Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineCaptain Loafy McPoopdick
(4 1 2)

Loc: 1 5 1 3 6
Pink Floyd
    #3973480 - 03/26/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

So what are you fovorite Pink Floyd songs? I recently started listening to them and Led Zeppelin and really like them both. I need more songs by them though other than songs on dark side of the moon.
any suggestions? :smile: :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: Captain Loafy McPoopdick]
    #3973489 - 03/26/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

the songs on 'Wish you were here' are really good too :laugh:

Offlinesublimistri
Higher Than AKite
Male User Gallery

Loc: Forgotten
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: stefan]
    #3973542 - 03/26/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Comfortably Numb , Mother , Goodbye Blue Sky , and im not sure of the name of the song but the one that says "Wish you were here" in the song. Are some my favorites.

--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.

Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinememory
Stranger
    #3973587 - 03/26/05 06:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:mushroom2: :mushroom2:almost all pink floyd songs are good for me.my favorites would have to be another brick in the wall pt.2,confortably numb,wish you were here, and time. :mushroom2:

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#3973610 - 03/26/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Get piper at the Gates of Dawn or Relics if you want some Freak Out Psychadelic Rock.

Get Ummaguma or A Saucerful of Secrets if you want some experimental insanity.

Get Meddle for a good mix of dark and light Floyd.

Get Atom Heart Mother for some ominous brooding instrumental bombast.

Get Animals for a perfect concept album that takes you to the bottom and delivers you to ecstacy.

Get Wish You Were Here or Dark Side of the Moon if you want to see "accesible" rock and roll taken to a new height.

Get The Wall for...well, just get The Wall.

Don't get Pink Floyd songs, get Pink Floyd albums.

(4 1 2)

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: Viveka]
    #3973620 - 03/26/05 06:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think i'll take your advice sir. these random songs just aren't cutting it.
And i'm liking the suggestions guys!

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3973649 - 03/26/05 06:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

atom heart mother
Bike
Wish you were here
Another Brick in the Wall Part 3

Offlinelilbilski4life
fear andloathing inbozeman

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: vampirism]
    #3973726 - 03/26/05 07:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hahah, the real qustion is wat pink floyds song u guys dont like...

--------------------
------------------------------------------------

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: lilbilski4life]
    #3973887 - 03/26/05 07:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

the whole 2nd cd of the wall.

OfflineSirFrancisBacon
Frog
 User Gallery

Loc: low earth orbit
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: trick]
    #3973938 - 03/26/05 08:09 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

When the tigers broke free is a must listen.

Invisiblephalloidin

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: SirFrancisBacon]
    #3973958 - 03/26/05 08:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

definitely check out echoes off of the meddle album

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: Viveka]
    #3974010 - 03/26/05 08:29 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

EvilEye? said:
Don't get Pink Floyd songs, get Pink Floyd albums.

Well said.

Animals and Wish You Were Here are my favorites.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: phalloidin]
    #3974033 - 03/26/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Echos is a great 2 CD of their greatest hits if you want to hear a variety from all their albums. Plus its got Shine on you Crazy Diamond all put together.

But I have to agree buy albums, and buy the wall first.

On a side note you mentioned Zeppelin and if you want the best of zeppelin you have to buy "How the West Was Won" Its a live 3 CD set, great stuff. Also pick up the zeppelin DVD and be fucking amazed by "since I've Been Loving you"

Some other stuff you might like

TOMMY by the who and alot of other people.(Great album for the stoner crowd)

Anything by the Beatles( I mean anything I have yet to hear a bad Beatles song), but The White album, Magical Mystery Tour, Let it be, and Abby Road are some of my favorites albums.

Harvest by Neil Young, his best album. If you like accoustic stuff.

Creedence Clearwater Revival, get a greatest hits there is one that has a blue cover and has around 20 tracks that is good.

I could go on for a while but I reckon you have more than enough suggestions to last a while. Peace man

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Edited by blaze2 (03/26/05 08:39 PM)

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: Blastrid]
    #3974044 - 03/26/05 08:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Live at Pompei set list is good imo
Get the DVD if you're into that stuff.

