Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: Captain Loafy McPoopdick]
    #3984510 - 03/29/05 08:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Pink Floyd is considered rock, but what style is up for debate. Psychedelia, progressive, experimental, jazz-infused?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: jux]
    #3985616 - 03/29/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Led zeppelin is considered several things "arena rock", "classic rock", "heavy metal"(I know they arent that heavy but at the time they were) Its not really very cool to categorize music tho. so just call it fucking great.

If you are feeling really adventerous you should look into getting a turntable and some albums. At Half-Price-books you can buy 3 or 4 records for what one CD would have cost you, and they sound better. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblegargeug
northwestern hopper
Loc: Eugene, OR
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: blaze2]
    #3985883 - 03/29/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

There is no way you can simply categorize floyd with anyone else. No one came up with music similar to floyd, including themselves. Every album progressed much farther than the previous. In their early days, I believe they called themselves astonomy rock,or something to that effect, becaused they were so obsessed with space. But the wall is sooooo different than say atom heart mother and meddle. So if many of their albums can't even be categorized together, then it is impossible to categorize the band.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #3989732 - 03/30/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

As many have said, you don't listen to Floyd songs, you listen to Floyd albums. They do a better job than anyone else of making the songs blend into one another.

Echoes (a compilation) will give you a good idea of what each album is like, then start buying them, one by one. I'd do it chronologically, to witness the evolution first hand, but whatever does it for you.

My favorite Floyd songs:

The Great Gig in the Sky - Dark Side of the Moon
Shine on you Crazy Diamond Pt. I - Wish You Were Here
Echoes - Meddle

Collect 'em all!

Something weird: just as I was posting this, a guy walked by in the library where I am wearing a Dark Side of The Moon hoodie. I think that's an omen of sorts for you.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisiblegargeug
northwestern hopper
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #3991453 - 03/30/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Another list of great floyd songs:

Fat Old Sun- Atom Heart Mother
Comfortably Numb- Wall
Marooned- Division Bell

But I applaud you Cyber Chump because that is the only way to listen to floyd is through the album. Most people don't know that. But instead of listening to the evolution of them when you are first getting into floyd. I think you should begin with the great 4.
1)Dark Side
2)Wish You Were Here
3)Animals
4)The Wall

Because in order to really enjoy Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, and Momentary Lapse of Reason, I think you need to develop an ear and liking for floyd. Then there is the Division Bell. Most people don't like it because it was without Waters, but if you don't think moronically like that and actually listen to it, it is a beautiful album.

Does anybody have any thoughts about the Division Bell?

PS- I was gonna give you a 5 shroom, but I don't have 25 posts yet, maybe when I'm older.

Edited by gargeug (03/30/05 04:51 PM)

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3992556 - 03/30/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If you ever get a chance watch the DVD of their live performance in Berlin 89/90. It is simply the most incredible performance I could ever imagine a band giving.

Invisiblegargeug
northwestern hopper
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: newuser1492]
    #3992706 - 03/30/05 09:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have looked for it on the internet, but couldn't find it, do you know anywhere that has a copy of it?

Also, if you get the chance, go see a tribute band of Pink Floyd. Amazing!!! There is nothing like hearing the music of floyd live. I saw Wish You Were Here last year at Nelson's Ledges in Ohio after munching on 4 g of mushrooms, and they kicked ass. They have the light show and everything. Also that night I saw The Doors and Jimi Hendrix. I highly recommend going to Nelson's Ledges for a festival everyone. A couple hundred acres of cool people on shrooms,acid,and toking lots of weed, with amazing bands, a beach, and a lake, and no cops, ever!!! Great.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there, but I get carried away trying to let people know about this place.

Offlineblkhole
Comfortably Numb

Loc: Tinpan Alley
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: gargeug]
    #3997274 - 03/31/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Division Bell is one of my favorites as well, but Animals takes the cake for me. I also love the up-beatness of Meddle and how different it sounds than most other Floyd. It's hard to pick a favorite album because they're all so different. It's like comparing The Beatles to Tool (something I hear people doing often).

--------------------
With our love, we could save the world, if they only knew...
-George Harrison R.I.P.

http://irevolution.org

Invisiblegargeug
northwestern hopper
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: blkhole]
    #3998482 - 04/01/05 01:23 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Who says that the 2nd half of the wall isn't good. Have you listened to the second half of the wall, or do you just like the song another brick in the wall!!! The second half is better than the first half!!!. It has such great songs as Hey You, Vera, Nobody Home, Comfortably Numb, and The Trial.

Is this an April Fools joke?

If anything, the very earliest shit is the hardest to enjoy because it is extremely psychedelic. If you are going to begin listening to Floyd, listen to it in this order.
1)Dark Side of the Moon
2)Wish You Were Here
3)The Wall
4)Animals
5)The Division Bell
6)Meddle
7)A Momentary Lapse of Reason
8)Atom Heart Mother

Then you can just listen to the other stuff as you please because by the time you can listen to Atom Heart Mother, you can listen to any Floyd and truly enjoy it.

OfflinePiperAtThyGates
Pinkfloydiac

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: gargeug]
    #4006543 - 04/02/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I wish there were more Pink Floyd apreciating guys like you in my area.

I would have to so that instead of just getting Floyd songs, buy their albums.

My personal favorites are:

1.Wish you were Here- Shine on you crazy Diamond Part One
2.Piper at the Gates of Dawn- Matilda Mother
3.Meddle- Echoes
4.Darkside of the Moon- Breathe
5.Atom Heart Mother - Fat Old Sun

OfflineNaggar

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: PiperAtThyGates]
    #4997442 - 11/30/05 04:45 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

you disgust me trick....

Offlinejustin85
Bubbles
 User Gallery

Re: Pink Floyd [Re: Naggar]
    #4998599 - 11/30/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Pink Floyd is great, you have to listen to the whole albums. Dark Side of the Moon is quite an emotional roller-coaster when your tripping! The Wall is also great...one of my favorites is Empty Spaces...does anyone know why the whole thing isn't on the album but it is in the movie? its a great song

Zep is my #1 favorite though. some favs are
Since Ive Been Lovin You (live versions are sweet)
The Lemon Song
No Quarter
Thats The Way
but they are all fantastic

--------------------

Offlineloopin20
Stranger
Female
    #4998871 - 11/30/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I like pretty much anything that Pink Floyd has ever done. I've tripped on about every Floyd song there is and every one was profound. Even the early experimental stuff is incredible.

After getting everything PF that you can get your hands on, start looking into their solo work. David Gilmour's album "David Gilmour" is an incredible piece of work.

OfflineTonguesInAspic
petty villagerin the court ofthe crimson king
Re: Pink Floyd [Re: loopin20]
    #5059730 - 12/13/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

if you like really experimental pink floyd like the machine song ( or whatever its called) on wish you were here you might be interested in King Crimson which is very experimental prog/ psychedelic rock i suggest  the album Red or Lark's tongues in aspic :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order