my man. go out and get these releases by them in this order :

a beautiful place out in the country
hi-scores
twoism

all of them have been repressed on warp so it shouldnt be hard to find on ebay or amazon. if ANYONE has any of thier old tapes (not the ones randomly released on the net, im talkin the actual tapes/cd's that were repressed), hit me with a PM because i will BUY these tapes/cd's from you for a VERY high price.

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: FleaAccela]
    #3978947 - 03/28/05 03:09 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Only a matter of time before I chime in on a thread like this... :smile:

They are indeed my favorite as well. It's pretty obvious if you listen to the music I make that they have a heavy influence on me and my output. I go through periods of in-depth audio research, often taking a BoC song into Cubase and singling out each L/R channel, or stereo-flip it so that every common frequency between the L/R channels are eliminated (therefore all you hear is what is unique in each ear--the hard-panned stuff). I'm familiar with BWGen also, and I'm sure these guys have researched that stuff a lot. Their subtle wavy tuning throughout songs really leads me to that.

The first thing I noticed was the heartbeat in "Turqoise Hexagon Sun". After a hundred times listening to this song on my speakers, I put on my headphones and noticed (starting at 2:03) the heartbeat on each downbeat.

I think Geogaddi(66:06) is a lot more indepth in their experimentation of acoustics and whatnot. "Ready Let's Go" has extreme panning usage with the wavy tuning and the individually filter'd L/R that really fucks with your head.

Research online about Number Stations, and you'll hear a strong influence from that weird phenomena on Gyroscope, among others.
-Julie and Candy convinced me that I'm listening to more than my ears can immediately comprehend.
-In 1969, the vocals are of a clip about a Davidian named Amo Bishop Roden (name of a track on "beautiful place out in the coutnry". From  here : "The woman mentioned in 1969 is Amo Bishop Roden (from 'In a beautiful place in the country'). The voice says 'Although not a follower of hseroK divaD, she's a devoted branch davidian' (Branch Davidian was a sect led by David Koresh). Track length is 4:19 the Branch Davidian Camp David 'massacre', in Waco Texas, occured on April 19, 1993, or 4-19-93." Also, when '1969' is sung, it is completely out of phase-- this means that when a channel's phase is flipped it will cancel it out almost completely from the track.
-"Devil is In The Details" text is out on the net somewhere... it's a hypnotist speech. In an interview BoC said the synth melody in this track is based on a familiar number sequence (although I haven't figured it out yet.)
-"A is to B as B is to C" (Fibonnaci Sequence) convinced me that they value their songs played backwards just as much as they do played forwards. Also their use of audio palindromes is Dastardly clever!
-"You Could Feel The Sky" has a LOT going on under the surface. someone out on the net was convinced by slowing down a part of the song he could hear a woman screaming and a bell ringing (~2:19). I hear it too, I think. Also, "A god with horns" is said... Both lending to the theory that they are Wiccan, or at least interested in that sort of thing.
Also, try and find the track only released on Japanese import version of Geogaddi called "The One Source from Which All Things Depend".

There's no doubt they're trying to fuck with your head. They've spent a lot of time researching acoustic phenomena and other natural phenomena. They've said multiple times in  (their few) interviews that they are vastly occupied with this kind of thing. There aren't many acts out there that put so much depth into their music. BoC is at the top of the list.

Read their track names...
I'll probably be inspired to write more soon.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: Blastrid]
    #3979764 - 03/28/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I have some trouble connecting songs with song titles because I just listen to the cd, and threw away the case a long time ago. But I recognize all of those titles.

I wonder if we could convice them to do a live show. Maybe we could set up a Shroomery forest gathering, donating all the proceeds to tsunami victims, or maybe even MAPS (multidiciplinary association for psycedelic studies). That would be the best gathering ever!

I'll have to look for that japanese track...

It's nice to have someone who knows some shit about making this type of music comment, instead of just hearing me go "their so fucking cool!"

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3979959 - 03/28/05 01:26 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yes, boc is my favorite as well. as far as I know, they rarely perform live - although I have one or two bootlegs.

visit: http://www.speakeasy.org/~adbrown/boc.html

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: Vvellum]
    #3980967 - 03/28/05 06:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

thats a pretty cool idea about doing a show in the woods. you can always write them a letter via snail mail :

boards of canada
hexagon sun
po box 28607
edinburgh, scotland eh14 7ya
u.k

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3981009 - 03/28/05 06:44 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

BOC is what was currently playing when i noticed this thread.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: derx]
    #3983581 - 03/29/05 02:51 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

BOC is what was currently playing when i noticed this thread.

THAT'S what I'm talkin about.

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

#3983749 - 03/29/05 03:27 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You might also want to have a look at this site

--------------------

Edited by ivi (05/17/05 03:36 PM)

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: ivi]
    #3984064 - 03/29/05 05:07 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ivi said:
You might also want to have a look at this site

what an awesome site!!!!!

once again ive spent 3 hours reading about the boards of canada. excellent site, i loved it! good lookin out! so many dope links and interesting tidbits. cant believe the site linked to the actualy sample source for "energy warning". so nuts!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineGapingLotus
mysteriouswanderer

#3991056 - 03/30/05 05:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

what are your favorite albums by BOC?? i bought geogaddi a few months ago and it defiantly opened a new world of music to me.
very mesmerizing.

--------------------
And all the hippies gonna lick the mind of god..
'cause it's a mushroom festival in hell.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: GapingLotus]
    #3991705 - 03/30/05 08:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to The Shroomery!

Yeah, Geogaddi is my favorite as well. It took me a dozen listens til I stopped looking over my shoulder every 5 minutes...

I love MHRTC, but I think Geogaddi is deeper, and better.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

#3992758 - 03/31/05 12:05 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Does anyone have any new information about the upcoming BoC album? Tids, bits, rumours. Anything! :crazy:

--------------------

OfflineAsco
Explorer of theMind

Loc: Montreal
    #3992771 - 03/31/05 12:07 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Someone said on these boards I think that they knew someone working for the BoC cd producer or distributer and that they were supposed to come with something this year.

But that's just a far fectched rumor lol

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #3993800 - 03/31/05 07:11 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FleaAccela said:
that's a pretty cool idea about doing a show in the woods. you can always write them a letter via snail mail :

boards of Canada
hexagon sun
PO box 28607
Edinburgh, Scotland eh14 7ya
u.k

They are VERY hard to reach, I once tried to send them one of my tracks.
I had an ongoing email contact with their producers head office. She would try to give my email and track out to them. But after many emails she told me they almost never come where she was. And that it would be better to write them a letter. Then I gave up on it..

We are all human, as are they. They just know something most other humans don't.
I guess the real question is, what do you want to know?

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: Fliquid]
    #3994248 - 03/31/05 10:46 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Honestly, I don't want to look too deep into their music, because once you know about all the specifics then they are no longer mysterious. I'd rather just listen and enjoy instead of ruining it by over analyzing.

I just know that it's deep, complex, emotional, and TRIPPY as fuck!

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

Re: I Love Boards of Canada! They are hypnotizing... [Re: Fliquid]
    #3994427 - 03/31/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

We don't keep in touch with anyone in the music world. It doesn't pay to be involved with people in the music industry. There's no specific preference or prejudice. We just keep everyone at the same distance.

- Michael Sandison

Quote:

We get sent a lot of music to our postal box, and I try to listen to as much of it as possible. I've noticed that it falls into two camps, a small amount is really original stuff that's beautiful, like Aspera, and the Anticon stuff, but a lot of the other music going about is just samey laptop clicky tracks.

- Marcus Eoin

--------------------

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #3994462 - 03/31/05 11:38 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I know, and after that I decided they make nice music and know some special things. And I should stop worshiping them and become my own idol instead.

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#3996915 - 03/31/05 08:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That made me surprised to see their 'stamp of approval' on a CD I just bought by the artist BIBIO.

Very good album, great mix of lo-fi and hi-fi. In fact it's called "Fi".

Get it!

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

#3997333 - 03/31/05 09:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

they did a remix on the new beck album (on the dvd set i guess) of his tune "broken drum".

http://www.beck.com/diskobox/song.php?id=00481

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media