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

(4 1 2)

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: blaze2]
    #3974270 - 03/26/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"since i've been loving you" is one of the greatest songs that i've heard so far by Zeppelin IMO, i'll def. have to pick up that DVD
I'm getting excited it's such great music!
thanks all

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

#3974813 - 03/27/05 12:03 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

man, pink floyd are some wild characters. listen to these guys here, "don't listen to pink floyd songs, listen to pink floyd ALBUMS". this is completely correct as they seem to release concept albums for most of their releases (i mean, at least that's what im thinking, animals, dark side, wish you were here, the wall, meddle, they all seem to have a particular theme that flows through each song - please correct me if im wrong).

but hearing just a few cuts off a pink floyd album is like reading just a few random chapters in a book. you'll never know the story until you read it from start to finish.

for zeppelin, their music changed and progressed with time. my personal favorites are their first 3 albums, very very blues heavy and raw (well, at least the first two). the other two albums i would suggest that would be most "first time listener" friendly would be "houses of the holy" and "physical graffiti", both awesome!!! and don't EVER EVER sleep on their album "presence", what a fuckin album that is! from Achilles last stand - an epic classic jam, to candy store rock - so fucking catchy, "presence" is an album that any self-respecting rock connoisseur should have in his or her collection.

other suggestions i would give would be the band "yes". they have two great albums you should check out which are definitely excellent trip albums, "fragile" and "close to the edge". very intricate and layered out properly. extremely funky for some white boys, unbelievably funky for some white boys.

one more for the record ima spout out randomly would be aerosmith. their early works like their first album (self titled or "featuring dream on", whatever you wanna call it) and toys in the attic are masterpieces in their own rights. very raw, very bluesy, very music, very powerful and above all, very VERY classic. any album including "draw the line" or anything released afterwards is not really worth a listen, so don't waste your time.

oh yeah, also, you might wanna check out a band called "rush" as well. 3 of the most talented musicians you'll ever heard with smart and sophisticated lyrics. true geniuses of our time. check out their first album which is self titled to hear them flex their basic skills as musicians and then proceed to check out albums like "caress of steel", "2112" and "permanent waves" to hear them showcase their full powerhouse sound and progression as artists.

on a side note, someone mentioned "whats your least favorite pink floyd album?" or something to that particular effect. honestly, id have to say it might just be "the wall". its a bit too dramatic and overproduced with theatrics. definitely not saying its a bad album, because it's not a bad album, it has it's moments which are beyond buttery. however, a few good apples can't make the whole barrel kosher. it's a bit overrated and floyd has done much better time and time again, but it's definitely not my favorite.

again! the wall is not a bad album, it's just not the best they could do, either.

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
    #3974966 - 03/27/05 01:12 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Man just do yourself a life changing favor get "dark side of the moon" get yourself stoned, comfortable and ready to listen. Turn off the lights turn your stereo all the way up and press play. I know this sounds like some stereotypical hippy crap, but just try it.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: gluke bastid]
    #3976524 - 03/27/05 03:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Division Bell is a good album that hardly gets mentioned.

:darkside:

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3977119 - 03/27/05 06:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I quite like Echoes and San Tropez from Meddle, also Breathe from DSOTM.

(4 1 2)

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: faslimy]
    #3981224 - 03/28/05 05:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't mean to bump this thread if I am, just to ask this question. what type of music would Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin be considered, Classic Rock?

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3984510 - 03/29/05 08:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Pink Floyd is considered rock, but what style is up for debate. Psychedelia, progressive, experimental, jazz-infused?

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: jux]
    #3985616 - 03/29/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Led zeppelin is considered several things "arena rock", "classic rock", "heavy metal"(I know they arent that heavy but at the time they were) Its not really very cool to categorize music tho. so just call it fucking great.

If you are feeling really adventerous you should look into getting a turntable and some albums. At Half-Price-books you can buy 3 or 4 records for what one CD would have cost you, and they sound better. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblegargeug
northwestern hopper
Loc: Eugene, OR
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: blaze2]
    #3985883 - 03/29/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

There is no way you can simply categorize floyd with anyone else. No one came up with music similar to floyd, including themselves. Every album progressed much farther than the previous. In their early days, I believe they called themselves astonomy rock,or something to that effect, becaused they were so obsessed with space. But the wall is sooooo different than say atom heart mother and meddle. So if many of their albums can't even be categorized together, then it is impossible to categorize the band.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #3989732 - 03/30/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

As many have said, you don't listen to Floyd songs, you listen to Floyd albums. They do a better job than anyone else of making the songs blend into one another.

Echoes (a compilation) will give you a good idea of what each album is like, then start buying them, one by one. I'd do it chronologically, to witness the evolution first hand, but whatever does it for you.

My favorite Floyd songs:

The Great Gig in the Sky - Dark Side of the Moon
Shine on you Crazy Diamond Pt. I - Wish You Were Here
Echoes - Meddle

Collect 'em all!

Something weird: just as I was posting this, a guy walked by in the library where I am wearing a Dark Side of The Moon hoodie. I think that's an omen of sorts for you.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisiblegargeug
northwestern hopper
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #3991453 - 03/30/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Another list of great floyd songs:

Fat Old Sun- Atom Heart Mother
Comfortably Numb- Wall
Marooned- Division Bell

But I applaud you Cyber Chump because that is the only way to listen to floyd is through the album. Most people don't know that. But instead of listening to the evolution of them when you are first getting into floyd. I think you should begin with the great 4.
1)Dark Side
2)Wish You Were Here
3)Animals
4)The Wall

Because in order to really enjoy Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, and Momentary Lapse of Reason, I think you need to develop an ear and liking for floyd. Then there is the Division Bell. Most people don't like it because it was without Waters, but if you don't think moronically like that and actually listen to it, it is a beautiful album.

