Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Television is to blame
    #3975705 - 03/27/05 12:30 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Teen sex, drugs link to bedroom TVs
March 28, 2005
thesundaymail.news.com.au

TEENAGERS who have a television in their bedroom are more likely to use marijuana, smoke, binge drink and have sex, a study has found.

The increased and unsupervised exposure to risk-taking behaviour shown in the media is blamed for the trend, picked up in the US study by the University of California and published in medical journal Australian Doctor.

The reduced interaction with parents caused when some used the TV as a `baby-sitter' was also found to have contributed.

The survey of more than 1000 adolescents between 12 and 16 years of age revealed half had a TV in their bedroom and watched more hours of TV than those without.

Parents of teenagers with a television in their bedroom were also less likely to know how, where and with whom they spent after-school hours.

Child and Youth Health Youth Help Line and Parent Help Line manager Bernice Gray agreed with researchers that teenagers were more vulnerable to adopting similar behaviour when they had direct access to a television.

She said while all family members need their own space to relax, too much unsupervised television can lead to young people taking part in risky behaviour.

"Often a parent may not be comfortable talking about sexual activity or smoking and it is important for parents to get that conversation going and encourage young people to express their thoughts and concerns," she said.

"It depends on how often they watch private TV and it is a timely reminder for parents, not to monitor what they are watching, but keep a watching brief and ask questions and be involved."

She suggested parents keep an evening free for the whole family to spend time together to talk about issues or just catch up with everyone else's lives.

Hayley Bell, 20, of Surrey Downs in Adeliade, had a TV in her bedroom all through high school and said she does not believe it affected her behaviour.

"I probably watched more TV in the family room with the family than in my room," she said.

"We are a pretty close family and generally had all our meals together, so we interacted with each other in that way and have kept that up."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: Television is to blame [Re: veggie]
    #3975711 - 03/27/05 12:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

wtf

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Television is to blame [Re: Locus]
    #3976200 - 03/27/05 04:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Wow!  That explains alot about me.  Maybe I would be a sober virgin if I did not have a TV in my room when I was growing up. :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
    #3976325 - 03/27/05 04:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
TEENAGERS who have a television in their bedroom are more likely to use marijuana, smoke, binge drink and have sex

Long live Television :rockon:

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#3976412 - 03/27/05 05:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Teen sex and drug use is the result of exposure to the real world, whether that comes from the filtered version on TV or actually going outside one's home and experiencing it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service