Does anybody have any thoughts about the Division Bell?

PS- I was gonna give you a 5 shroom, but I don't have 25 posts yet, maybe when I'm older.

Edited by gargeug (03/30/05 04:51 PM)

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3992556 - 03/30/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If you ever get a chance watch the DVD of their live performance in Berlin 89/90. It is simply the most incredible performance I could ever imagine a band giving.

Invisiblegargeug
northwestern hopper
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: newuser1492]
    #3992706 - 03/30/05 09:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have looked for it on the internet, but couldn't find it, do you know anywhere that has a copy of it?

Also, if you get the chance, go see a tribute band of Pink Floyd. Amazing!!! There is nothing like hearing the music of floyd live. I saw Wish You Were Here last year at Nelson's Ledges in Ohio after munching on 4 g of mushrooms, and they kicked ass. They have the light show and everything. Also that night I saw The Doors and Jimi Hendrix. I highly recommend going to Nelson's Ledges for a festival everyone. A couple hundred acres of cool people on shrooms,acid,and toking lots of weed, with amazing bands, a beach, and a lake, and no cops, ever!!! Great.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there, but I get carried away trying to let people know about this place.

Offlineblkhole
Comfortably Numb

Loc: Tinpan Alley
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: gargeug]
    #3997274 - 03/31/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Division Bell is one of my favorites as well, but Animals takes the cake for me. I also love the up-beatness of Meddle and how different it sounds than most other Floyd. It's hard to pick a favorite album because they're all so different. It's like comparing The Beatles to Tool (something I hear people doing often).

--------------------
With our love, we could save the world, if they only knew...
-George Harrison R.I.P.

http://irevolution.org

Invisiblegargeug
northwestern hopper
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: blkhole]
    #3998482 - 04/01/05 01:23 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Who says that the 2nd half of the wall isn't good. Have you listened to the second half of the wall, or do you just like the song another brick in the wall!!! The second half is better than the first half!!!. It has such great songs as Hey You, Vera, Nobody Home, Comfortably Numb, and The Trial.

Is this an April Fools joke?

If anything, the very earliest shit is the hardest to enjoy because it is extremely psychedelic. If you are going to begin listening to Floyd, listen to it in this order.
1)Dark Side of the Moon
2)Wish You Were Here
3)The Wall
4)Animals
5)The Division Bell
6)Meddle
7)A Momentary Lapse of Reason
8)Atom Heart Mother

Then you can just listen to the other stuff as you please because by the time you can listen to Atom Heart Mother, you can listen to any Floyd and truly enjoy it.

OfflinePiperAtThyGates
Pinkfloydiac

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: gargeug]
    #4006543 - 04/02/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I wish there were more Pink Floyd apreciating guys like you in my area.

I would have to so that instead of just getting Floyd songs, buy their albums.

My personal favorites are:

1.Wish you were Here- Shine on you crazy Diamond Part One
2.Piper at the Gates of Dawn- Matilda Mother
3.Meddle- Echoes
4.Darkside of the Moon- Breathe
5.Atom Heart Mother - Fat Old Sun

OfflineNaggar

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: PiperAtThyGates]
    #4997442 - 11/30/05 04:45 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

you disgust me trick....

Offlinejustin85
Bubbles
 User Gallery

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: Naggar]
    #4998599 - 11/30/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Pink Floyd is great, you have to listen to the whole albums. Dark Side of the Moon is quite an emotional roller-coaster when your tripping! The Wall is also great...one of my favorites is Empty Spaces...does anyone know why the whole thing isn't on the album but it is in the movie? its a great song

Zep is my #1 favorite though. some favs are
Since Ive Been Lovin You (live versions are sweet)
The Lemon Song
No Quarter
Thats The Way
but they are all fantastic

--------------------

Offlineloopin20
Stranger
Female
    #4998871 - 11/30/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I like pretty much anything that Pink Floyd has ever done. I've tripped on about every Floyd song there is and every one was profound. Even the early experimental stuff is incredible.

After getting everything PF that you can get your hands on, start looking into their solo work. David Gilmour's album "David Gilmour" is an incredible piece of work.

OfflineTonguesInAspic
petty villagerin the court ofthe crimson king
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: loopin20]
    #5059730 - 12/13/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

if you like really experimental pink floyd like the machine song ( or whatever its called) on wish you were here you might be interested in King Crimson which is very experimental prog/ psychedelic rock i suggest  the album Red or Lark's tongues in aspic :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract